Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

U S Embassy In Bangkok Issues Security Warnings To Citizens In Thailand

599 posts in this topic

US Embassy in Bangkok issues security warnings to citizens in Thailand

BANGKOK, 17 September 2012 (NNT) -The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok has updated its security warnings to U.S. citizens in Thailand, following a spate of attacks and protests worldwide over a film made in the US deemed insulting to Islam.

According to the emergency message issued by the embassy, U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a heightened awareness and to keep a low profile when out in public, after four American personnel, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, were killed in Benghazi, Libya, last week.

The embassy further stated that it is saddened by the deaths and elaborated that U.S Embassies in Egypt and Yemen have also faced protests last week.

U.S. citizens are advised to call the U.S. Embassy at 02- 205-4000 or visit the U.S. Citizens Service website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/ for more information, as the most updated information will be posted on the site.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Royal Thai Police has reaffirmed that all related agencies are stepping up security measures in the face of growing risks. Security personnel and Metropolitan police have been closely monitoring the situation for any signs of possible attacks. However, the police are not aware of any specific threat to U.S. citizens in Thailand at the moment.

UPDATE:

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand has been informed by the Royal Thai Police that a demonstration involving several hundred people is planned on Wireless Road in front of the Embassy beginning between 1 PM and 2 PM on Tuesday, September 18. Demonstrators will assemble at Lumpini Park and march to the Embassy. The large number of demonstrators is expected to disrupt traffic in the area. Consequently, the Embassy will be closing to the public at noon on September 18 and non-essential personnel will be released. Visa and citizen services appointments scheduled for the afternoon of September 18 are being cancelled and rescheduled for later dates.

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is not aware at this time of any specific threat to U.S. citizens in Thailand. As a general precaution, the U.S. Embassy advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. You should avoid areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations or large gatherings. You should monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information about demonstrations and areas to avoid.

Source: Email from US Embassy, Bangkok

http://bangkok.usemb...itymessage.html

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-17 footer_n.gif

ID: 3   Posted · Hidden by george, September 17, 2012 - No reason given

Hope I can change my American accent into Tinglish, or Italian Englishhhaaa------coffee1.gif

And lets hope it stays that way, with out threat, looking at the last sentence of the article, or threat to any citizens, American, Thai or otherwise.

ID: 5   Posted · Hidden by george, September 17, 2012 - No reason given

Hope I can change my American accent into Tinglish, or Italian Englishhhaaa------coffee1.gif

start practising your g'day cobber.

Tip - g'day is one word not two.

2 people like this

I can't believe a crappy movie is making such an impact.

The producer needs a lot of money to pay off fines related to a prison sentence in the US. Close to a million dollars.

Where we can see that movie ? I still have a few pop corns.

here:

1 person likes this

ID: 10   Posted · Hidden by Scott, September 17, 2012 - Incorrect

Thing is, this crappy movie was made by a known Israeli National, who has a long line of criminal arrests and records as long as your arm, from car theft, to International crimes. Why this prick is still running around in the US is the amazing part, he just wanted to stir up trouble.

2 people like this

ID: 11   Posted · Hidden by george, September 17, 2012 - No reason given

Two syllables, though

ID: 12   Posted · Hidden by Scott, September 17, 2012 - reply to deleted post

Thing is, this crappy movie was made by a known Israeli National, who has a long line of criminal arrests and records as long as your arm, from car theft, to International crimes. Why this prick is still running around in the US is the amazing part, he just wanted to stir up trouble.

No, he is an EGYPTIAN NATIONAL. and a Coptic Christian who hates Muslims.

Part of the meme they are trying to spin is that he is Israeli or had israeli backers.

2 people like this

ID: 13   Posted · Hidden by george, September 17, 2012 - No reason given

i got a canadian flag for sale LOL

w00t.gifwai.gif

1 person likes this

Thanks for your concern, land that I love, but I always maintain a low profile and am fully aware. (Anyway, I'm boogieing back to Tokyo tonight.)

is there any evidence that thai Muslims are getting uppity?

1 person likes this

Best idea ! You will get away with a bad Ozzie accent no probs, very easy to do and gets easier the more you drink ;)

Where we can see that movie ? I still have a few pop corns.

You would need a lot of popcorn...enough to choke yourself. After watching 14 mins I was almost ready to take my own life, after two hours I would be leaping off the back of my seat onto my head.

1 person likes this

ID: 19   Posted · Hidden by Scott, September 17, 2012 - reply to deleted post

Actually he's not Israeli. That was his alias. He's a Coptic Christian. But you're right about the long line of arrests. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443524904577649891086383820.html

ID: 25   Posted · Hidden by Scott, September 17, 2012 - off-topic

'Muslims' Movie Producer Was Federal Informant --'I decide to cooperate with the government.' 14 Sep 2012 Before he was involved in the making of a noxious video that provided an excuse for anti-American riots in the Middle East, and before he was convicted of federal bank fraud, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was arrested on charges relating to the making of phencyclidine (PCP). In recent days, we've learned that Nakoula used 14 different aliases in a complex check kiting scheme. We've learned that Nakoula was sentenced to 21 months in federal custody for the affair. According to The Smoking Gun, Nakoula was released from the United States Penitentiary in Lompoc, California in September, 2010... The punishment was relatively gentle, even though it wasn't Nakoula's first encounter with the law. That's because Nakoula had decided to become a federal informant.

While I have no doubt some of the "protests", politically correct-I call them riots, were inspired by this stupid movie, something just doesn't pass the smell test with the death of the American Ambassado in Libya. Say what you want about obushma, those behind the Ambassodor's death will be hunted till the end of the earth, their death warrants have already been signed.