39 replies to this topic

#1 Chicog

Chicog

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 2012-10-31 16:03:59

Thrilling news for Thai FA Cup fans, I'm sure.

"Supershot!" "Supersave! Oorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Anyway, apparently: "Matches will be shown live on every platform: Channel 7 terrestrial TV, Media Boom satellite TV, and Bugaboo.tv internet TV and mobile phone."

Fill your boots, I don't know if this starts with this season's third round or next year's Qualifying.

Edited by Chicog, 2012-10-31 16:04:25.

#2 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 2012-10-31 18:53:29

Another football contract that True Visions have decided they don't need ? I suspect they won't renew the Premier League contract in the next few months either. If they don't cover the Premier League next season, they will be busy collecting receivers from cancelled subscribers. It's the only reason I have it, and I have several Thai friends who feel the same.

#3 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 2012-10-31 20:00:22

Channel 7 has secured the broadcast rights to the English FA Cup for six seasons starting this year, the station announced yesterday.
"We hold the exlusive right to show the English FA Cup in Thailand from this year to 2018," Channel 7 managing director Saran Virutamavongsa said.
Matches will be shown live on every platform _ Channel 7 terrestrial TV, Media Boom satellite TV and Bugaboo.tv internet TV and mobile phone.
About 15 big matches will be broadcast live on Channel 7 per season. Its broadcast partners include AP Honda and Unilever.
"It's free for everybody from the first round to the final," added Palakorn Somsuwan, Channel 7 assistant managing director.
Saran said the station gave importance to sports and had prepared about one billion baht to buy several sports programmes.

With 6 rounds, the Semi-Finals and the Final, that's about 2 live matches per round, whereas TrueVisions was showing 3 or 4 matches per night, and we will have to put up with adverts during the matches, no doubt.

Well, the first round starts on Friday. I wonder how many matches Channel 7 will be showing this weekend.

#4 sumrit

sumrit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 2012-10-31 20:01:51

Thrilling news for Thai FA Cup fans, I'm sure. Matches will be shown live on every platform: Channel 7 terrestrial TV, Media Boom satellite TV, and Bugaboo.tv internet TV and mobile phone."

I assume you meant to say coverage of the English FA Cup and not coverage of the Thai FA Cup.

Edited to say Delboy posted while I was still trying to type

Edited by sumrit, 2012-10-31 20:03:54.

#5 carmine

carmine

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 2012-11-01 15:07:24

Another football contract that True Visions have decided they don't need ? I suspect they won't renew the Premier League contract in the next few months either. If they don't cover the Premier League next season, they will be busy collecting receivers from cancelled subscribers. It's the only reason I have it, and I have several Thai friends who feel the same.

True visions must be aware how important the premier league is to their subscribers and would never drop it. Just my opinion ofcourse

#6 uptheos

uptheos

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 15,310 posts

Posted 2012-11-01 15:15:51

True visions must be aware how important the premier league is to their subscribers and would never drop it. Just my opinion ofcourse

Sept 2012

TrueVisions believes that its large viewer base and strong business experience will help it win the three-year rights to broadcast English Premier League (EPL) matches in Thailand starting next season, according to Suphachai Chearavanont, the chief executive of True Corp, parent of TrueVisions.

http://www.nationmul...r-30190521.html

#7 Chicog

Chicog

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 2012-11-01 19:42:05

They are talking shit, it's an auction plain and simple.

If someone outbids them, they are fxxxed.

#8 SantiSuk

SantiSuk

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 2012-11-01 19:56:11

They are talking shit, it's an auction plain and simple.

If someone outbids them, they are fxxxed.

I don't know of any other national broadcaster who has the revenue base capable of bidding big on the EPL rights, so I will be shocked if True do not keep it.

Lots of parties and gorgeous Thai girls waiting for Scuddamore's negotiating team I should think - better bring the eunuchsPosted Image

#9 MrRed

MrRed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 2012-11-01 19:59:24

It is not just an auction anymore...not after the fiasco we have had this year for the rights to the Euro's with grammy.

Also the Premier League will have certain conditions for a long contract not the same as a tournament short term contract which Grammy forced there hand.

True will not lose the rights until a suitable solid company that is set up correctly comes in to challenge,from what i have read and heard Grammy are way off doing that yet.

#10 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 2012-11-02 12:06:37

Well, Channel 7 seem to be keeping to their statement to cover the FA Cup from the first round. Their schedule includes a Tape Copy of the FA Cup 2012/13 at 3 am on Sunday morning.

#11 Chicog

Chicog

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 2012-11-02 16:08:36

It is not just an auction anymore...not after the fiasco we have had this year for the rights to the Euro's with grammy.

Also the Premier League will have certain conditions for a long contract not the same as a tournament short term contract which Grammy forced there hand.

True will not lose the rights until a suitable solid company that is set up correctly comes in to challenge,from what i have read and heard Grammy are way off doing that yet.

The FA Premier League have absolutely nothing to do with UEFA or the Euros.

They will sell their product to the highest bidder - let's face it, if you have the money to buy it then you probably have the money to rebroadcast it. You don't even need a studio if you don't want one.

#12 bangkok blue

bangkok blue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 2012-11-12 17:40:09

I read they will cover it from the 1st round proper. Replays this week.... Wonder if they'll show them. Fairly good news, but limits us to only once choice of the 3pm k.o's. I did notice last season that ESPN and STAR showed games, despite TRUE having the rights. Fingers crossed this is the case again.

#13 rijit

rijit

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 2012-11-12 18:02:28

From a commercial sense, I would imagine the only viable football tv rights to buy are the prem, and cant see true wanting to lose those,.big factor 4 me is they have the proven infrastructure to manage it, from what ive seen with the other ballsup the euro's ect ect, until the others prove they can get their shit 2 gether, from a purely self centered point of view best 4 the time being it stays with them.

#14 Chicog

Chicog

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 2012-11-12 18:27:50

The one advantage they have is that they can bid more because they've already got the boxes out there. Anyone wishing to compete has to factor in the cost of boxes and how they can realistically price it before they make a bid.

But it is an auction, and as you know some Thais have a lot more money than sense.

#15 bangkok blue

bangkok blue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 2012-11-12 23:10:12

It'll be chaos if GMM show any of the EPL next season!

#16 brewsterbudgen

brewsterbudgen

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 09:57:24

There is no way in the world True would want to give up their EPL rights. However, they could get outbid by Grammy.

I agree.

Edited by brewsterbudgen, 2012-11-13 09:57:37.

#17 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 11:06:48

It seems that Truevisions is in talks to share the coverage of Premier League matches according to this report a few days ago.

"TrueVisions, the country's leading cable TV provider, outlined two options for bidding for the three-year rights to broadcast the English Premier League football - a solo bid or partnering with GMM Grammy.
Suphachai Chearavanont, TrueVisions's chief executive, admitted his company's executives are in talks with GMM chairman Paiboon Damrongchaitham for a possible partnership sharing content. But a bid for the Premier League rights has not been discussed.
Mr Suphachai said TrueVisions is open to a partner if GMM offers attractive conditions and incentives."

This is a statement from Truevisions Vice President of programming earlier in the year.

TrueVisions also still holds the broadcasting rights of the English Premier League until the end of next season, said Attapol Na Bang Chang, TrueVisions vice president for programming.
The company has lost the broadcasting rights of Spain's La Liga and Germany's Bundesliga, amid reports that several groups are interested in buying the EPL broadcasting rights.
Attapol said he did not know when bidding for the EPL broadcasting rights will take place. But he believed that even if his company lost the EPL, this would not affect the number of its subscribers.
Citing Singapore as an example, he said after Starhub lost the EPL broadcasting rights, it has since enjoyed an increase in the number of subscribers and got more income because it has offered viewers other sports programmes.

Edited by delboy, 2012-11-13 11:11:47.

#18 brewsterbudgen

brewsterbudgen

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 13:38:34

It seems that Truevisions is in talks to share the coverage of Premier League matches according to this report a few days ago.

"TrueVisions, the country's leading cable TV provider, outlined two options for bidding for the three-year rights to broadcast the English Premier League football - a solo bid or partnering with GMM Grammy.
Suphachai Chearavanont, TrueVisions's chief executive, admitted his company's executives are in talks with GMM chairman Paiboon Damrongchaitham for a possible partnership sharing content. But a bid for the Premier League rights has not been discussed.
Mr Suphachai said TrueVisions is open to a partner if GMM offers attractive conditions and incentives."

This is a statement from Truevisions Vice President of programming earlier in the year.

TrueVisions also still holds the broadcasting rights of the English Premier League until the end of next season, said Attapol Na Bang Chang, TrueVisions vice president for programming.
The company has lost the broadcasting rights of Spain's La Liga and Germany's Bundesliga, amid reports that several groups are interested in buying the EPL broadcasting rights.
Attapol said he did not know when bidding for the EPL broadcasting rights will take place. But he believed that even if his company lost the EPL, this would not affect the number of its subscribers.
Citing Singapore as an example, he said after Starhub lost the EPL broadcasting rights, it has since enjoyed an increase in the number of subscribers and got more income because it has offered viewers other sports programmes.

If he really believes that he's a fool!

#19 ThaidDown

ThaidDown

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 13:50:13

I believe that technically he would be correct. 'Subscriber' numbers, imo, would not diminish much but revenue would tumble as people changed from the 'Gold' package to the free Life package or cheap Knowledge plan. ie they would still be subscribers.

#20 Chicog

Chicog

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 15:49:47

I don't want to say "I told you so", but:

I told you so.

#21 brewsterbudgen

brewsterbudgen

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 16:04:34

I don't want to say "I told you so", but:

I told you so.

He's bluffing. True would be lost financially if they lost the EPL rights. They will do everything they can to retain them.

#22 bangkok blue

bangkok blue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 2012-11-13 19:36:28

Anyone know if the FA Cup replays are on Thai TV tonight?

#23 MrRed

MrRed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 2012-11-14 09:00:39

I believe that technically he would be correct. 'Subscriber' numbers, imo, would not diminish much but revenue would tumble as people changed from the 'Gold' package to the free Life package or cheap Knowledge plan. ie they would still be subscribers.

No ...many only pay because of the football and will cancel if there is no EPL.....I would cancel quickly.

#24 brewsterbudgen

brewsterbudgen

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 2012-11-14 10:00:56

Anyone know if the FA Cup replays are on Thai TV tonight?

If they were I would love to have seen AFC Wimbledon winning their replay 6-1, and now facing the evil franchise club at Milton Keynes in the next round...

#25 bangkok blue

bangkok blue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 2012-11-14 19:26:02

So, it appears that internet TV; Bugaboo TV are showing Altringham Vs Burton tonight at 2:45am via this link. I think Bugaboo are a sister company of Channel 7. I hope the matches they show from the 3rd round onwards are advertised better. Took some finding this did!

http://www.bugaboo.tv/facup.html

Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: