View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

2 Month Stay In Thailand - Visa Requirements?

10 replies to this topic

#1 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 18:21:35

Hi. I'm British and not looking to retire. Currently living in Japan, quit my job and want to live cheaply in Thailand for 2 months. I'm not looking for work or anything like that. So I guess I'll be a tourist.

I'll be flying on Jan 20th (arrival in Thailand on 21st) and I'll be leaving on March 21st. Exactly 60 days. I will buy tickets in advance so immigration in Thailand will be able to see these details. Vis-a-vis a visa (nice) what should I do?

I know that I qualify for a 30day exemption as a British national. Can I go in on that and do a visa run? If I do (overland) will I only get a 15 day stamp on return? If so could I buy a tourist visa at the border?

Or should I try to get a single entry tourist visa in Japan? (90 days right?) I have checked the requirements and they seem to want both Japanese and Thai guarantors. Japanese one, no problem, Thai one god knows.... Plus I'm out of work and potentially going to be without a Japanese visa until April (and hence gaijin card, which is a further requirement of the Thai Embassy for non-Japanese travelling from Japan).

Or can I get a visa issued to me on arrival?

Or should I initially book a 30 day return on plane tickets and then change the date after arrival? And do a visa run.

It's all a bit confusing. Help appreciated.

Ta.

#2 lopburi3

lopburi3

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,563 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 18:25:45

Sound as if you will not be able to obtain visa (which you would likely require for a 60 day stay by airline) so getting onward flight within 30 days seems your best choice if you do not want to travel via another country and obtain tourist visa on an overnight stay there. You will only get 15 days on a border crossing by land so several times or obtain a tourist visa on the crossing (overnight) for use a return flight for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

#3 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 19:17:14

Sound as if you will not be able to obtain visa (which you would likely require for a 60 day stay by airline) so getting onward flight within 30 days seems your best choice if you do not want to travel via another country and obtain tourist visa on an overnight stay there. You will only get 15 days on a border crossing by land so several times or obtain a tourist visa on the crossing (overnight) for use a return flight for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in thinking if I turn up in Thailand with no visa and onward flight after the 30 days, they would definitely bar me entry?

#4 lopburi3

lopburi3

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • 51,563 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 19:21:50

No very unlikely you would have any issue - but airlines most often will not take the risk on long-haul flights as they are fined and have to pay your transport on next available flight if it did happen.

#5 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 20:50:12

No very unlikely you would have any issue - but airlines most often will not take the risk on long-haul flights as they are fined and have to pay your transport on next available flight if it did happen.

Yes the risks seem too high. How about a visa run to Myanmar the day after I arrive (by plane from Bangkok)? It's about 10000 yen plus charges to Yangon - can I gt a Thai visa there?

#6 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-28 21:26:07

Yes the risks seem too high. How about a visa run to Myanmar the day after I arrive (by plane from Bangkok)? It's about 10000 yen plus charges to Yangon - can I gt a Thai visa there?

Scrap that. I think I'll fly to Kuala Lumpur, get a visa there, take a bus up into Thailand (as per one of the Visa run reports on this site) and fly back as planned on the 21st or thereabouts. I've heard that as a UK national airlines and Malay authorities don't mind a one way ticket. Anyone know any different?

#7 Mario2008

Mario2008

Superb Member

• Global Moderators
  • 26,409 posts

Posted 2012-12-29 08:51:05

IATA gives the following warning:

- Nationals of United Kingdom not holding a return/onward
ticket could be either requested to purchase one or refused
entry.

#8 lopburi3

lopburi3

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • 51,563 posts

Posted 2012-12-29 08:55:11

Same restriction applies for one way travel without a visa so I would get a cheap Air Asia ticket to Thailand from KL and that would take care of getting to Malaysia and with the visa getting to Thailand will not be an issue. Although the wording would indicate airline could accept your having a credit card for later ticket purchase as OK.

Warning:

entry.

#9 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-30 14:26:05

Same restriction applies for one way travel without a visa so I would get a cheap Air Asia ticket to Thailand from KL and that would take care of getting to Malaysia and with the visa getting to Thailand will not be an issue. Although the wording would indicate airline could accept your having a credit card for later ticket purchase as OK.

Warning:

entry.

Hmm. Thanks guys for the warning. I'm a little hesitant to buy a ticketing advance just in case there are issues with the visa in Malaysia. However, I'll certainly have a credit card to hand. I'll call AirAsia to be sure.

Edited by herjazz, 2012-12-30 14:26:47.

#10 herjazz

herjazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 2012-12-31 13:58:34

Warning:

entry.

Hmm. Thanks guys for the warning. I'm a little hesitant to buy a ticketing advance just in case there are issues with the visa in Malaysia. However, I'll certainly have a credit card to hand. I'll call AirAsia to be sure.

One further question, once I get my visa does it matter how I enter the country: by land or air? I'm considering taking a bus from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai (if I'm allowed into Malaysia without proof of an onward flight).

#11 ubonjoe

ubonjoe

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 2012-12-31 14:02:44

You can enter by land or air.
I don't recall a requirement for a return or onward ticket being needed for Malaysia.

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: