• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 honoluabay

honoluabay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 18:36:24

Well I just got my power bill from new landlord and Holy Sh-t ! 2600.00 bht for 1 month. Use the s/c only when sleeping and no kitchen just room w/ bath. Nothing fancy.
Just want to know how badly I'm getting screwed.
Will be moving asap.
Thanks

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

#2 NamKangMan

NamKangMan

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 18:59:25

I thought the "price for power" in Thailand was 200 baht to everyone in Issan to vote for you on election day. smile.pngsmile.png

Seriously, that's a high bill.  Doesn't sound right to me for the premises you describe.

Did you write down the meter reading and how much is the landlord charging you per unit? 

Edited by NamKangMan, 2013-04-16 19:03:55.

#3 patongphil

patongphil

Leo Drinking Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 20:11:09

What is the s/c???

#4 LivinginKata

LivinginKata

Member from Kata

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 20:18:15

What is the s/c???

Maybe meant to say a/c ?

#5 LivinginKata

LivinginKata

Member from Kata

• Global Moderators
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 20:39:30

@the OP

Best you tell us how much you are being charged per Kw unit. Hard to say whether 2,600 baht charge is excessive, could be you are running the air con in the heat of the day ? 

#6 zulugutt

zulugutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 2013-04-16 21:46:19

We have 3 apartments we rent out, and charge 6 baht pr. kWh. Each apartment have 2 aircons, but untill now I don't think I have had to ask for more than about 1500 baht a month for electricity, to someone that run the aircon very often.

#7 wtk

wtk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 00:19:02

aren't aircons usually 1000W or more? hottest month of the year it can easily use 1 unit per hour (1000 watts for 1 hour or 1kWh)

one aircon 10 hours per day for 30 days at 4baht/unit(government rate) is 1200 baht already

#8 Jimi007

Jimi007

Still A Beach Bum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 00:37:44

I got my bill today. I used 523 KWH. I have two refrigerators, only one air conditioner in my bedroom, water pump, TVs, computers, hot water, ceiling fans, microwave, rice cookers, toaster, etc. My total was less than yours including VAT. If I just divide my total bill by my usage including VAT, I pay about 4.4 Baht per unit. I'd say you're paying a bit too much, but I don't know what your rental agreement is. I doubt you can do much, other than look for a better place. Good time of the year to move...

Edited by Jimi007, 2013-04-17 00:46:49.

#9 eezergood

eezergood

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 09:46:43

A guy in my condo block, ok was the 'penthouse', had a bill of THB 20000!!! I didnt believe also, UNTIL he showed me! The maid must have turned everything on & opened the doors!

#10 BOBBYTIN

BOBBYTIN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 09:52:13

POPULAR

@the OP

Best you tell us how much you are being charged per Kw unit. Hard to say whether 2,600 baht charge is excessive, could be you are running the air con in the heat of the day ? 

wait until nightfall,and turn off the mains electric,see if any houses near by lose power at same time,especially if your landlord is near by,also,turn of every appliance,everything,and see if the dial on the meter is still going round.it does happen

#11 honoluabay

honoluabay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 10:35:29

Was really looking for government rate price per unit, we are getting charged 8 bht per unit but landlord say rate is 8 bht for everyone here in phuket. Just want price rate here in Rawai.
Yes we are moving out, but still want to prove to them that They are Wrong......
Money Money what make Phuket worse every year.

#12 GiantFan

GiantFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 11:27:42

Last time I checked, I was paying around THB 3.6 / unit (i.e. kWh).  This is directly from the PEA.  I have heard renters being charged 5 or 6 baht, but never 8.  Rip off.

#13 starkey_rich

starkey_rich

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 11:35:05

Was really looking for government rate price per unit, we are getting charged 8 bht per unit but landlord say rate is 8 bht for everyone here in phuket. Just want price rate here in Rawai.
Yes we are moving out, but still want to prove to them that They are Wrong......
Money Money what make Phuket worse every year.

Typical greedy Phuket landlord.He's talking BS.Average rate is around 4

#14 stevenl

stevenl

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 11:55:55

My government bill just arrived: including VAT 3.91 Baht per kW

#15 LivinginKata

LivinginKata

Member from Kata

• Global Moderators
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 12:19:35

Does that include the extra indexed charge ? My extra charge has increased dramatically these past 2 months. Plus we pay business rates to PEA. I wish we only payed 3.91 baht.

#16 stevenl

stevenl

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 13:24:48

Does that include the extra indexed charge ? My extra charge has increased dramatically these past 2 months. Plus we pay business rates to PEA. I wish we only payed 3.91 baht.

That's total charge divided by kW. Don't use much at the shop though, a/c only in use in classroom, no electric heater, only thing 'fancy' is a waterpump. Excluding extra charge including VAT price is 3.35 Baht per kW.

#17 NamKangMan

NamKangMan

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 14:57:43

Last time I checked, I was paying around THB 3.6 / unit (i.e. kWh).  This is directly from the PEA.  I have heard renters being charged 5 or 6 baht, but never 8.  Rip off.

I'm paying 8 baht per unit as well. 

My rent has never changed and is quite reasonable, but the electricity is double the Government rate.  I would be interested to know if the property manager is pocketing the difference, or the owner. 

There are several apartments in my building and I don't believe any of them are "owned" by foreigners, so, doubling the electricity is a nice little earner off all the tenants, and the place is always near full.  Probably no tax implications either.  Cash, straight into the pocket.  

#18 LivinginKata

LivinginKata

Member from Kata

• Global Moderators
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 15:16:59

@NKM

I would agree that 8 baht is high but maybe there are other costs that you are not aware off, and a commercial property will be paying nearer 5 baht/Kw. I happen to be a property manager and we are just happy to balance the costs against charges. We charged  5 baht until the end of last year but with this year's 0.52 baht surcharge we had to increase to 5.5 baht as we were not covering the actual PEA charge each month. It annoys me when folks quote these 3.9 baht prices. Yes that might be true with a lower use private home with own gov meter, but it is not the case with a higher use residential property with single gov meter. 

And it is only going to get higher. Recent news articles in the Thai press are saying that electric prices are expected to rise dramatically later this year.

#19 NamKangMan

NamKangMan

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 15:36:08

@NKM

I would agree that 8 baht is high but maybe there are other costs that you are not aware off, and a commercial property will be paying nearer 5 baht/Kw. I happen to be a property manager and we are just happy to balance the costs against charges. We charged  5 baht until the end of last year but with this year's 0.52 baht surcharge we had to increase to 5.5 baht as we were not covering the actual PEA charge each month. It annoys me when folks quote these 3.9 baht prices. Yes that might be true with a lower use private home with own gov meter, but it is not the case with a higher use residential property with single gov meter. 

And it is only going to get higher. Recent news articles in the Thai press are saying that electric prices are expected to rise dramatically later this year.

I don't have a problem with it, it's still very afforable.  Of course, some of the extra baht per unit I'm paying would cover pumps, common area lighting and probably the management office electric as well. 

Of course, as you suggest, when I read 4 baht a unit is the actual price, I think paying double is taking the p*ss. 

I understand what you say, but wouldn't a large property pay less per unit than a residential home, due to a bulk discount and/or commercial premises tarrif? 

#20 stevenl

stevenl

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 15:39:10

@NKM

I understand what you say, but wouldn't a large property pay less per unit than a residential home, due to a bulk discount and/or commercial premises tarrif? 

No, same as with water here: the more you use, the more you pay per unit.

#21 LivinginKata

LivinginKata

Member from Kata

• Global Moderators
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 15:43:20

Steven is exactly correct - the more electric and water being used, the higher the unit charge. That the reason why condos and larger residential property must charge a higher rate.

And as NKM says there may be various overheads that might be built into that higher price.     

#22 JetsetBkk

JetsetBkk

Castaway Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 16:24:41

I just realised what a huge jump in the electricty rates occurred around August last year.

- thanks to Yorkie who posted the official Provincial Electricity Authority rates here.

The rates used to be, baht per unit,

First  150 kW.. 1.8047
Next  250 kW.. 2.7781
Above that...... 2.9780

It was like that for many years with just the FT being "adjusted" to get more money from consumers.

Then the rates became:

First  150 kW.. 2.7628  (up 53%)
Next  250 kW.. 3.7362  (up 34%)
Above that...... 3.9361  (up 32%)

So, a bill for 677 units at the old rates was: 2,370.88 baht

With the new rates: 2,867.70 baht  - up 21%.

The new bill takes into account the slightly reduced standing charge and lower FT.

#23 Phronesis

Phronesis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 16:33:44

I have house in the burbs of phuket and I pay circa 4thb per kilowatt and pay the bill myself at 7/11.

I have an apartment in phuket town for the gik and pay 8thb per kilowatt to the landlord who takes a 50% skim.

All the other tenants in the apartment block are hi so thais...and the landlord also stings them for 8thb per unit.

#24 NamKangMan

NamKangMan

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 16:40:33

Steven is exactly correct - the more electric and water being used, the higher the unit charge. That the reason why condos and larger residential property must charge a higher rate.

And as NKM says there may be various overheads that might be built into that higher price.     

@NKM

Just to clarify.

A private residential home with only two people in it, say husband and wife, and they do not use much electricity, they will pay around 4 baht a unit. 

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge :) leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit. 

Is this correct?  Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

#25 stevenl

stevenl

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 2013-04-17 16:44:15

>>> 

@NKM

Just to clarify.

A private residential home with only two people in it, say husband and wife, and they do not use much electricity, they will pay around 4 baht a unit. 

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge smile.png leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit. 

Is this correct?  Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

Yes, that is the same in many more countries these days, e.g. also France, UK, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Italy, California and China have so called progressive electricity prices.

Official reason is to reduce use of electricity, real reason is to make more money.

Edited by stevenl, 2013-04-17 16:54:41.

Sponsored by....

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: