View New Content Help  
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Singkhorn - New Myanmar Border Crossing for Thai Nationals Only Opens May 8, 2013

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 george

george

Puyai Baan

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,293 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 21:34:10

GOOD NEWS FOR BORDER RUNNERS

New Myanmar crossing opens Wed

55916889.jpg
The Singkhorn temporary pass in Prachuap Khiri

Khan's Muang district will be opened as a new

permanent checkpoint between Thailand and

Myanmar on Wednesday, May 8, 2013. 

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN:  -- The Singkhorn temporary checkpoint on the border with Myanmar has been upgraded and will be opened as a new permanent pass on Wednesday.

Provincial governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul said the opening had been confirmed by both countries. It would be marked at a ceremony on Wednesday at Singkorn pass.

Singkhorn, in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Muang district, is opposite Mortong town in Myanmar. It is one of three checkpoints to be upgraded as permanent crossings to boost trade between the two countries.

The checkpoint connects Thailand with Mergui, one of the major towns in Myanmar.

The other two passes to be upgraded are Three Pagodas Pass in Kanchanaburi and Myanmar's Phayatongsu town, and Ban Nam Pu Ron in Kanchanaburi and Myanmar's Tiki town.

The plan was approved at talks between between Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Myanmar President Thein Sein on April 25 on the sidelines of the Asean Summit in Brunei.

-- Phuket News 2013-05-06

#2 mrtoad

mrtoad

Clawed Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:05:10

So they are finally going to open the borders in Kanchanburi.

#3 CP3

CP3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:19:24

At both sides, doesn't seem to have any building at all? 

#4 Haddo

Haddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:24:37

Does anyone have the coordinates of where this is, as I can't find it on Google maps, or on my Garmin GPS?

thanks

#5 asiamint

asiamint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:32:48

wow that is good news, im amazed after 15 odd years of saying it will open up

on 2nd thoughts will  foreigners be allowed to cross without a Myanmar visa, if so this will be useless for anyone in Hua Hin, as they will have to go to Bangkok to get a visa,

There is no such thing as a visa on arrival for Burma, only a play on the words.

At the Ranong crossing further south they allow you to cross into burma, they stamp you straight out or give you max 2 or 3 days but you cant leave the
island unless you have a burma visa, you have to stay on the island if you have no visa

So my question would be can you stamp in and out at Singkhorn, like you can at the ranong crossing? Or will you need a visa?

If you do need a visa hopefully Myanmar will change their ways soon

#6 wump

wump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:34:22

Does anyone have the coordinates of where this is, as I can't find it on Google maps, or on my Garmin GPS?

thanks

It's located on the narrowest stretch of Thailand on the east coast near the town of Prachuap: http://goo.gl/maps/qi1cm

It's a very good road that has been newly paved 2 years ago or so.

Edited by MaikB84, 2013-05-06 22:38:01.

#7 george

george

Puyai Baan

• Root Admin
  • 35,293 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:48:10

So my question would be can you stamp in and out at Singkhorn, like you can at the ranong crossing? Or will you need a visa?

Singkhon is a full international border point from Wednesday. We have got that confirmed by Prachuap Khirikhan Immigration.

#8 Evolare

Evolare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:57:01

on 2nd thoughts will  foreigners be allowed to cross without a Myanmar visa, if so this will be useless for anyone in Hua Hin, as they will have to go to Bangkok to get a visa,

There is no such thing as a visa on arrival for Burma, only a play on the words.

At the Ranong crossing further south they allow you to cross into burma, they stamp you straight out or give you max 2 or 3 days but you cant leave the
island unless you have a burma visa, you have to stay on the island if you have no visa

As far as i have been told it will be the same as other burmese border crossings with permanent status ie. ranong and mae sai. But I know many countries are in negotiations for it...but as of yet visa on arrival for most countries that have a contract with myanmar is only granted for 28day business visa and transit visa and i think that only applies to arrival in airports at the moment. Currently worse than thailand and i think they will remain being strict on tourists but will be more generous terms to Business visa holders very soon

#9 asiamint

asiamint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 22:59:48

thanks George for the update

ii's a little confusing though as going to Yangoon airport you need a visa to enter Burma

Mai Sai and Ranong you can get stamped in and out and i hope it's the same in Singkhorn.

it's really going to boost land prices all around hua hin, pranburi. In the Future the islands along the coast of Myanmar are going to be world famous, they are simply stunning and they are within easy driving distance from pranburi and hua hin now.

#10 asiamint

asiamint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:01:34

thanks Evolare

#11 pacovl46

pacovl46

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:11:43

Will there be a Thai consulate there? That would be perfect! 

#12 SOTIRIOS

SOTIRIOS

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:14:47

....how many kms from Bangkok....are any of these borders closer alternatives for visa runs...???

#13 khaowong1

khaowong1

Buddhist Monk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:24:12

Here's a question that I've always wondered about.  If your in Thailand on a 1 year non-O visa, you go into Burma for a day or two, what happens to your non-O visa?  I am probably guessing, you should get a re-entry visa before hand, right?  coffee1.gif

#14 aidenai

aidenai

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:29:05

....how many kms from Bangkok....are any of these borders closer alternatives for visa runs...???

The GPS coordinates are N11.789391 E99.642906 and it's about 310 kilometres from Bangkok.

#15 lookingeast

lookingeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:47:39

Here's a question that I've always wondered about.  If your in Thailand on a 1 year non-O visa, you go into Burma for a day or two, what happens to your non-O visa?  I am probably guessing, you should get a re-entry visa before hand, right?  coffee1.gif

Well, i'd hope one of the experts will respond - but until then, i'd have said that it all depends on whether your 'O' is a single or multiple-entry ? If it's a multi, you can go in and out of LOS as many times as you like until it expires, getting 90 days each time you re-enter LOS. Just waiting for the axe to fall on my neck...

#16 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,933 posts

Posted 2013-05-06 23:53:49

thanks

A photo on Panoramio gives 11° 47' 8.12" N  99° 39' 4.44" E as the coordinates for the spot from which the picture of the Thai immigration checkpoint was taken. This means that the checkpoint is about 1 km from the border.

#17 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,933 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 00:48:05

I have deleted an off-topic post about "mai sai"

#18 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,933 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 00:53:13

If with "1 year non-O visa" you mean a non-immigrant visa valid for multiple entries into Thailand within one year from its issue date you do not need a re-entry permit as long as the visa is still valid.

#19 SunsetT

SunsetT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 01:44:39

I dont know what you mean as I had a very enjoyable border run on my own across the sea from Ranong to Burma. I was given a 14 day entry stamp for 'Myammar'. The friendly immigration staff even expressed disappointment that I was leaving the same day that I arrived when I could have stayed longer. This was in 2007 but I am not aware that they have changed entry requirements since then.

#20 xavierr

xavierr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 06:20:06

I found that many places in the net use the RGTS spelling 'Singkhon' or 'Sing Khon'. Is there a reason why Thaivisa uses an obsolete transcription?

#21 keestha

keestha

Candidate Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 08:31:39

I expect to pass by there next month, and I hope it will be possible to hop across the border for a few hours without officially exiting Thailand. If yes, I will certainly make my way there for some sightseeing, shopping and eating.

#22 Mario2008

Mario2008

Superb Member

• Global Moderators
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 08:33:32

I found that many places in the net use the RGTS spelling 'Singkhon' or 'Sing Khon'. Is there a reason why Thaivisa uses an obsolete transcription?

Thaivisa just quotes an article which uses that spelling.

#23 dighambara

dighambara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 08:45:06

In Thailand, no transcription is obsolete.  Some are just better than others.

#24 MrVain

MrVain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 09:03:57

Oh boy, 1 more exciting market...

#25 TallGuyJohninBKK

TallGuyJohninBKK

Thaitanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 2013-05-07 09:33:21

If this has been answered clearly above, I'm not catching it...

For a westerner farang in Thailand who'd want to enter Myanmar via Singkhorn, is a Myanmar visa required in advance?

Or will they have some kind of visa on arrival or automatic limited permission to stay stamp?

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: