• Announcements

• Tech Doctor

Thai Visa Upgrade Continuation   08/01/2016

Changes applied, forum may still be sluggish at slow times whilst the indexing process continue. More updates to follow   Thank you for your understanding. Tech Team + TD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade

176 posts in this topic

Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade
By Craig Skehan

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities are struggling to stop dogs from being stolen and smuggled to northern Vietnam, where one million dogs are eaten each year.

Stray dogs and pets are being illegally snatched, bought, or even bartered for household items, then smuggled to Vietnam, where they are sold, butchered and eaten.

With bribery at border checkpoints, apathy in the transit country of Laos, and northern Vietnam’s appetite for one million dogs a year, Thai authorities are struggling to stop an estimated 200,000 dogs every year being exported alive in this international racket.

Smugglers pay helpers, often poor farmers, to comb rural areas and towns, buying dogs, grabbing strays or stealing pets.

Dogs are collected throughout the northeast of Thailand, then taken to holding pens in the provinces of Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan.

In transit, conditions for the animals are horrendous. The dogs are loaded by the hundreds onto open-sided trucks, starving and dehydrated, and stacked on top of each other, suffering from bite wounds and broken bones — some even dying en route.

Full story: http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/dog-meat-mafia-inside-thailands-smuggling-trade/616/

-- THE GLOBAL MAIL 2013-05-20

A dog truck came by here two days ago. They were piled on top of each other. I'm sure some were already dead. The lady across the street sold her two year old male dog for B200. They threw him in the back of the truck and went on their way.

1 person likes this

out of all the posts to date the one thing missing---POLICE. if known pickps are running around local areas, everyone sees them,

Big effort to stop this is NOT just at the border posts it IS in local areas. Police take the dogs to a pound--confiscate the pick-up and heavily fine the( Bar-stewards.). stopping the collection stops the trade. UNLESS some big wig again is in the monkey---oh sorry DOG business.

2 people like this

This is so cruel and I dont even want to think about the poor conditions and cruelty that these dogs are put under. Its another example of the bad attitude of the Vietnamese people

2 people like this

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

If it's that bad get a condo??? no dogs--and the book in your name---killing 2 birds with 1 stone----Yes your right it's NOT my business.

1 person likes this

I love dogs - but I couldn't eat a full one. Send the Mafia round here - I'd pay them to take most of the local dogs away.

2 people like this