cdnvic

Using Thai With Your Computer

58 posts in this topic

I am looking for a good spell checker for computer with Windows 7 operating system. It would be perfect if the package is also available for android phone, in order to be able to see the mistakes you make while you are browsing or chatting (line, whatsapp, normal messages, etc). Must be offline.

Have you seen anything like that?

Thai spell-checking used to come with Word 2002, and would then be available for some other Microsoft applications. I have no reason to believe it has stopped becoming available with more recent versions of Microsoft Office.

LibreOffice now has a passable Thai spell-checker on Linux, and I see no reason for it not to work on Windows. The Thai spell-checker was broken before LibreOffice and OpenOffice forked, and I don't know if OpenOffice Thai spell-checking has since been fixed.

Downloaded LibreOffice. The spell checker is working.

I wish to buy a small sea-going shipping container near Khon Kaen. Where are they sold???

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Would be nice to have a program that highlights where the keys are when you type. I'm talking Mario Teaches Typing style. I just started looking, and I found this one:

http://typeinthai.com/

Teaches you Thai phrases while you use it. Not great for a beginner in to Thai language, but good for intermediate speakers.

Does anyone know of a program like:

http://www.keybr.com/

I already have a Thai keyboard, and I want to type in Thai, but faster, without having to hunt and peck.

This is the winner that I found:

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/thai

but it still sucks!

It doesn't show you where your fingers need to go.......which is kind of the point of a keyboard trainer program. If just want to copy Thai paragraphs I could do that by looking at any Thai website.......

What I found was helpful was to just chat a lot. Could be in FB or something like that, reading peoples comments, trying to reply to them and what not. Even if its super basic stuff this will help establish a good "homerow" kinda foundation to build on. I've learned to type this way (and through Whats APP and LINE on my phone). Either way takes some time to build speed right?

On 05/04/2010 at 7:46 PM, Richard W said:

On the problem of Large Thai Script not working when Firefox is upgraded:

I've just had that problem with Firefox 3.6.3. The version (of 'Version 0.1') of the 'Large Thai Script' add-on I found (at Large Thai Script :: Firefox Add-ons for Firefox) had maxversion specified as 3.5.*. I changed that to 3.6.*, but it did not work. What did work was changing it to plain 3.7. (I didn't try upping it to 3.6.3, as on past form Firefox 3.6.3 will soon be replaced by Firefox 3.6.4)

I've merrily been using Large Thai Script for years, but was dismayed to find that it is not compatible with Firefox version 49 (well the 64bit version, anyway).

Well, it seems like there is some kind of "son of Large Thai Script" in the form of "LargeThai"  - another Firefox extension. It  isn't new (last updated 2011), but it does work with Firefox 49 and, although apparently made by another developer, they say it is an extension of the earlier one and is legitimate.  It does seem to work fine. 

This is just for info - in case anyone is struggling with the "death" of Large Thai Script.