cdnvic

Online Dictionaries & Thai Language Resources

156 posts in this topic

This really depends at what level you are at present. Rossetta Stone I certainly do not consider a "beginner level". I bought it a few years ago while still living in the US. I did not use it - because I found it too difficult at first.

I used it approx 4 months ago - and I feel it was more useful in increasing my level of Thai - reading Thaiscript, comprehension, vocabulary etc. - than 30 Private lessons I took approx 6 months ago - at about three times the price.

If you are interested ...

+1 to that. I bought the Rosetta Stone program years ago when I was a beginner and thought it was terrible and almost useless, so I shelved it. I picked it up again out of curiosity a few months ago, and was surprised at what I found. If you already speak at an intermediate level and can read and write, the Rosetta Stone is pretty awesome. It is definitely not for beginners, but if you have been studying for long enough to understand basic grammar and you can read and write then you will probably get a lot out of it.

Hi all

I have just started a new blog and twitter feed called Tweet Yourself Thai.

Please drop by and have a look.

Follow the Twitter feed at @AjarnPasa and visit the blog at www.tweetyourselfthai.wordpress.com

Both are designed for the intermediate learner and include reading practice and vocab based around situations and topics. Short timely lessons for the Thai learner on the fly.

Enjoy

AjarnPasa

ID: 78   Posted (edited)

If you can read Thai and want practice listening as you read, here's a nice Thai music site with the lyrics embedded in the video (in Thai, not in 'karaoke' phonetics). LikeThai music videos

Here's a nice example of "pop as social commentary" that manages to get through the whole song without once using the expression รักเธอ! Enjoy. Sw :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LssjPQWY9wI

Edited by SoftWater

Here's a nice example of "pop as social commentary" that manages to get through the whole song without once using the expression รักเธอ! Enjoy. Sw :)

Too Funny, that is แสน นากา (San Naka)! He's a regular player in the Bangkok club circuit. He's also the older brother of เสก โลโซ (Sek Loso)!

I too find it tiring that the term รักเธอ is so over used in thai songs, but then hey, how else are they gonna say "luv u"?

Great link for songs though, thanx. ..

ID: 80   Posted (edited)

Can anyone update on a good latest software dictionary (thai-end-thai) for a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone?

I have used PPClinks E-dictionary reader for WM in past and found it good. It doesn't seem to work on later versions of WM though. My HTC phone came with Lexitron Pack but the software seems very simple, albeit works. Any others experienced?

Edited by Digitalbanana

Studying a language has never been easy especially for a person like me who just want to have fun learning a language. I bought books, even engaged myself in Teach Me tutorials in the internet but none of them excites me, except for L-lingo (http://www.l-lingo.com/). It’s very affordable (other tutorials and books cost too much, and leaves you hanging) learning a language for us using L-lingo is quick, fun and easy because learning doesn’t have to be that hard.

My favourite is Its4thai.com. Very good interface with easy to use tutorials and lessons. I have never had face to face lessons only tried to teach myself. Would anyone recommend face to face tutoring rather than solely online and teaching yourself or is there enough resources on the web to teach yourself?

This is addressed mainly to Intermediate students looking for further reading materials:

After finishing up the Thomas Gething intermediate reader series (56 lessons with pdf and mp3 files, available free online), I settled on นิทานพื้นบ้านอีสาน, (isbn 978-974521684-6) (a series of folk tales with at least one other volume for southern folk tales). I have a neighbor record individual stories onto a small mp3 player, then I use audacity (a free sound system) to listen to the files and extract parts to include in my anki flashcards.

Granted, the folk tales will use 'folk-tale' kinds of vocabulary (Once upon a time, etc), but as I do more and more stories, I find common vocabulary threads throughout the stories. That was one of the nice features of the Gething series.....repeated vocabulary.

The book is available for 60 baht at most bookstores that supply schools/students.

Can anyone update on a good latest software dictionary (thai-end-thai) for a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone?

I have used PPClinks E-dictionary reader for WM in past and found it good. It doesn't seem to work on later versions of WM though. My HTC phone came with Lexitron Pack but the software seems very simple, albeit works. Any others experienced?

This word in hand dictionary by Paiboon Publishing might do the trick. It works on Windows, Iphone and Palm OS. It's a superb 'speaking' dictionary that allows you to search by English, Thai script and phonetic sound for a word. It incorporates all the major phonetic systems being used to teach Thai (you can set it on the one you prefer) and has an aray of user friendly features. I think it's a a game changer. Thoroughly impressed. Click on link for more details and free trial.

http://word-in-the-hand.com

Hi - I've looked at many of the sites mentioned here but can't find one that will translate a Thai sentance into English? am I missing something? I'm not looking for a Dictionary but a rough translation.

Hi - I've looked at many of the sites mentioned here but can't find one that will translate a Thai sentance into English? am I missing something? I'm not looking for a Dictionary but a rough translation.

Thai2english.com used to do that; I think it still does, but I stopped using it a couple of years? ago after they changed the interface to something unusable.

If you just want a machine translator - with all the dubious veracity that that implies - try frengly.com

Thai2english.com used to do that; I think it still does, but I stopped using it a couple of years? ago after they changed the interface to something unusable.

If you just want a machine translator - with all the dubious veracity that that implies - try frengly.com

thanks - google is similar

"a rough translation"

Google translate does that. I cut/paste Thai Rath newspaper articles into google translate.......the rough translation gives me a good idea of what the article is about. Another nice feature is to move your cursor over a 'translated' portion of the text (on the right side of your google translate page). Thai will appear above your translated sentence.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's far better than anything else out there (IMO).

You can also type Thai/English into the left side of the screen and the right side will show the translation as you type. Again, not perfect, but it's a nice feature. It helps to know how to type Thai!

Tap sap: Thai word or phrase that's been adapted from another language, usually from English.

English language doesn't have a word equivalent for the Thai word 'tap sap'. Maybe English should adapt the word tap sap. It's a bit less of a mouthful than saying 'a word used in English adapted from a word taken from another language.'

Anyhow, the most comprehensive list of Thai tap sap words & phrases is a book called '700 Thai Words Taken From English' It's available in some stores as a paperback, but the easier way to get it is as an ebook. Also has several other chapters which facilitate learning Thai quickly and easily.

The book's URL:

ID: 92   Posted (edited)

Hi I'd like to plug my own Thai Language courses, if I may...

I am developing a minimalist approach to learning Thai that will help you to achieve fluency with relatively little effort - 16 hours to learn to read, 40 hours over 3-4 months to become basically proficient and 100 hours over a year to become fluent.*

clip_image001_thumb_51d9d493e68c7e3d578500c4fcd7da9e.jpg

Controversially, the strategy for learning languages that I've developed and am refining is:

1. Read and master texts of increasing complexity; be sure to choose texts that use a colloquial writing style – this is very important.
  2. Internalize the vocabulary, memorize by rote if necessary or, preferably, use mnemonics and association stories. A great learning tool for this is Anki.
    The theory behind these two steps is that you develop a context-based vocabulary, not an impractical 'dictionary head'
  3. Listen to the text being read aloud by a native speaker, over and over again until i) you understand it nearly 100% and ii) you know most of it by heart – the latter point is an important part of my strategy to learn 'without training wheels'. The more you can do without notes or dictionaries, the more you can communicate and think on your feet.
  4. Read Aloud in a loud, distinct and exaggerated manner, getting faster and faster with each reading. This is essential muscle training. All movements (even the complex movements of a pianist or ping pong player) are directly controlled by the brain. When you practice the physical movements of speaking, it is like mastering various intricate dance steps or scales & riffs in music. When you then wish to express an intention, this gets translated subconsciously into a series of well-rehearsed muscle movements. In this sense, speaking is like playing jazz or any improvisational music.

Understanding what people say is a paradoxical listening skill: you only hear what you already know; otherwise it's just a musical noise. For learning Thai in the most efficient way, I strongly recommend reading. That's what my program is all about. When you fully understand a text (at the correct level) then you will find that you start to hear what people are saying, which in turn means that you will understand them better.

Speaking is, in my opinion, a non-linguistic skill that just requires practice, in the same way as a physical skill like playing piano or dancing or karate. There are efficient ways to practice also, but basically if you practice saying typical phrases over and over again – a little every day – in a loud and exaggerated way until it comes "trippingly off the tongue" then you will find that you become surprisingly fluent in no time!!!

My 'rapid fluency course' is based on a Thai novel called Sydney Remember, and applies these principles. It will consist of 50 weekly lessons, at a dirt-cheap price of 250 baht per lesson.

How to learn Rapid Thai. You should start by going through the Read Thai in a Weekend course; then work quickly through Everyday Thai for Beginners before signing up for my fluency course. And if you want to be better at typing (which is reading after all) then I suggest you get the HudPim Typing Tutor. It's designed for Thais, so no English in sight! :o

As for writing in Thai (which is what Thai language schools will get you to do and what Thai children are expected to do from day one)… don't bother! It's totally unnecessary, as is the requirement to know the names and the alphabetical order of the letters.

Find out more by visiting www.learnthaionline.com.

thai_voodoo_doll_1.jpg

* These are "lesson" hours. I recommend spending an additional 15-30 minutes a day on focused practice - e.g. memorizing vocabulary using the Anki system, listening to the weekly chapter until you can hear and understand it completely, and exaggerated speaking practice of set phrases. Most of this can be done while traveling or commuting using an MP3 player, smartphone or iPad/Android device. There's no real effort required, just make it part of your daily routine...

I define "fluency" to mean being able to converse at normal speed without thinking about it. It does not mean being academically correct, nor being competent in dealing with advanced subjects. That comes later (and reasonably effortlessly), the more you mix with educated Thais and are exposed to news, movies and special interests.

Edited by RapidLL

I'm looking for a decent Thai-English dictionary, Hardcopy, in book form. I hear the Chulalongkorn University Press are good. Can someone recommend a website to purchase from? Thanks

Just started the Its4thai lessons. Really enjoying them!! It seems to be working quite well for me. Thank you to whoever mentioned it!!!

Anyhow, the most comprehensive list of Thai tap sap words & phrases is a book called '700 Thai Words Taken From English' It's available in some stores as a paperback, but the easier way to get it is as an ebook.

The Thai Royal Institute also have a dictionary of loan words. It can be downloaded as multiple PDFs free from here:

ศัพท์ต่างประเทศที่ใช้คำไทยแทนได้

http://www.royin.go....&SystemMenuID=1

FYI, English & Thai only (with usage examples). No phonetic spellings.

ID: 99   Posted (edited)

A new online course has just been launched. Learn Speak Thai Online offers interactive beginner and intermediate online courses in Thai and Isaan Thai.

The online lessons have clickable audio text and slideshows and there are 100's of audio flash card and matching words games to help your learning along. At the moment they're offering access to about 100 free lessons and games for FREE , no sign up or purchase necessary. Worth checking out!

www.LearnSpeakThaiOnline.com

Edited by charlie10