View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

Wife has UK ILR approved then vanishes and tells me not to look for her?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#26 7by7

7by7

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 21:44:44

POPULAR

Contacting immigration may lead to her ILR being revoked and her being removed; if it can be proved she obtained ILR by deception.

Transam, can you provide more details of how your friend achieved it?

He came clean, told of his lost cash that went East. Turned out she had another ''rich'' guy lined up and she was refused entry back into UK. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that; so she was out of the UK at the time?

Did she have ILR?

No idea about the paperwork, not my business, but she is now stuffed back in LOS. thumbsup.gif

Thanks again; but whether or not she had ILR is important.

If the marriage breaks down before the foreign spouse has ILR then the basis of their permission to remain in the UK is gone; so strictly speaking they should leave. They certainly would not get ILR.

Unless the marriage broke down due to their being the victim of domestic violence; but they would need proof of this such as medical and police reports etc.

But once the foreign spouse does have ILR then they can remain in the UK indefinitely, even if the marriage breaks down.

ILR will lapse if the holder spends a continuous period of 2 years or more outside the UK and can be cancelled if the holder lives outside the UK and is using it just for visits.

However, if the holder remains a UK resident then it can only be cancelled and the holder removed from the UK if they are convicted of a criminal offense which carries a custodial sentence or if it can be proved that they obtained it by deception.

So if the OP can prove that his ex used him to obtain first a settlement visa and then ILR and never had any intention of remaining with him once she had ILR then there may be a case that she obtained her ILR by deception.

That's my understanding, anyway.

To be honest, were I in his position I wouldn't bother; I'd just want to get the divorce over with and then get on with my life.

#27 RAZZELL

RAZZELL

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 21:49:44

It's called the "long con".

RAZZ

#28 7by7

7by7

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 21:55:57

She'll be able to claim for free housing, community charge plus other benefits including tax credits etc and no doubt say she left an abusive husband.

7by7 can you please explain what is incorrect about this?

If you read the OP you will see that she is working and does not have any children. Therefore she will not be entitled to any of these benefits.

Any claim she left due to domestic abuse or violence, as I say above, would need to be backed up by evidence such as medical and police reports.

I see you have now backed down from your original statement

I'm sorry about your misfortune but she qualify for much from you in the divorce.

and are now saying

I doubt she'll get anything from you in a divorce if you have a decent lawyer.

which is closer to the reality than your original remark.

#29 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:03:41

Anyone with ILR can claim benefits.

Unlike people with Limited Leave to Remain (LTR) in the UK, ILR holders do have access to public funds. The wording "No recourse to public funds" is not written in ILR holders' visas. As a result, they are able to claim job seekers allowances and other benefits which are usually only available to British, EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

source http://en.wikipedia....leave_to_remain

She may be working but in many cases that is just to qualify for benefits such as working tax credits. Indeed a large proportion of Big Issue vendors in the UK are from the former Eastern Bloc and use their self employed status to claim all the peripherals.

Unless she is earning over £18k she will qualify for the benefits I mentioned earlier.

I suspect she has been planning this for some time.

Edited by Jay Sata, 2013-09-10 22:05:20.

#30 lormakmak

lormakmak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:13:34

Contacting immigration may lead to her ILR being revoked and her being removed; if it can be proved she obtained ILR by deception.

Transam, can you provide more details of how your friend achieved it?

Lormakmak, if you read the YouGov link provided earlier you will see that as she has contributed zero financially to the marriage or marital home and as you have no children, then she will almost certainly get zero.

But speak to a solicitor.

He came clean, told of his lost cash that went East. Turned out she had another ''rich'' guy lined up and she was refused entry back into UK. thumbsup.gif

He was lucky, I found UKBA, or whatever they're calling themselves this week, to be lazy and useless, How Ms May is still in a job beggars belief. 

Short version.....Married in BKK December 2005, came to UK May 2006.  Got a text from her middle of 2010 that she was leaving me, no reason given, got home and she was gone, flatly refused to tell me anything except that she wasn't happy.  Met up with her in BKK 2011 to get divorced.  A few weeks later I got a letter from the guy she left me for, seems she told him she had to go visit her sick Dad ( he was quite healthy a few weeks previously) and didn't know when she would be back, the reality was she went to Switzerland to marry a rich German.  The English guy said that she told him she only stayed with me until she got the passport, 2 weeks later she went.  I contacted UKBA 3 times and never got an answer, did it all through my MP.  Dates, times, English guys statement, etc etc and only ever got excuses from UKBA, I was only asking them to actually do their job, just not interested.

Good luck with your case mate.

Thanks for the wishes....it seems your situation was and is slightly different to mine where by you were married for 5 years and she had got her UK passport(in order to travel to Switzerland?), she hasn't got a passport yet as not been in UK for 3 years, that was the next step by the way...like a tosser I had even started the paperwork for her, thanks for taking the time to post thumbsup.gif

#31 7by7

7by7

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:15:54

Mr. Sata,

Thank you for pointing out the rules, I know them already; but find the Home Office to be a more reliable source on the UK immigration rules than Wikipedia!

The rest of your post implies an intimate knowledge of the woman and her intentions which even the OP has no knowledge of.

Maybe you are basing this on your own experience.

Like your oft displayed ignorance of the immigration rules, your knowledge of benefit entitlements is also extremely limited.

For example, earning less than £18,600 p.a. (not £18,000) may mean she qualifies for tax credits and council tax benefit, but certainly does not by itself qualify one for social housing; let alone the free housing you reckon she'll get!

Enough of this rubbish, can we get back to the topic.

If you want to discuss benefits, there's a topic in news on that subject; as you well know.

Edited by 7by7, 2013-09-10 22:21:08.

#32 lormakmak

lormakmak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:17:11

POPULAR

For the record I can't be arsed to even try and get her deported or bother with her....karma will deal with her in it's own time and I suspect she is probably going to go on the game!

can you divorce someone easy that has gone on the missing?

as 7by7 said and I agree I just want to divorce and crack on with my life, I have a lot going on and don't want to jeopardize another relationship cos I married a liar whose decided to go to ground?

#33 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:21:09

Two years is all that is required for desertion. Make sure you keep any correspondence from her.

More here http://www.terry.co.uk/desertion.html

#34 lormakmak

lormakmak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:26:37

Two years is all that is required for desertion. Make sure you keep any correspondence from her.

More here http://www.terry.co.uk/desertion.html

Thanks Jay

#35 Somchai Mao

Somchai Mao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:29:09

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. The number of British guys I know and divorced Thai women I know, the general consensus is the girls know exactly what they are entitled to. You can be sure, even though you think she wants to cut ties, that she will go for whatever she can financially. My advice is to see a solicitor as soon as you can, forget immigration, that isn't a priority. Protecting your assets is a priority. Best wishes and I wish you well.

She didn't used to work in a well known Bangkok hotel did she? If so, I know her and she was very sure of her rights prior to travelling to the UK.

I listen to some of the divorced Thai women in my local Thai restaurant. All of them living off the state, bitter and twisted. How anyone found them attractive in the first place is beyond me.

Sadly history is littered with these very sad stories. I wish you all the very best.

Edited by Somchai Mao, 2013-09-10 22:38:27.

#36 lormakmak

lormakmak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:35:18

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. The number of British guys I know and divorced Thai women I know, the general consensus is the girls know exactly what they are entitled to. You can be sure, even though you think she wants to cut ties, that she will go for whatever she can financially. My advice is to see a solicitor as soon as you can, forget immigration, that isn't a priority. Protecting your assets is a priority. Best wishes and I wish you well.

She didn't used to work in a well known Bangkok hotel did she? If so, I know her and she was very sure of her rights prior to travelling to the UK.

thanks for your wishes and NO

#37 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-10 22:56:04

I listen to some of the divorced Thai women in my local Thai restaurant. All of them living off the state, bitter and twisted. How anyone found them attractive in the first place is beyond me.

Sadly history is littered with these very sad stories. I wish you all the very best.

Divorced Thai women living off the state?

On benefits? Impossiblecoffee1.gif

Good luck and best wishes to the OP

#38 malct

malct

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 00:17:51

It winds me up to hear these story's!!! But its better to happen now and now you plan your own new life. 

Regarding these situations, If you know of a woman who is planning on taking off after getting the IIR, Is there anything you can do apart from telling the Husband, I am unsure what action the UKBA would take because without proof, they cant do anything.

Edited by malct, 2013-09-11 00:36:38.

#39 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 01:08:46

Before you read what I suggest below I have to tell you I'm very lucky. I've been happily married to a Thai/American for the last 14 years and a bonus is her family speaks fluent English. We don't mix with the Thai community when in the UK for half the year but have many friends when back in Thailand.

I've known quite a few scenario's like this one and there are common traits or pointers that the husband often ignores. One is the routine of the Thai 'friends' coming around maybe once a week for the big meal and the other is the wife spending a lot of time on the computer.

While the husband is talking about football or the grand prix with the other farangs the wife is comparing notes with others.

If you check your or her computer and find the history is wiped or she uses a proxy server warning bells should ring. History wiped after every session is another light bulb. If she spends lots of time on the computer it may be when you are at work and she's plotting to catch her next big fish.

Love is blind I'm afraid and often the first the guy knows it's all gone wrong is when she up's and leaves. By then he has paid for the house/land in Thailand and his account is drained so it's on to the next punter.

#40 Somchai Mao

Somchai Mao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 01:16:37

Before you read what I suggest below I have to tell you I'm very lucky. I've been happily married to a Thai/American for the last 14 years and a bonus is her family speaks fluent English. We don't mix with the Thai community when in the UK for half the year but have many friends when back in Thailand.

I've known quite a few scenario's like this one and there are common traits or pointers that the husband often ignores. One is the routine of the Thai 'friends' coming around maybe once a week for the big meal and the other is the wife spending a lot of time on the computer.

While the husband is talking about football or the grand prix with the other farangs the wife is comparing notes with others.

If you check your or her computer and find the history is wiped or she uses a proxy server warning bells should ring. History wiped after every session is another light bulb. If she spends lots of time on the computer it may be when you are at work and she's plotting to catch her next big fish.

Love is blind I'm afraid and often the first the guy knows it's all gone wrong is when she up's and leaves. By then he has paid for the house/land in Thailand and his account is drained so it's on to the next punter.

Very true, the computer is a big pointer. I don't approve of it but if you are that way inclined there is key logging software. Too much contact with other Thai women in your host country is to be avoided as much as possible. They will teach her all the tricks and fill her head full of nonsense. Ironically very few Thai women after divorce actually prosper.

If she thinks otherwise and builds a big network of friends then you may as well change the locks now.

#41 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 01:19:56

Spot on Somchai.

Another pointer is when you hear them bragging about what they have in Thailand.

The wife may be happy until she starts to feel she is the buffalo in the relationship

being taken advantage of by the farang.

#42 Somchai Mao

Somchai Mao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 01:37:09

Subtle things like when she opens her purse in front of other Thai women does she make sure it's full of money?

Grandiose gestures, paying with large denomination notes in front of friends.

Expensive handbags, shoes, showing them to friends.

Any of these things point to her having moved up the pecking pecking order and is now dispensing advice to others. Once she has that status, she's off.

It's all about the money, money, money as Jesse says.

#43 Satcommlee

Satcommlee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 01:47:45

POPULAR

Behind every story like this is a match made in heaven.. She's not like the rest... She's different!!

It could happen to anyone one of us, and we all need to be cautious! There is plenty of precedent.

I sympathise with the OP, what he is not telling us about is the heartbreak he has suffered.

So on getting ILR she has done a runner, I'm sure that should he communicate with the immigration agencies then they will be on his side and advise the best possible course of action.

#44 Jay Sata

Jay Sata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 02:01:35

Agreed.

Good advice.

Sadly not much good as you say for the heartbreak but better he let UKBA be aware of what she has done.

Reading this again

my wife has just been granted her ILR visa and within 1 month has left the marital house hold and the only messages she has sent me is 'do not look for her' and sent me an email accusing me of being nasty to her and to not waste my time trying to cancel her visa as she has been to citizens advice and they tell her I cannot?

It appears she was aware the relationship was not permanent as far as she was concerned but wanted the ILR.

So she deceived the UKBA and as such acquired ILR by fraud.

It might be worth a visit to your local police station.

As I said earlier she is now entitled to a raft of benefits the Citizens Advice Centre would have made her aware of. She would also have had free legal advice. (All freebies that 7by7 wont accept)

Her friends would have suggested the CAB route as that way they advise what an 'abused wife' has as rights.

She get a state funded apartment minimum plus all the extra's.

Edited by Jay Sata, 2013-09-11 02:09:05.

#45 Somchai Mao

Somchai Mao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 02:06:15

POPULAR

Behind every story like this is a match made in heaven.. She's not like the rest... She's different!!

It could happen to anyone one of us, and we all need to be cautious! There is plenty of precedent.

I sympathise with the OP, what he is not telling us about is the heartbreak he has suffered.

So on getting ILR she has done a runner, I'm sure that should he communicate with the immigration agencies then they will be on his side and advise the best possible course of action.

Forget about UKBA, it took us a decade to get rid of Abu Hamza and his mate. They aren't going to be bothered about some runaway Thai bird. I could take you now to at least half a dozen Thai birds living under the radar with no visa, been in he UK years. Massage parlours, Thai restaurants, Adultwork will all ensure they have enough to send back to the baan.

Just make sure you get a good solicitor and don't go on a downward spiral. If there is another farang there, it may not work out and that charm that captured you in the first place will come back. Cut all ties as soon as you possibly can. Try and live with the pain, it won't be there forever but don't dull it with too much booze. My best wishes.

#46 7by7

7by7

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 06:11:02

POPULAR

It seems the talking bollocks brigade are out in force now.

Edited by 7by7, 2013-09-11 06:11:57.

#47 somtampet

somtampet

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 06:40:21

A  couple of posters are correct about the THAI GATHERING

I used to see a thai women in stoke,found out she was married and ditched her,she gave advise to other thai women about their rights

Edited by somtampet, 2013-09-11 06:41:06.

#48 somtampet

somtampet

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 06:43:37

Amate of mine in uk,was seeing a thai girl who lived in uk,she had a husband,after a while she left husband and went to live with mate,then he realised she was bad and told her to go,she refused,He had to get the police involved as she became abusive.

He also told the cops that she was on overstay for a good while,the cops said it was nothing to do with them

#49 colinneil

colinneil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 07:14:32

I had same thing happen to me 12 years ago. My ex-wife got ilr went to council, got housing benefit, social everything.

She came to see me 1 day, give me 20,000 pounds or i will go to police, i will say you raped me, beat me, raped my friend she thought she would get away with it, big mistake. She went to police made a statement times dates places etc.

Police arrested me, checked things out, my passsport showed i was in hong kong at the time, matter closed, police did nothing to her for lying .

I went to immigration in leeds. We will deport her, what a joke she is still going back and forward uk thailand.

See a lawyer , watch your back. Immigration are a total waste of time.

#50 DekDaeng

DekDaeng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 2013-09-11 09:48:22

Take the time, sit down & write a book documenting from before you met her to the current day. Write everything you know to be fact (ie your side, etc) in red and any conjecture (what you think she was doing, etc) in green. Make sure absolutely truthful & complete.

Did you ever hit her, what were the circumstances. (I hit mine once, but I am quite sure she would not like the circumstances to be known - she, being a good 'christian' could not ask me for a divorce, so she tried to 'persuade' me to ask her for a divorce. What she didn't do in that effort .....)

Also document the financial side. 

Have it notarized or made a statutory declaration. Just for protection. You may or may not want to publish.

Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: