50 replies to this topic

#26 khwaibah

khwaibah

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 2013-10-27 11:13:06

It will be interesting on its impact to KSK and Centrals response to this property.

#27 daoyai

daoyai

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 2013-10-27 11:43:55

Quotes   :          "Maya an urban living lifestyle centre" whatever that means.

"Maya ...the heart and soul of Chiang Mai" another nail in the coffin of Loh Kroi Rd.blink.png

Are you saying that Maya is going to cater to the bar and bar girls scene.

I missed that part.

No ice rink on this one.

I am sure you will see them there on shopping sprees with their Tirak.

#28 NancyL

NancyL

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 2013-10-27 14:12:10

I'm ready!  Nice to see all this so close.  Too bad they're not considering pedestrian entry across the Superhighway -- no evidence of a walkover bridge being built.  But, that intersection already suffers from so much gridlock that it's fairly easy to walk thru the cars parked waiting for the light, provided you watch out for the motorcycles weaving in-and-out.

#29 Sparkles

Sparkles

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 2013-10-27 15:16:42

Walkover bridges are apparently not mandatory in any development in CM.Take Airport Plaza. Been there for how long ? Pedestrian crossing on HD Road is ignored by road users and the number of people that take to a hazardous crossing under the fly over is quite scary.  If you happen to have a physical impediment or simple aged...tough luck

#30 hellodolly

hellodolly

hello dolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,151 posts

Posted 2013-10-27 16:31:06

I'm ready!  Nice to see all this so close.  Too bad they're not considering pedestrian entry across the Superhighway -- no evidence of a walkover bridge being built.  But, that intersection already suffers from so much gridlock that it's fairly easy to walk thru the cars parked waiting for the light, provided you watch out for the motorcycles weaving in-and-out.

I was thinking the same thing. With the aging (me) population they should consider pedestrian over passes with escalators like at Tesco where they can take shopping carts.

It was pretty obvious that the city was going to do nothing about the traffic when they approved the plans for the mall.

They are talking about a rapid transit and even have a proposed route for it. They just can't figure out what kind of a system would work. That is if they are even half way serious about it. Even with a rapid transit system it would only be a temporary relief for that intersection as the city continues to grow.sad.png

#31 jaideeguy

jaideeguy

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 07:55:50

Quotes   :          "Maya an urban living lifestyle centre" whatever that means.

"Maya ...the heart and soul of Chiang Mai" another nail in the coffin of Loh Kroi Rd.blink.png

"Maya an urban living lifestyle centre" means the same thing as 'Promanada resort mall'.

All these new shopping centers seem to be aiming at the BKK yuppy market.  If the Prom is any indication of the traffic that another CM mall will bring, then there are no worries as the Prom seems like a ghost mall on the several occasions that I've been.   Not complaining, as I don't like the crowds and lack of decent parking of KSK and AP.

#32 cm das

cm das

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 08:36:51

If you were going to spend billions of Baht on a development project, wouldn't you want to get the promotional materials just right? Wouldn't you think to have English text & narration checked by a native speaker before sending them out into the world? Or would that mean a loss of face for someone in the marketing team? The mall itself looks ok to me as far as malls go, but I'm always surprised to see such tortured & error-strewn English being used to promote big money housing developments, condos and shopping centers in Thailand.

#33 coma

coma

Night Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 10:08:43

This thing is just going to choke up traffic like nothing else. nimmanhaemin road and Huay Kaew coming from the Uni are horrendous in peak hour as it is.

Town planner should be 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

#34 Asiantravel

Asiantravel

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 10:45:35

I haven't been to CM since January of this year. What stage are they at regarding construction and when is it likely to open?

#35 CobraSnakeNecktie

CobraSnakeNecktie

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 10:48:56

I think its supposed to be 47 days till opening.  ~ Dec 13 2013

#36 hellodolly

hellodolly

hello dolly

• Advanced Members
  • 14,151 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 10:51:07

If you were going to spend billions of Baht on a development project, wouldn't you want to get the promotional materials just right? Wouldn't you think to have English text & narration checked by a native speaker before sending them out into the world? Or would that mean a loss of face for someone in the marketing team? The mall itself looks ok to me as far as malls go, but I'm always surprised to see such tortured & error-strewn English being used to promote big money housing developments, condos and shopping centers in Thailand.

You are right it is Thailand they should use Thai.

#37 hellodolly

hellodolly

hello dolly

• Advanced Members
  • 14,151 posts

Posted 2013-10-28 10:52:47

I think its supposed to be 47 days till opening.  ~ Dec 13 2013

That is what the article said.

#38 Gil

Gil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 2013-11-17 22:14:27

I live just behind. We watched its building process since the beginning last year.

My wife always told me she wanted to be at a walking distance from a mall. Her jubilation!402.gif

I just hope to find a Rimping kinna grocery store there. I cook, she cleans. licklips.gif

Edited by Gil, 2013-11-17 22:15:55.

#39 CobraSnakeNecktie

CobraSnakeNecktie

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 2013-11-17 22:21:56

I thought somebody on here said both a TOPS and Rimping will be in Maya. 

For sure I have heard TOPS will be there.

For the most part I am happy with the design and road changes. I was braced for the worst.

Pleasantly surprised so far anyway.

#40 CMX

CMX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 2013-11-17 22:53:03

Some years ago Winnie t K launched a question - which was the worst intersection in/around the city?  This was it.  Morning traffic ought not to be worse by much, but just thinking about N and S traffic on Canal after 10 or 11 (opening time) gives a great headache, particularly when tied to the developments to the north and west.  Beauty and pace are crumbling fast. 

So it goes.

Edited by CMX, 2013-11-17 22:54:13.

#41 Rotweiler

Rotweiler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 2013-11-18 08:40:16

Yes, I can see it all now....  the promotional literature for Chiang Mai will now read...  

Feel right at home in Thailand!  A City with umpteen major shopping malls just like home!  Gucci, Cartier - All the major brands in each mall.  Shop till you drop in air-conditioned comfort!  Eat at McDonald's just like at home.  Chiang Mai!  

Elephants?  Hill tribes?  Genuine handicrafts?  Nah - those silly things are banned from our luxurious malls!  Beaches?  Sorry - not here.  

But come visit Chiang Mai!  Your shopping haven only 11,000 km from home.

LOS - Land of Shopping!

#42 jaideeguy

jaideeguy

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 2013-11-18 08:43:39

A mall is a mall is a mall and they are all same same to me.  

One way to minimize traffic and be handy to the hi so yuppy BKK tourists would be to have a 'CM mall bus tour'  

that would make the rounds from mall to mall to mall.  could easily be a loop route and cover all the malls of CM.

#43 jackr

jackr

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 2013-11-18 09:13:54

CM needs less of these:

Attached File  maya.jpg   11.3KB   6 downloads

and more of these:

Attached File  temp.jpg   55.94KB   5 downloads

whistling.gif

#44 DavidMavec

DavidMavec

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 2013-11-19 22:19:45

One big  eyesore Chiang Mai has become!

#45 Frank James

Frank James

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 2013-11-20 13:59:53

Once again the bizarre fascination by farangs with hideous shopping malls.

It is the Thais who are fascinated by 'hideous shopping malls'. They pack into Central Airport Plaza every weekend. Most Westerners, especially many of those who have moved here, have no love for soulless malls whatsoever. So now we have Promenada, Central Festival, Star Street, Central Airport,  the  well-worn KSK, and now this MAYA monster. Has saturation been met, or exceeded? Time will tell.

#46 hellodolly

hellodolly

hello dolly

• Advanced Members
  • 14,151 posts

Posted 2013-11-20 15:11:58

A mall is a mall is a mall and they are all same same to me.  

One way to minimize traffic and be handy to the hi so yuppy BKK tourists would be to have a 'CM mall bus tour'  

that would make the rounds from mall to mall to mall.  could easily be a loop route and cover all the malls of CM.

Might have to be a two day tour

Once again the bizarre fascination by farangs with hideous shopping malls.

It is the Thais who are fascinated by 'hideous shopping malls'. They pack into Central Airport Plaza every weekend. Most Westerners, especially many of those who have moved here, have no love for soulless malls whatsoever. So now we have Promenada, Central Festival, Star Street, Central Airport,  the  well-worn KSK, and now this MAYA monster. Has saturation been met, or exceeded? Time will tell.

I wouldn't call the Promenada hideous. It may not have the stores or food court you want but the mall itself I find to be nice.

As for central Festival and Star I have not been to either one of them. So I can't say. From the description of Central Festival it sounds like a big box with no life. But I have heard it has a few shops you won't find elsewhere. Have to get out and che3ck out the I max theater.

edit

The video for Maya looked good but then again will it live up to it. The location is the worst one possible in today's Chiang Mai,

Edited by hellodolly, 2013-11-20 15:14:33.

#47 midas

midas

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 2014-07-16 14:22:34

So to those that have visited this shopping centre recently, what is your impression?

I was disappointed that some of the restaurants on level 4 have already been and gone while some others are still boarded-up promising that they are coming soon and were due to open on 1 April!

I wonder how many people are actually spending significant money there?

#48 roger1999

roger1999

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 2014-07-16 15:06:47

I go there several times a week.   I haven't noticed any restaurant already going out of business.  Unless I am mistaken, the only "boarded up" space is the unit that was suppose to be The Duke's before he decided to focus his efforts elsewhere for now.

The food court in the basement does a booming business as do most of the restaurants.  As for the shops, I can't say.

#49 Asiantravel

Asiantravel

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 2014-07-16 18:31:49

but are people spending there ?

Edited by Asiantravel, 2014-07-16 18:33:41.

#50 Asiantravel

Asiantravel

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 2014-07-16 18:32:46

I go there several times a week.   I haven't noticed any restaurant already going out of business.  Unless I am mistaken, the only "boarded up" space is the unit that was suppose to be The Duke's before he decided to focus his efforts elsewhere for now.

The food court in the basement does a booming business as do most of the restaurants.  As for the shops, I can't say.

i cant see it working witghout a dept store

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: