View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

BKK airport immigration (arrivals) - Thai passport name vs name on airline passenger list

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mika123

Mika123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 2013-11-07 21:35:44

I'm curious to see if anyone has experience with this situation:

I have a Thai passport and plan to fly into BKK from the US. I will be flying out of the US on my US Passport and the airline reservation is under the name on my US passport.  Upon arrival in BKK, I will use my Thai passport to enter Thailand, but the last name is slightly different (Thai passport has "maiden name", US passport and airline reservation has "maiden name-husband's last name").  

Would there be any issues with me using the automated passport control and/or immigration officer given that my surname on the Thai passport does not exactly match that on the airline passenger list?

I heard somewhere that the airlines give passenger lists to the immigration.  Any insights on this?

#2 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 03:07:48

The last time you left Thailand, did you do so with your Thai passport?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

#3 ubonjoe

ubonjoe

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • 23,767 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 07:47:41

You should not have a problem. They don't cross check entries to passenger lists as far as I know.

#4 curtklay

curtklay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 11:14:00

You should have no problem. My wife does this all the time. It is not uncommon for a Thai to go by her maiden name in Thailand, and her married name in the US as long as her Thai ID card matches her Thai passport. The airline ticket should match her US passport. If you are ever questioned, just show both passports.

#5 GrantSmith

GrantSmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 14:54:17

You should not have a problem. They don't cross check entries to passenger lists as far as I know.

Whilst the OP shouldn't encounter any problems with Immigration, Immigration do cross check/reference with passenger manifests. I've been pulled up in various countries because there's been 2 passengers with the same name as me departing internationally.

A quick check of passport and boarding pass confirms that it's just the curse of having such a "unique" name :P

Depending on how long you're going to be in BKK for, might be less hassle to enter/depart on the US passport.

#6 ubonjoe

ubonjoe

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • 23,767 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 15:05:12

That sounds like you were departing a country and not Thailand.

#7 GrantSmith

GrantSmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 15:55:45

That sounds like you were departing a country and not Thailand.

Yes I wasn't departing Thailand, but that's not to say Immigration in Thailand do not have access to passenger manifests. I guess it's whether or not they utilise them ;)

#8 ubonjoe

ubonjoe

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • 23,767 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 16:15:14

They don't bother with them I think.

#9 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 2013-11-08 18:07:24

In Thailand, for a traveller arriving with a Thai passport the immigration officer generally checks against the traveller's last departure from Thailand. If that departure stamp is not in the same passport, he may ask to see the old passport but if the traveller does not have it with her, it won't really matter as a Thai national cannot be refused entry into Thailand under any circumstance. Another reason for the absence of a Thai departure stamp in the same passport could be that it is the traveller's first Thai passport and it was obtained outside Thailand, ie from a Thai embassy or consulate.  

#10 Mika123

Mika123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 2013-11-09 02:04:11

The last time you left Thailand, did you do so with your Thai passport?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, the last time I left Thailand - about 4 years ago - was on my Thai passport, so I have a departure stamp and the half of the form stapled in my passport.

So from all the other posts, it sounds like there shouldn't be anything to worry about.  Thanks!

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: