Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

US man pulled off plane in North Korea, detained, son says

44 posts in this topic

California man pulled off plane in North Korea, detained, son says
By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN

(CNN) -- An 85-year-old American man on an organized tour of North Korea was pulled off a departing plane in Pyongyang just minutes before it was to depart, the man's son told CNN on Wednesday.

The family has had no contact with Merrill Newman of Palo Alto, California, since he was detained on October 26, Jeff Newman said.

"This is a misunderstanding. My father is a (Korean War) veteran and wanted to see the country and culture he has been interested in for years," Newman said.

"He arranged this with a travel agent that was recommended and said was approved by the North Korean government for travel of foreigners. He had all the proper visas." [read more...]

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/20/world/asia/north-korea-detained-american/index.html

-- CNN 2013-11-21

Since the war has never officially ended, I wonder if he will be considered a prisoner of war.

Or maybe he wanted for war crimes?

1 person likes this

Strange.....must be more to the story.

1 person likes this

They just want Rodman to come and take him home. Not getting enough attention recently. xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU.png

1 person likes this

I do not understand why this man even wanted to go to NC. The war is not over and this old man talked about his role while there as a soldier. I don't understand why a US stupid sports star ended up there with the fat pig boy leader. I don't understand why American religious preachers go there. They are stupid and arrogant but I hope the old man gets home to his upper-middle class life style because of his age and learns a lesson.

Must need another pay off from Uncle Sam.

1 person likes this

Dennis Rodman will be along shortly . . .

Perhaps Dennis Rodman will propose swapping himself as a prisoner instead of the 85-year-old.

A fair definition of a win-win situation.

Perhaps Dennis Rodman will propose swapping himself as a prisoner instead of the 85-year-old.

A fair definition of a win-win situation.

Wondered if Rodman might find himself on the receiving end at some point and be denied exit.

Perhaps one day Kim won't want his friend to go home.

send a B-52 and teach that childish leader and his Generals a lesson they will NEVER forget ! coffee1.gif

Yeah, that attitude has made this world such a peaceful place.

1 person likes this

Any one from US visiting NK would seem to be taking a large risk. This was apparently compounded by him telling officials about him fighting in Korean War.

-----

The day before Newman was detained on Oct. 26, he met with North Korean officials and discussed his service in the Korean War 50 years ago, his son told the San Jose Mercury News.

"There's some misunderstanding here, a terrible misunderstanding, and my father has always had a deep respect for the Korean culture and the Korean people," he told the newspaper.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/21/21558994-korean-war-vet-removed-from-plane-and-detained-in-north-korea-son?lite

Now a pawn in a bigger game played on one side by a lunatic.

Now a pawn in a bigger game played on one side by a lunatic.

Yeah, but what about Kim Jong Il?

2 people like this

send a B-52 and teach that childish leader and his Generals a lesson they will NEVER forget ! coffee1.gif

Yes a war between the US and China, just what's needed.

ID: 20   Posted · Hidden by Scott, November 21, 2013 - trolling

I do not understand why this man even wanted to go to NC. The war is not over and this old man talked about his role while there as a soldier. I don't understand why a US stupid sports star ended up there with the fat pig boy leader. I don't understand why American religious preachers go there. They are stupid and arrogant but I hope the old man gets home to his upper-middle class life style because of his age and learns a lesson.

Seems like there is a lot you don't understand.rolleyes.gif

I went there a few years ago as a tourist and found it to be a very fascinating country. It is always good to hear the other side of the dispute because we only ever hear it

from the American perspective.ph34r.png

Non-of us know what this guy said to his guides -you don't know and I don't know.

And every country has its idiosyncrasies. I mean in America, you can get arrested simply for dancing at the Lincoln Memorialgiggle.gif

I kind of agree. If he is being used as another pawn which seems likely, I wouldn't want the U.S. government to give up anything for him. He chose to go there to an enemy state of the USA and he knew the risks. Hopefully another good warning to other Americans -- don't go there! Period.

ID: 23   Posted · Hidden by Scott, November 21, 2013 - Bashing

I can't imagine what a f ... this old guy thought about North-Korea. Typical Amerian dream walker. Off course in trouble now. Sorry.

He would have had a blast in Hanoi! Too bad he didn't go there and just SAY he had been to NK ...

He's 85. Perhaps he thought he'd booked a flight to South Korea and got off the aeroplane telling them all about how he fought the North?

Seriously, could be!

1 person likes this