• Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

#176 Cmmum

Cmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 2014-03-11 22:23:26

By the way, does anyone know why aqmthai.com and aqicn.com give such different readings?

#177 WinnieTheKhwai

WinnieTheKhwai

No woman no khwai..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 2014-03-12 07:04:47

The Chinese site (Aqicn) gave accurate information for a while but at the moment doesn't seem to be showing current values.  Either way it's supposed to be data from the same source, from the measuring stations run by the Thai Pollution Control Department.  (Just with the difference that the Chinese site showed the two-day average)

So stick with the Thai site.   It provides values in real time, and I've checked the readings visually for about a week and I'm quite confident in the readings (for the Yupparaj downtown station).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai, 2014-03-12 07:12:16.

#178 Cmmum

Cmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 2014-03-12 09:42:35

Thanks for clearing that up!

#179 Tywais

Tywais

Star Member

• Admin
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 2014-03-12 12:02:32

If you have Google Earth installed then you can download this MODIS firemap file and open it in Google Earth.  You can zoom in to the CM area to see the hotspots.  Right click and "Save Link As" and then open in Google Earth.  Fire data can be obtained here - MODIS Active Fire Maps

MODIS.kml

Example of current 48 hours

Attached File  Google MODIS.jpg   230.69KB   13 downloads

#180 Mapguy

Mapguy

Lost Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 2014-03-12 18:32:24

Interesting report elsewhere today on ThaiVisa Chiang Mai about a NIDA study about cancer.   See: http://www.thaivisa....-8#entry7553896

Not really good news when you think about it, so nothing to really make you feel much better!

Keep in mind that cancer is only one danger from carbon emissions of various kinds, and it is not clear what else might have been included in the study.

One could wonder about the regional analysis, too, and whether there is an apples and  oranges problem in the research design.

Ignored, of course, is that the morbidity and mortality rates due to agricultural burning probably have much more to do with respiratory and other diseases, not cancer.  See under “Health Effects” here:  http://en.wikipedia....ki/Particulates .

NIDA is basically a business school, but does have a Faculty of Social and Environmental Development.  Perhaps that is where the research came from.  One might think that the Ministry of Public Health or Natural Resources and Environment  would have done some research like this.  Maybe they have.  There is one quite good study on the hazards agricultural burning involving concentrations of PM<2.5 done by someone at CMU.  It was posted on "Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 CHiang Mai, as I recall.  Anyway, a little cross-disciplinary research can be a good thing.

All in all, of course, inhaling automotive exhaust or  smoke from agricultural burning or forest fires is not recommended, to say the least!

Edited by Mapguy, 2014-03-12 18:38:12.

#181 chooka

chooka

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 2014-03-12 19:25:26

All these expert reports coming out of China and Bangkok mean nothing to the people of Chiangmai who are chocking to death.  All is well I assure you from our air conditioned offices a thousand kms away

#182 T_Dog

T_Dog

Outside Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 07:21:21

Chiang Mai looks to be the center of the universe, burning-wise in SE Asia.    The image below is not very useful, but you can use Google Earth to zoom in to your area after you download a KML file for SE Asia from this website Tywais posted earlier:     https://earthdata.na...ctive-fire-data    Our air up in Mae Taeng took a drastic downward turn overnight.

Attached Files

#183 WinnieTheKhwai

WinnieTheKhwai

No woman no khwai..

• Advanced Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 08:11:10

Agreed; I'm not sure that those pics with arbitrary zoom-settings, arbitrary time period (day? week?) and an arbitrary (but fixed) fire icon size is very indicative of what's going on.

Clearly it's going to be hazy/smoggy the second half of March, but I can tell people that looking at a calendar. Not sure you can tell how bad it's going to be by looking at the fire map. (Or if so, how.)

In other words, I have no idea if what I'm looking at is good, bad, or normal for the time of the year.  

And no idea if and how much this is going to impact the haze over the coming days.  (Trust me, I wish I did know; the only way I can somewhat predict things is by looking at surrounding provinces' PM10 readings.)

Attached File  Capture.JPG   122.74KB   9 downloads

Now for some wild guess work, in the above I see forest fires in the hills, but the Chiang Mai / Lamphun valley (where rice is grown) seems relatively clear of major fires.  I wonder if that means if there is less rice field burning.  But with nothing to compare it to, it's all a bit pointless to try and say anything.

I often wish we had Priceless back to painstakingly analyse stuff over time. :(

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai, 2014-03-13 08:24:46.

#184 Joop50

Joop50

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 10:42:01

Here in Thaton, Mae Ai district, there was an immense forest burning on the mountains yesterday afternoon and evening. Its a border area with Burma. 
There is a strong breeze from the west/north-west which drove/drives the smoke to the east. Last days lots of smoke were coming from Burma but still the situation here is much better than what I have  experienced in Chiang Mai. I notice no burnings in the rice fields.

Edited by Joop50, 2014-03-13 10:43:16.

#185 T_Dog

T_Dog

Outside Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 17:04:50

The day saved again by the wind.  Looks like more wind is on the way which is good news this time of year.

http://www.tmd.go.th...ow.php?wID=4075

#186 MESmith

MESmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 17:53:00

BBC forecasting rain on Saturday, & thunderstorms on Monday. 

Hope they're right smile.png

#187 T_Dog

T_Dog

Outside Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 17:57:49

BBC forecasting rain on Saturday, & thunderstorms on Monday. 

Hope they're right smile.png

Me too!  I put on my N95 mask today and took the mountain bike up in the hills and ran into a hunter.  I asked him why there was so little burning this year and he responded "mai hang" or not dry.    Still quite green up there.   If we get some rain, maybe it will stay that way until the regular rains start.   

#188 MESmith

MESmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 18:31:16

The day saved again by the wind.  Looks like more wind is on the way which is good news this time of year.

http://www.tmd.go.th...ow.php?wID=4075

Yep, as we drove home this afternoon, you could see the wind was from the southish by the direction the giant plumes of smoke were blowing.  Fortunately, away from our place.  Other folk, not so lucky.

#189 chooka

chooka

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 20:16:44

Agreed; I'm not sure that those pics with arbitrary zoom-settings, arbitrary time period (day? week?) and an arbitrary (but fixed) fire icon size is very indicative of what's going on.

Clearly it's going to be hazy/smoggy the second half of March, but I can tell people that looking at a calendar. Not sure you can tell how bad it's going to be by looking at the fire map. (Or if so, how.)

In other words, I have no idea if what I'm looking at is good, bad, or normal for the time of the year.  

And no idea if and how much this is going to impact the haze over the coming days.  (Trust me, I wish I did know; the only way I can somewhat predict things is by looking at surrounding provinces' PM10 readings.)

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Now for some wild guess work, in the above I see forest fires in the hills, but the Chiang Mai / Lamphun valley (where rice is grown) seems relatively clear of major fires.  I wonder if that means if there is less rice field burning.  But with nothing to compare it to, it's all a bit pointless to try and say anything.

I often wish we had Priceless back to painstakingly analyse stuff over time. sad.png

San Sai has not been to bad today but the last 3 or 4 days were hell, burning eyes and extremely hard to breathe.  Still not comfortable but can spend 10 or 15 minutes outside.

#190 anon11

anon11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 2014-03-13 20:21:12

Buy a decent face mask reduce exercise outside ( even with mask ) keep the windows closed ...if you have a chest complaint see your doctor BUT get a good mask

#191 Tywais

Tywais

Star Member

• Admin
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 12:26:04

Thick, thick, thick.  Today was the worse I have seen it this year.  Heavy white haze all the way from Mae Hia to Chiang Mai University.  At CMU could not see Doi Suthep temple. 

PM10 at Yupparaj of 131, at City Hall 129.  Max safe level is 120.  Still not that high relative to previous years for this month.  172 at Lampang, highest in the country.

#192 khwaibah

khwaibah

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 17:29:28

asia.jpg

#193 Joop50

Joop50

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 17:34:19

Thaton 2 days ago. The wind turned last night to south-east (more pollution) but now back to north-west again. The last rain over here was on 13 december, hope the weather forecast is right.

Attached File  Burning A4.jpeg   168.91KB   12 downloads

Attached File  Burning A1.jpeg   190.3KB   12 downloads

#194 eyecatcher

eyecatcher

flippant member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 19:37:03

Alert!
Rain in Nimmen today 5.45pm.
Lasted about 30 seconds.

Went to make sure no one was using a hosepipe.

Where did it go, why 30 seconds.

Talk about someone taking yer toys off yer.

#195 MESmith

MESmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:17:15

Alert!
Rain in Nimmen today 5.45pm.
Lasted about 30 seconds.

Went to make sure no one was using a hosepipe.

Where did it go, why 30 seconds.

Talk about someone taking yer toys off yer.

Told you yesterday http://www.bbc.com/w...r/1116869?day=0

#196 wolfmuc

wolfmuc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:27:00

Thick, thick, thick.  Today was the worse I have seen it this year.  Heavy white haze all the way from Mae Hia to Chiang Mai University.  At CMU could not see Doi Suthep temple. 

PM10 at Yupparaj of 131, at City Hall 129.  Max safe level is 120.  Still not that high relative to previous years for this month.  172 at Lampang, highest in the country.

Yupparaj has seen 207 today, Lampang (38t) 232 and here in Phrae we had 304.

All aqmthai.com  -  What's the reason for our different results?

Btw aqicn.org shows CM 89, Lampang 134, Phrae 103.

Clueless.

#197 T_Dog

T_Dog

Outside Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:27:33

Thaton 2 days ago. The wind turned last night to south-east (more pollution) but now back to north-west again. The last rain over here was on 13 december, hope the weather forecast is right.

attachicon.gifBurning A4.jpeg

attachicon.gifBurning A1.jpeg

Joop.... Incredible photos there.  Wow!    

#198 T_Dog

T_Dog

Outside Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:28:39

Coming in from the north today, we thought CM was fairly clear!

#199 MESmith

MESmith

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:33:25

Coming in from the north today, we thought CM was fairly clear!

Really bad SK way.  Tons to do in the garden, but my eyes don't like it sad.png  

#200 WinnieTheKhwai

WinnieTheKhwai

No woman no khwai..

• Advanced Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 2014-03-14 21:54:52

Note that the standard figure is a daily average. That assumes that there will be many values higher than that, and many values lower than that. It doesn't matter too much in the example you gave as today's daily average will end up in the 120-130 region anyway, but it's important to keep this separate when comparing numbers.

Yupparaj has seen 207 today, Lampang (38t) 232 and here in Phrae we had 304.
All aqmthai.com  -  What's the reason for our different results?
Btw aqicn.org shows CM 89, Lampang 134, Phrae 103.
Clueless.

Look up.  (Post 177) : http://www.thaivisa....-8#entry7550998

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai, 2014-03-14 21:57:34.

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: