Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maestro

Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

52 posts in this topic

6 January 2014 Last updated at 12:41 GMT

Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

An Airbus A380 plane operated by Singapore Airlines was forced to make an emergency landing in Azerbaijan due to loss of cabin pressure.
The plane was flying from London to Singapore and had 467 passengers and 27 crew members on board.
The airline said that oxygen masks were deployed and the aircraft landed "uneventfully" at the Baku airport.
It said that none of the passengers or crew was injured and that it was investigating what caused the problem.
bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-01-06

ID: 3   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - profanity

Those passengers that are complaining that they did not get a drink/food quick enough must be the most ungrateful/selfish people in the world. They should be thankful that they had a flight crew that was competent enough to bring the plane down safely & save their miserable f***ing lives! What would they prefer?

ID: 4   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - reply to removed post

Those passengers that are complaining that they did not get a drink/food quick enough must be the most ungrateful/selfish people in the world. They should be thankful that they had a flight crew that was competent enough to bring the plane down safely & save their miserable f***ing lives! What would they prefer?

Oh good lord, it wasn't like the aircraft was on fire or had flight control damage. It is startling to see the masks deploy, but that's the way the systems are designed. The aircraft just needs to descend to a lower altitude, it's not an emergency in the sense it is about to crash.

2 people like this

ID: 5   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - baiting

...waiting on Airbus bashing...

1 person likes this

ID: 6   Posted · Hidden by Scott, January 7, 2014 - Off-topic

No need for that , Boeing 787 with so many technical problems that it makes A380 a perfect bird

Lots of hysterical Marys around these days.

1 person likes this

ID: 9   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - reply to removed post

neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:neatfeet12, on 06 Jan 2014 - 18:46, said:

If I've paid for food and drink then I'd prefer that it's served on time.

I don't care if the oxygen masks are deployed, the engines are on fire and the plane in a vertical spin, my wife will hold the tray whilst I dine.

And I certainly wouldn't request a stopover in Azerbaijan.

I wouldn't worry about Baku, AZ; try an unscheduled stop in Albuquerque when the second AC system on an AA757 EWR-LAX fails at altitude (the plane left EWR with only 1 AC system working). Same scenario, dive down to sub-10,000 feet and masks deploy. Wouldn't have been a major concern but given it was only 3 weeks after the 9/11 events, it did trigger a fair amount of consternation on board.

To give AA their due the pilot was professionalism personified, a backup plane picked us up 2 hours later and the hysterical person I was sitting next to decided not to fly so soon after the "event: all in all not a bad outcome.

ID: 11   Posted · Hidden by Scott, January 7, 2014 - Off-topic

If it's not Boeing I'm not going.

ID: 12   Posted · Hidden by Scott, January 7, 2014 - Off-topic

It would seem to me that these new jets from Boeing as well as Airbus are so complex that they have a few kinks to get out before they operate "normally." Luckily none have had any fatalities/casualties. Both companies are competent and have nothing to gain by releasing aircraft they know has any problems; the results could be catastrophic for them. We're lucky to be able to fly almost anywhere in the world as quickly, efficiently, and safely as we do. We can thank Boeing and Airbus for continuing that tradition.

Off-topic posts deleted. Stay on topic, please.

I wonder how many of the "complaining passengers" are Singaporean - they generally are an uptight bunch.

Congrats to the Captain & crew for safe handling of this situation. Good Work !

1 person likes this

ID: 16   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - reply to removed post

Oh good lord, it wasn't like the aircraft was on fire or had flight control damage. It is startling to see the masks deploy, but that's the way the systems are designed. The aircraft just needs to descend to a lower altitude, it's not an emergency in the sense it is about to crash.

They should have a warning before those dastardly things drop down and scare everyone.

Something along the lines of ...'in 3 seconds a mask will drop from above'....place it over your gob and kiss your arse goodbye...or some such method.

They should also have it in sign language for the hearing impaired.

ID: 17   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - reply to removed post

Had this been a TG 380 we'd be treated to the usual Thai bashing on maintenance etc.

Food for thought....the growing number of incidents involving the A380 series: http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/a388/airbus-a-380-800

I guess I shouldn't be crying over travel plans that will see me miss out on my first TG 380 flight ever out of CDG. Instead I get a new torture seat on the "refurbished" AB 340

ID: 19   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - reply to removed post

They should have a warning before those dastardly things drop down and scare everyone.

Something along the lines of ...'in 3 seconds a mask will drop from above'....place it over your gob and kiss your arse goodbye...or some such method.

They should also have it in sign language for the hearing impaired.

Most aircraft I have worked on, had pressure sensors that automatically deployed the masks, if that didn't work, there were manual switches the crew could operate. A sudden loss of pressurization isn't always predictable, and as I said, it is not likely the plane is going to crash. Once at an altitude where oxygen was no longer required, the aircraft cold have flown as long as necessary. Not a bad idea to make an announcement, just no need to make stupid ones. Also, they do a pretty simple job of explaining the oxygen mask in the safety cards and preflight briefing, often in multiple languages, but perhaps you are to busy to notice.

1 person likes this

ID: 20   Posted · Hidden by Maestro, January 7, 2014 - Troll post.

let me off let me off it's going to crash

Removed a post using a profanity and the replies to it. Also removed a troll post, and a baiting post and the reply to it.

Food for thought....the growing number of incidents involving the A380 series: http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/a388/airbus-a-380-800

Well it is unlikely to be a shrinking number of incidents is it?

Not quite Dreamliner status yet?

I would have panicked too... of all places to be doing an emergency landing!!!

1 person likes this

I wonder what the response would have been from the TVF crowd had it been a TG A380...

My sister was on the flight.

They think there was a leak from one of the doors because it was inspected by a technician before take off.

She said the descent was pretty scary. Baku airport for a day, a few hours in the Hilton and she's now in Singapore waiting for a connection to Sydney.

Not enough info for passengers and sq couldn't provide much inside the airport.

All the fun of the fair.

ID: 25   Posted · Hidden by Scott, January 8, 2014 - duplicate

My sister was on the flight.

They think there was a leak from one of the doors because it was inspected by a technician before take off.

She said the descent was pretty scary. Baku airport for a day, a few hours in the Hilton and she's now in Singapore waiting for a connection to Sydney.

Not enough info for passengers and sq couldn't provide much inside the airport.

All the fun of the fair.