• Announcements

• Tech Doctor

Thai Visa Upgrade Continuation   08/01/2016

Changes applied, forum may still be sluggish at slow times whilst the indexing process continue. More updates to follow   Thank you for your understanding. Tech Team + TD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sabaijai

History shows a way out of the Thai conflict

121 posts in this topic

ID: 2   Posted · Hidden by sabaijai, January 14, 2014 - off topic

I think someone forgot to lock this topic...

Wow, well that's food for thought. Explains the logic of the simple "get out" demand a bit more than was previously known.

I hope within the cultural framework there is an option to fit the future desires of investment and growth though, as we are way past the 70's in regards to development and infrastructure, and sadly modern money can have very bad manners and very strict rules.

I think the understanding in elite level society is there to adapt to changes but if that's the mindset as to how to expect a solution to be brokered, then I think it's a long shot to believe anyone with anything invested in PTP will let their position of influence wane voluntarily. Might be this test to break the mould and try to counter and nullify, not remove, the threat that matures and unites society for the better.

A seriously useful and (I believe) well-balanced Original Post.

I can't help but think though that Suthep (with Abhisit's blessing, if not proactive support - at least not visibly!!) will become increasingly desperate as he knows, in his heart of hearts, that their best hope to usurp power is via a military coup.

And the most likely way for that to occur is for him to up the ante and provoke or even initiate violence on the streets of Bangkok.

Just my two-penn'orth.

This, too, I found to be an interesting read:

CBC Report, issued today.

1 person likes this

A breath of fresh air to read a factual and unbiased peice contrary to most of the rubbish written in the Thai English papers, and opposed to most of the foreign reporting that sounds like the writers have just arrived yesterday. Everyone can get the mind working and learn a bit from this peice!

1 person likes this

Many Western media reports on this touchy Thai political topics in the last, say 10 years or so, and find themselves being attacked by Thais or whomever for not being accurate or being biased. I'm wondering then is it the goal of the reporters to write theirs stories so everyone is happy (but inaccurate) or is it better to write what they know is the truth (and sometimes get unhappy readers)?

Right-wing nonsense. This article will, however, undoubtedly appeal to those who believe in "the evil man from Dubai" scenario.

ID: 17   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 14, 2014 - King

from the article:

"Thaksin's approach to rule, so alien to Thai cultural values, arouses the same level and type of animosity in the minds of his opponents as does an abortion clinic in the minds of pro-lifers in the United States."

Yes, Thaksin's approach to rule arouses a lot of animosity amongst the Bangkok elite as it is the first successful political movement in Thailand that relies on genuine mass support, with genuine policies for the benefit of large parts of the population and not just a narrow Bangkok elite.

The Bangkok elite are not used to this sort of democracy which forces them to recognise their upcountry countrymen as equals to themselves. It is totally against their "cultural values" and ingrained perception of their own superiority.

This is what lies at the heart of the current problems in Thailand - the inability of a conservative elite in Thailand to adjust to modern day democracy. And they will not succeed in turning back the clock as Thailand has changed too much. Thailand outside of Bangkok has changed too much.

The author of this article seems to think Thailand can return to some "Golden Age" where members of the Thai elite took turns to share in the spoils of state without having to care about the creation of policies that are popular with the great mass of people.

Those days are over and as the author recognises in his last few paragraphs the best thing the Thai elite could do is to begin to adapt to modern day democracy by coming up with new policies of their own which will be popular with a broad section of society.

I believe you missed the point and think that somehow there is a revolving group of elites running the country. Where I think the author made it quite clear that one family or group rises to run the country and indulges to a point where they are full enough before a new family or group arises. The Shinawatra's are simply the latest group of elites, however they simply can't get their fill. They just want more.

What Thailand truly needs is an end to unaccountability of any elite group, and move towards a more true form of democracy where justice prevails over money, power and greed.

This is very true but also impossible before a very specific change at the top and what role the next will play, major, minor or not at all.

A fine piece of writing and a good in site into Thailand's people and it's nation, however through out history there has been rewrites and I think we will see one here in Thailand , the script is there the out comes are a little more harder to find, one thing is for sure , Thailand cannot continue in the direction as it has been following , there needs to be a complete turn around in attitudes across the community , for this to happen , knowing the human species as I do this will not be an easy task ,it will take courage , dedication and a mature outlook towards each other , until this comes about Thailand will always be in conflict , thanks to Thaskin Shinawatra.coffee1.gif

This is a real masterpiece...Thank you wai2.gif

Quotation: "The legitimators hope to preserve the Thailand they know from Thaksin's import of alien values. And for them this matter is supremely urgent, because coming changes at the apex of Thai society may make their goal impossible."

The uncontroled capitalism, the lack of ethics and the degeneration of society are a few of these "alien values". Now it is a historical chance for Thailand, thanks Taksin, he show them what they not want.

1 person likes this

The way forward is finding someone who can compete with Thaksin, not against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1 person likes this

Many Western media reports on this touchy Thai political topics in the last, say 10 years or so, and find themselves being attacked by Thais or whomever for not being accurate or being biased. I'm wondering then is it the goal of the reporters to write theirs stories so everyone is happy (but inaccurate) or is it better to write what they know is the truth (and sometimes get unhappy readers)?

The Nation has an emotion-level survey on their website.

I clicked on 'happy' but I was lying to save face.

Wait a minute. I thought all this is about one large family and its members fighting for land and money. The rest of the subjects are just pawns and cat poop. Well there are some that are hoping for a few bones thrown their way.