fareastguy

Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

216 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

I went today to get UK passport renewed.  There is a VFS front desk right inside the door, they speak english and directed me to the lift to 28th floor, pretty clear and straight forward.  Staff were efficient and helpful.  It seems if you have a work permit you don't need any proof of address, from what I can tell what they care about is that you're legally a resident of Thailand, not about where you live, so copy of work permit takes care of that.

 

I also had bank statements with my address but wasn't asked for them.  I also had a copy of my UK drivers license and they took that as well.  All good, in and out in 15 minutes.

Does your UK licence show your Thailand address.  

I was told a UK driving licence could only be registered to a UK address

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

Not sure why you're making the lift out to be a big deal.  There are other lifts that go to the 27th floor, so I imagine if the 28th floor lift was broken you'd go to the 27th floor and walk up one flight of stairs.

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OJAS said:

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

Not if handsum Trans was around.....They may even enjoy a song or two whilst helping out...:giggle:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

Does your UK licence show your Thailand address.  

I was told a UK driving licence could only be registered to a UK address

 

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

 

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, eskatonia said:
1 hour ago, agudbuk said:

Does your UK licence show your Thailand address.  

I was told a UK driving licence could only be registered to a UK address

 

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

 

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

 

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?
 

The Trendy is a big office building / condo complex. There are numerous lifts.
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2017 at 7:53 PM, OJAS said:

 

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

 

 

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

 

I sorted for a guy too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, eskatonia said:

 

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

 

21 hours ago, sungod said:

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

 

 

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

 

 

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

 

   There are numerous lifts that can take you there . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OJAS said:

 

 

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

 

Are you actually reading any of these posts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2017 at 5:28 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

 

Not really, they require 1 photo ID and one address verification, normally this would be your old passport, but if lost/damaged they'd accept a UK license.

 

I dare say that when the lift is out of service, they use one of the other 3.

 

Parking in the carpark does make it a little confusing the first visit, you have to go down to go up, and there's another set of lifts that don't service higher floors, but yeah, once you're in the main lobby, there is a VFS desk to ask if need be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OJAS said:

 

 

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

 

<deleted>?  IT IS ACCESSABLE, there are lifts.  According to your logic every single office which isn't on the ground floor is in violation of the disability discrimination act because a lift might potentially break down.  It doesn't work that way.  Also as has been pointed out, you don't have to go in person if you're not able to, you can send someone else and sign a doc to authorise them to do it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.