Thaivisa News

British tourist kills police in crash

317 posts in this topic

ID: 51   Posted (edited)

Know where the accident happened, it is within city limits,good road, max speed allowed 90km/h.

Look at the pic in the OP, no way Mr Benjamin was going 90, more likely 200............

And that would probably explain, why the officer crossed the road. He never expected the car to be approaching that fast.

We don't know, but not another Thai bashing thread please!!

We don't know, as you say but your assessment sounds likely, probable even especially when the small size of the car as well as its dark colour is added to the equation. Edited by piersbeckett
1 person likes this

Forget emotion this guy better get a good lawyer and the Brit Embassy better get involved pronto. This guy is in trouble no matter what

1 person likes this

Know where the accident happened, it is within city limits,good road, max speed allowed 90km/h.

Look at the pic in the OP, no way Mr Benjamin was going 90, more likely 200............

And that would probably explain, why the officer crossed the road. He never expected the car to be approaching that fast.

We don't know, but not another Thai bashing thread please!!

I would be surprised if he was doing 90kph or less, driving a fast vehicle like that and away from the gridlock of Bangkok ..( we see how the Bangkok plated vehicles behave in Pattaya and often it isn't good).

Hard for a driver to judge distance at night, and these low profile vehicles give an impression of being further away.

There is also the local habit of pulling into traffic without due regard, from any side........

U-Turns on highways are danger-spots, I live near Rt #36, accidents at U-Turns and people driving too fast is common.

Note to current leader and something that is long overdue (too late here)..., establish a highway patrol. Enforce the laws of the roads and do it with prejudice. It will take years for it to be effective but you have to start.

1 person likes this

I've driven that road numerous times, and it is very poorly lit. For me, it is usually the virtually unlit trucks traveling 30kph in the right lane that scare the crap out of me.

Hmm, sounds like one of those, I'm making a U-turn now, and don't give a damn about on coming traffic situations ....

If I had a baht for each time I had to break like crazy because one of these idiots cut me off, I'd be a very rich man ...

luudee

Plenty of those types around.

The amount of paint on the road marking previous crashes is testament that you are putting your life in the hands of people who don't give a damn about yours,or theirs. You just gotta slow down at those u turn places...even more so at night as Thais just can't judge oncoming speed and expect others to yield if they put themselves in your path.

This one seems clearly a case of the car travelling way too fast.

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

And! the motorbike turned in front of the car.

What was the speed, who knows?

My partners father was killed by a drunken cop in Hua Hin he paid to the family, he was posted south and never prosecuted.

Was the motorbike rider drunk?

He must have been SPEEDING considering the motor cycle was thrown 200 Meters.

Should be punished for causing a death due to this.

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

Un-plated bike does not mean illegal.

this bike is just recently launched in Thai market, so to get the plate it will take 3-4 months.

but yes, making a u-turn on a high speed highway was a mistake he made, but, if the car driver was speeding he should be investigate and be trial here.

Whether he was driving at speed limits (100Km/h) would he be able to stop on time?

1 person likes this

The Brit had better have a chat with the Red Bull heir to get advice. Similar accident on Sukhumvit rd some while ago. Quietly put aside.

1 person likes this

Living in Cha am I see how much cars and bikes run.....petkasem road is really an autodr

ome.

Hope he's not expecting help from the British Embassy.

1 person likes this

ID: 66   Posted (edited)

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

Edited by slipperylobster

ID: 67   Posted (edited)

"Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time".

What's with the "Hang him High" brigade today.

Who exactly knows what "speeding" is when the press over here use that description. The motorbike rider suddenly decided to make a U-Turn, cutting into the way of the car driver and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

That scenario could happen to any of us, even when not doing "so called speeding". Get a grip, I have been driving for years over here and when some idiot decides at the last second "I think I'll do a U-Turn here" then, without warning or notice drives right in front of a car without as much as a quick check behind him ...is it any wonder that this kind of thing can happen. Anybody who says it can't (either here or at home) should have another think coming.

Edited by dotpoom
1 person likes this

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

1 person likes this

Don't some of you write total and utter hogwash? Engage brain before writing tripe and try to at least read the article and establish the facts, before making assumptions.

2 people like this

ID: 71   Posted (edited)

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

well, here is the thing. It is called avoidance. Insisting on right of way is never a good thing. Clearly, excessive speed contributed to this death. Also knowledge of the danger (the man rides here often?).

If you know that Thai drivers are doing this all the time...in this spot.....why not use caution? Just because you have the right of way does not mean you lack ability to compensate.

Being in an accident sucks. But if you live in this area, and you have some local knowledge of Thai driving habits..then you will have to adjust.

I hope, at least, he was not intoxicated..that will go against him.

Edited by slipperylobster

The Thai cop does what almost ALL Thais do...make U-Turns, left hand turns or just about anything WITHOUT LOOKING.

Surely you've all experienced Thais on bikes coming out from a side street on the left. How many look to the right first? About 1% in my experience. At U-Turns more of them look....but many don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake quickly to give way to idiots at U-Turns who either don't look...or can't wait.

Yet somehow according to the consensus here,it's the Brits fault ... go figure.

blink.png

2 people like this

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

Agree, a Yamaha R3 is not that big.

Not a Benz, dear me ,more power to the Lefty Brits again...If it was Nop in a Shagged Truck its hardly worth a mention. Unplated Bike ridden by Drunk Cop most likely.

Yes definately the Thais fault, probably not, but we'll blame him anyway!

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

Agree with the good intention of your post......But, to question what the chap was doing at the hour of the morning is beyond belief.

What business is that of anyone, particularly you or any one else for that matter?

If we are speaking of a minor may be, but to throw the main point of your post to question what a grown adult is doing out and about at a particular time of the 24 hour clock amazes me and I hope others.

Amazed also as such a long time member here, you would consider it relevant to the topic!

2 people like this