Gonzo the Face

Page Of Remembrance

393 posts in this topic

There is a trend developing here. The penalty for being a mate of Blinky Bill is death. Be warned.

Bokkie..................maaate. Let's get together and have a few beers. chevil.gif

There is a trend developing here. The penalty for being a mate of Blinky Bill is death. Be warned.

Bokkie..................maaate. Let's get together and have a few beers. chevil.gif

Well then... lets make him marketing director of this thread and the page should go on forever... <_<

I've been feeling a bit butcher's since the last we time we did that.

I just lost a dear friend. His name was Michael. Maybe some of you knew him. He stayed in Verachai Court, was in his 60's and acted like he was in his 20's. He was a lorrie driver in the UK and was planning on retiring next year to live out the rest of his life in Chiang Mai. I will trully miss him and the great conversations we used to have. It won't be the same without him.

Rest in peace Michael

I liked hugh. He Liked booze.

Booze no good in massive morn noon and night excess

Anyone remember dave rowse. died in the moat. more info from that eve would be good

More on my old pals maurice and bingo and bo and and and and and and

miss mr dootson

There is (or was) a lengthy thread on the Chiangmai Citylife forum about Dave's death and some suspicions surrounding it.

Gaz

Does anyone know what happened to Richard Sutcliffe that used to run the Lost Bookstore? First he got Pancreitis and then there was a rumor that he came down with cancer. My guess is that he is taking advantage of the free medical care in the UK, but no one seems to know for sure.

My guess is that he is taking advantage of the free medical care in the UK

Faking a cancer ? :o

I don't think that he needs to fake it, but care can be expensive in Thailand for the newer drugs..

I don't think that he needs to fake it, but care can be expensive in Thailand for the newer drugs..

Some of them also aren't available here.

Hello all,I am brand new here.

I realise that this topic, is mostly to do with those who have passed on,but I would like,if I may,to post an enquiry of my own.

My father has visited Chiang Mai many times over the last few years.He last visited in April this year,and was due to return to the UK on 14th July.No one has heard from him since mid July.

I am wondering if the name Ronald {Ronnie} Wake rings any bells with anyone?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

ID: 86   Posted (edited)

If you have more details than this such as where he was staying, you may wish to contact the British Consul in Chiang Mai.

Edited by lamphun

If you have more details than this such as where he was staying, you may wish to contact the British Consul in Chiang Mai.

I have been in touch with the Consulate,they are aware of the sitution,and will be in touch when/if they find anything out.

In the mean time,I figured that it may bear fruit making enquiries on this forum.As in my experience of other forums that I am a member of,people tend to be far more helpful and empathic in a community sense.

But,thank you all the same for your response,it is much appreciated.

Just heard that John "City Silk" Fulbrook died & that the funeral was yesterday.

John had been in Cnx for 30 years & had a store City Silk, on Thapae & for awhile one on Moon Muang where Pop is now.

He was married with a Thai wife, a 15 year old daughter.

John was 72 years when he died from a heart attack.

RIP.

Just heard that John "City Silk" Fulbrook died & that the funeral was yesterday.

John had been in Cnx for 30 years & had a store City Silk, on Thapae & for awhile one on Moon Muang where Pop is now.

He was married with a Thai wife, a 15 year old daughter.

John was 72 years when he died from a heart attack.

RIP.

Didn't know John Fulbrook, but did know "John Denmark" who also died of a heart attack a few weeks ago. Tall, loud, but very friendly, humorous chap, a regular at Darets.

On the anniversary of the demise of Brad 'trekking stick' Harper, another chum of his and I go to the Foreign Cemetery and have a drink with him, leaving his opened can near the headstone. Walking around afterwards I was pleased to see that someone had done the same for John Denmark, leaving an opened Chang with him. He had run a restaurant on one of the Danish islands, and logically became a chum of another retired Dane here, Holger, who had been a chef. Shaved head and scorpion tatoo on the back.

Interestingly, Holger died (also heart attack) just a week after John.

Well done to Lasse of La Luna Gallery who is what the Danish Embassy call the "crisis Consul" here for sorting out the necessary arrangements.

But who can rectify an error on the impessive headstone of former Marine J.B.Gross? At his best he was lively with an impish sense of humour, but he WAS born way before 1979.

ID: 90   Posted (edited)

More bad news. Have just heard from one of our sons in Australia that Oliver Fruchtenicht has been killed in a motorcycle incident in Chiang Mai. Oliver is the son of Horst Fruchtenicht (also mentioned in these pages) and Warunee and did his schooling at CMIS. He and his sister Melanie were,are close friends of our kids. A lot of you may remember Horst from the Gymkhana and around town. If anybody knows details of funeral arrangements could you please let me know as we live out of town now.

Edited by Boksida

O NO! Are you sure about Oliver? O no, what horrid horrid shame. I thought Horst was lovely, grumy and scrowly, but such a kind big bear, and now Oliver. So sad.

O NO! Are you sure about Oliver? O no, what horrid horrid shame. I thought Horst was lovely, grumy and scrowly, but such a kind big bear, and now Oliver. So sad.

Ceremonies are at Wat Phra Singh. Prayers started at 7pm last night so will probably be the same for the next few days.

Anyone have any information on the passing of Derek from UK, former denizon of True Blue and Mad Dog ?

Heard a rumor today.

Bummer. I just found out about a young musician friend of mine passing away about 4 days ago. His name was Rick, and he came from the very exotic Faroe Islands - a tiny little place that's out in the middle of nowhere between Iceland, Scotland, and Norway. We had had many chats about his unique language and the history of where he came from. He was only 30 years old,... and it seems a medical condition was what got him. He was cool bass player too, and had a business and tgf here in CM.... A shame. I just got word of a memorial for him, but rather than post it here, I'd ask that anybody that knew him and is interested in coming just send me a PM. The memorial will be this Thurs night, the 24th.

Bummer. I just found out about a young musician friend of mine passing away about 4 days ago. His name was Rick, and he came from the very exotic Faroe Islands - a tiny little place that's out in the middle of nowhere between Iceland, Scotland, and Norway. We had had many chats about his unique language and the history of where he came from. He was only 30 years old,... and it seems a medical condition was what got him. He was cool bass player too, and had a business and tgf here in CM.... A shame. I just got word of a memorial for him, but rather than post it here, I'd ask that anybody that knew him and is interested in coming just send me a PM. The memorial will be this Thurs night, the 24th.

I'm sorry to hear that, RTD.

May he rest in peace.

McG

Anyone have any information on the passing of Derek from UK, former denizon of True Blue and Mad Dog ?

Heard a rumor today.

Sorry, can't help re Derek. Any more clues?

However, I feel it a duty to report the sad demise a few days ago of another Domino/True Blue regular.

His calling card was headed with his self-chosen nickname 'Gador', as in 'alligador' and was surmounted by the Stars & Stripes and the logo of the VFW of which he was a justifiably proud member.

His 'real' name was William Arnold Jnr and, with his Thai wife Suree, he enjoyed a happy retirement in Sanpatong and later Hang Dong, surrounded by many friends of many nations.

Gador succumbed at McCormick Hospital, aged 65, after several weeks excellent care following a stroke. The funeral was held at the central Hang Dong temple on October 23rd. The American flag, brought specially from the US Embassy Bangkok, draped the coffin prior to cremation nearby, and in addition to a farewell salute by fellow VFW members, 'Taps' sounded out followed by some of Gador's favourite country & western songs.

By request, Gador's ashes will be scattered in the Mekong River at Nong Khai, the home town of his beloved Suree.

This was a REAL member of Special Forces, who distinguished himself in peace by NOT speaking of his previous exploits. An extremely friendly, open handed man, Gador left us only days before the announcement of the successful formalisation of a Chiang Mai post of the VFW.

It is fitting that, very soon, on November 11th, after the traditional 10.45am Remembrance Day gathering at the Foreign Cemetery, Chiang Mai, and respects paid by Seri ('Free') Thai, the US Veterans' Day gathering will be held and many thoughts will be with him.

Afterwards, 'more than a few' of your favourite margaritas will be consumed at Gymkhana Club, my friend.

Sorry to hear about Gador, he always had a word or two to say when he arrived at the True Blue. Good man, will be missed. Condolenses to Suree

Rick (or Rogvi) was a good chap. I worked with him at Citylife when he first came over to Thailand about 3 or 4 years ago. One year we went down to Hua Hin to play in the elephant polo shindig and I don't think I've ever seen a guy enjoy himself more. Infectious enthusiasm. RIP.

It's my understanding that Alex died in Vietnam where he was working on argriculture-related stuff. It was some type of virus that killed him, perhaps a type of bird flu.

Yes, Alex died in Vietnam of a Hanta virus.

ID: 100   Posted (edited)

Sorry, but I couldn't locate the deaths in Chiang Mai thread.

Jon Gluck was around Chiang Mai for about 20 years and we always called him "Jon the Watch Smuggler". He had a wild life as a junky on the streets of New York as a young lad, later he went back to school at a prestigious University and even later he worked on shrimp boats in Alaska and then he came here and sold watches and Buddhas in Thailand.

I remember that he fell in love with his wife straight-away when he first got here and it took him a few years to convince her to trust him, but he finally won her and he was good to her and loved her to the end.

RIP Jon.

By the way, Jon was around 60 years old and he smoked like a chimney!

Edited by Ulysses G.