Tywais

Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

1,082 posts in this topic

Think I could have done my re-entry there and then, but my papers were not ready.

If you received your retirement extension, what "papers" were not ready?

Needed for re-entry permit:

• Passport with a valid Thai visa/extension
  • Copies of the photo page, current visa page, and immigration departure card
  • Copy of extension stamp page
  • Re-entry permit application (form TM 8)
  • One 4x6cm passport photo
  • 1,000 baht for single re-entry permit; 3,800 baht for multiple re-entry permit

Trujillo - didn't have the photocopies or photos, as it was already after 4pm and I had had enough for the day I went home. If I had picked up my passport at 2pm there would have been no problem doing the re-entry the same day.

1 person likes this

I believe there is a photo and photocopy shop just adjacent to immigration. I think they are open past 4pm. For future ref.

And since there are no hand-out numbers for re-entries, in theory you should be able to just saddle up and get it done before closing time -- it takes literally 3 minutes to process (or it did for me).

took hours longer then airport office ever did for an extension.
could be increased demand over a year ago, not sure.

there is a free shuttle there and back which was a plus.
whole procedure felt very sterile with some moron trying to pronounce names on the loudspeaker continually. i prefer the old airport office.

1 person likes this

I arrived at Promenada Immigration at 0815 hours. When I saw the amount of people standing in line, I thought they were giving something away. It was obvious, I wouldn't be able to receive a queue so rather than leaving to try again, I used GT4. This is the first time I have had to use a visa service. They charged me 3500 for the one year extension and multi-entry.

It is unbelievable, one has to pay these people to get inside immigration. GT4 is a very lucrative business.

If immigration is still being run like this next year, I'll hire a professional visa service to assist me in getting the one year visa extension and multi-entry.

2 people like this

I arrived at Promenada Immigration at 0815 hours. When I saw the amount of people standing in line, I thought they were giving something away. It was obvious, I wouldn't be able to receive a queue so rather than leaving to try again, I used GT4. This is the first time I have had to use a visa service. They charged me 3500 for the one year extension and multi-entry.

It is unbelievable, one has to pay these people to get inside immigration. GT4 is a very lucrative business.

If immigration is still being run like this next year, I'll hire a professional visa service to assist me in getting the one year visa extension and multi-entry.

You probably would have received a queue number for a retirement extension. They don't start to hand out the queue tickets until after 8:30 am and checking everyone's paperwork around 9 am. Of course, you wouldn't have been seen until the afternoon. Doing what you did was the expedient way, but if you'd just be patient for another 45 minutes you could have saved yourself some money. Recent reports are that everyone in the retirement extension queue is receiving a queue ticket.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong -- just pointing out that your situation wasn't hopeless.

2 people like this

I have a newbie question, I do not live in TH yet.

For 90 day reporting do you receive notification (email/mail) of when you have to report, or do you just turn up on a date of your choosing prior to expiry date?

Or do they give you a specific date to return each time your reporting paperwork is processed?

Basically how do you know when to go?

I have a newbie question, I do not live in TH yet.

For 90 day reporting do you receive notification (email/mail) of when you have to report, or do you just turn up on a date of your choosing prior to expiry date?

Or do they give you a specific date to return each time your reporting paperwork is processed?

Basically how do you know when to go?

Details for reporting can be found here - 90 Day Report - Procedures

For reporting in person you can do it 15 days before to 7 days after expiration. You will receive a receipt that has your next reporting date on it.

You have been very wrongly informed. You did not have to pay those people that kind of money there are several others willing to do it for you at a lot higher cost. I would not recommend Star visa as they seem to cater more to Thai's looking for Visa to other countries. A friend of mine used them for his first year one and says he was unhappy with the service and the cost. I used them to get a visa for my wife and when I asked them about a single reentry for me they gave me the run around. Besides that they wanted 1,000 baht. I did it myself took about half an hour.

For single re-entries, why don't you just get them at the airport before flying out?

2 people like this

Recent reports are that everyone in the retirement extension queue is receiving a queue ticket.

EXCEPT ME!

hit-the-fan.gif

1 person likes this

For reporting in person you can do it 15 days before to 7 days after expiration. You will receive a receipt that has your next reporting date on it.

Thank you Tywais

1 person likes this

ID: 88   Posted (edited)

You probably would have received a queue number for a retirement extension. They don't start to hand out the queue tickets until after 8:30 am and checking everyone's paperwork around 9 am. Of course, you wouldn't have been seen until the afternoon. Doing what you did was the expedient way, but if you'd just be patient for another 45 minutes you could have saved yourself some money. Recent reports are that everyone in the retirement extension queue is receiving a queue ticket.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong -- just pointing out that your situation wasn't hopeless.

I certainly appreciate your optimism, but there was no way immigration would have handed out queues to that many people. They even stopped handing out 90 day queues that morning. The reason I used GT4 was so I wouldn't have to return home and go through the same nonsense the following day.

Chiang Mai Immigration is woefully unprepared to accommodate the amount of people who they require to report to their office daily, unless you either pay or show up at immigration at some ridiculous hour in the morning.

If immigration continues to refuse to re-instate the online queue system, I will simply hire one of the professional visa services (not GT4) next year to obtain my one year visa extension and multi-entry stamp.

I'm not certain if this is true or not but I have heard rumours, immigration may even discontinue the 90 day reporting by mail. The 90 day reporting has to be one of immigrations more nonsensical requirements.

Edited by CMNightRider

Actually it's not rocket science. There are some 6000 Farangs in Chiang Mai IIRC, the numbers were posted a while ago. Given about 220 working days a year, divided by 4, this makes about 100 persons a day. Half of which probably report online, by mail or just fly out.

So it's 50 reports a day they need to handle. In 8h this makes one report every 10 mins.

If the online booking for "retirement" visa is not available or working effectively when our renewal is due in 9 months time we will use G4T as they are cheaper, quicker and conveniently located for the reasons everyone probably know by now.

If G4T are still in business at that time then we can assume that ptb, nationwide and locally, have accepted the situation for one reason or another and that the cash cow is going nowhere.

As we are not confident of a solution at Ch Imm in the forseeable future we have started saving. 🤓

1 person likes this

ID: 91   Posted (edited)

Actually it's not rocket science. There are some 6000 Farangs in Chiang Mai IIRC, the numbers were posted a while ago. Given about 220 working days a year, divided by 4, this makes about 100 persons a day. Half of which probably report online, by mail or just fly out.

So it's 50 reports a day they need to handle. In 8h this makes one report every 10 mins.

Can you clarify your statement. We already know from previous posts that there have been as many as 180 queue cards given in one day and people told to come back tomorrow.

Nancy had reported that their was 5,250 reported retirement extensions in 2014. She had received those figures when Immigration was talking to her. I have no doubt what so ever that 2015 had more but 750 seems a bit high to me.

Also these people have to check in every 90 days not just once a year, In addition to these people I believe there are other type of visas that require a 90 day check in. Not sure on that. Still your numbers do not work out. Every 90 days works out to one day under 13 weeks which only leaves 65 working days to report in. Also to figure in and I have no way of knowing is the fact that many of them report early and wind up some place down the line making 5 reports in 360 days. As you say there are mail in's and on line that we don't have any figures on, But the fact remains that there are well over 50 a day checking in. I can remember at the airport going in shortly after lunch and getting numbers in the 60s to the 70s.

Edit

Just want to say it is a stupid thing reporting in every 90 days when you are a permanent resident.

But then we all know that.

Edited by northernjohn
1 person likes this

Yes, I had the numbers from Nancy in mind. Most are obviously retirees as you can see at the long queues at Promenada. Add some more marriage and other Os and you arrive at the number I estimated. Even if it would be double than that, 12000 farangs, it would still make one report in 5 mins. That is already divided by 4.

Yes, I had the numbers from Nancy in mind. Most are obviously retirees as you can see at the long queues at Promenada. Add some more marriage and other Os and you arrive at the number I estimated. Even if it would be double than that, 12000 farangs, it would still make one report in 5 mins. That is already divided by 4.

We can not be exact with the math but the fact is they are still getting as high as 180 queue numbers handed out.

Let us say that it averages out to 120 a day. That would be one every 4 minutes. That would still leave the mail in and the lucky to get through on line filing.

Let us not even try to pretend that the 120 a day are ready when they get to the officers desk many times I have witnessed them having to help them. Also what about the agents with more than one. Last time I was there they had to take one lady to another desk leaving just the one and as you know they have the next person in line sitting next to the one they are dealing with. The lady next to me got hers done no problem and then brought out another one. Which also was no problem.

Bottom line is there is a heck of a lot more people than the retiree's filing every 60 days. Do the work permits have to file? How about the ones with educational visa's do they have to file every 90 days. The subject is a useless one as we only have one number and the number of walk ins can not be done in that time frame. It would be interesting to know how many different Visas have to do a 90 day but I am not going to wade through the immigration laws to find it. I will just work with what we have which is a whole bunch of guesses and not worth the time.

It's not just people with one-year retirement extensions who have to file 90 day reports. Also, one-year marriage, volunteer, business, dependent, etc, etc extensions. I don't have the numbers, but I'd estimate that retirement extensions are a small part of the total long-term extensions.

NorthernJohn's right. At this time they're distributing 180 queue cards for 90 day reports at Promenada and it's not uncommon for them to run out of queue cards for the day very early in the morning.

1 person likes this

It's not just people with one-year retirement extensions who have to file 90 day reports. Also, one-year marriage, volunteer, business, dependent, etc, etc extensions. I don't have the numbers, but I'd estimate that retirement extensions are a small part of the total long-term extensions.

NorthernJohn's right. At this time they're distributing 180 queue cards for 90 day reports at Promenada and it's not uncommon for them to run out of queue cards for the day very early in the morning.

I heard the other day that the 90 day reports do 90 reports in the morning and the rest after 1 PM

I had not heard this before

So if you do not want to stay all day at Immigration

Be Early to get a number below 90

I heard the other day that the 90 day reports do 90 reports in the morning and the rest after 1 PM

No, that's not wasn't the case when I did my retirement extension on January 11th. They were still processing 90 day reports at 2:30 pm.

No, that's not wasn't the case when I did my retirement extension on January 11th. They were still processing 90 day reports at 2:30 pm.

Misunderstanding, I think.

Lizard2010 sounds to me as if he's saying they process the first ninety 90 day reports in the morning and the remaining 90 day reports after 1:00 pm., thus if you'd like to be processed in the morning you should hope for a queue number of 90 or below.

That's the way I understood Lizard2010 post also.

Misunderstanding, I think.

Lizard2010 sounds to me as if he's saying they process the first ninety 90 day reports in the morning and the remaining 90 day reports after 1:00 pm., thus if you'd like to be processed in the morning you should hope for a queue number of 90 or below.

Yes i did not specifie correctly

You worded it better than me