Scott

SURVEY: Should Marijuana be legalized?

SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand?   379 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand:

• Yes, but only for those with medical conditions for which it is suspected or known for being effective.
    • Yes, I believe it should be legalized for both medical and recreational use.
    • No, I do not believe that legalizing Marijuana is a good idea.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

189 posts in this topic

Should Marijuana be legalized in Thailand?

Not long ago, a police officer from the drug suppression unit indicate his disapproval of arresting people for marijuana use that could be considered as medically useful.   Later the Justice Ministry, in remarks to ASEAN, stated that Thailand would not be legalizing drugs.   In your opinion, do you believe Marijuana should be legalized for medical use and/or for recreational use?

Please feel free to leave a comment.   

Recent links to some stories on the issue:

Arresting people for medicinal ganja use is like arresting a mother for stealing baby milk for a hungry child police say.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939233-arresting-people-for-medicinal-ganja-use-like-arresting-a-mother-for-stealing-baby-milk-for-a-hungry-child-police-say/

Justice Minister affirms to ASEAN Thailand will not legalize drugs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939473-minister-of-justice-affirms-to-asean-thailand-will-not-legalize-drugs/

Marijuana dealer apprehended

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939563-wichit-marijuana-dealer-apprehended-bought-stash-through-facebook/

2 people like this

yes, yes and yes but Thailand, being 50 years behind most of the developed world,  it may happen in 2066

2 people like this

it is a regressive law and as the authorities around the world realize how much money they make through taxing gunga and by eliminating costs enforcing the law we see legislation changing everywhere. It will also be a boost for tourism

2 people like this

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

2 people like this

The US Government targeted weed with uber-conservative, religiously moralistic propaganda back in the day. It's right up there with ex-Soviet and N. Korea tactics to program the masses.  One after another, references and images of the devil, women are the victims under the spell, opening their blouses and revealing their udders.  

The religious wonks are obsessed with controlling women and sex.  The younger generations would laugh them out of the room if they pushed this material out now days.   Although I'm quite sure it would still play well to a certain demographic.

http://sobadsogood.com/2015/09/19/laughable-anti-marijuana-propaganda-from-1930s/

2 people like this

Damn all this talk about "MJ" makes me hungry,think I'll have a cookie :P

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, z42 said:

Utter utter nonsense, and pure baiting material. Anyways I'll have a nibble. Care to give any examples of how these millions of users have embarked on criminal careers, blighting the lives of all who they pass. I for one think its a bit of a stretch for you to do. Have a go anyways by all means pal 

Why is it nonsense. And who are these 'millions of users'. Pal.

Do you actually expect me to quote examples of criminals involved with drugs? Go and spend a morning in the public gallery of you local magistrates court or its equivalent and see for yourself.

I'm claiming most petty crime is committed to get drug money and most petty criminals have a history of drug abuse. If you challenge this claim show some statistics to the contrary.

40 minutes ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Pray tell, when did we ever live in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic?

Prohibition never works and always has unintended consequences.

The Mafia became entrenched in American life as a result of the prohibition era of 1920-33.

Many, many various mafias have become entrenched in British life because of the money to be made in drug traficking and dealing!

It could not get much worse if it was prohibited or not. Any British youngster worth his salt can get hold of drugs within an hour or two if needs be.

The Volstead Act has nothing to do with it.

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

Alcohol is legal.. and 10x worse than weed. You got alcohol checks you can check for weed and so on too. Just because things can be misused does not mean you have to ban it you have to go after the misuse.

If weed surplaces alcohol we would have a far less violent society. The only thing weed users attack is a pizza unlike alcohol users who tend to be violent. 

I've never understood the reasons why weed is illegal while alcohol is legal (well, I have, but only in the sense of how hypocritical those reasons are). They should both be illegal or both be legal - having it the way it is does not make sense.

People will argue about prohibition of alcohol because it failed so miserably the last time, explaining how it encouraged mafia-like criminality - failing to see the parallels with weed.

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, retoohs said:

yogi100 when do you think gunga was introduced to Britain? Last century? The century before? When did this downward spiral start you talk about?

Gunga Din was a poem written by Rudyard Kipling in 1892.

The use of marijuana was mainly first seen in the 1960s to a limited degree then the 70s and 80s saw the widespread appearance of marijuana in the UK. It was introduced by West Indians.

It's always existed but In the 1950s no one I knew had even heard of it, neither had you heard of ganga or 'gunga' if that's what you meant.