JimmyJ

Similar city as alternative to Chang Mai to avoid air problems?

83 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, puukao said:

the pollution will shorten your life, that is a 99% certainty unless you have some bad luck....

but you will save 100 baht!!!  

people are healthier in mild climates with good air...... go figure!!

but here you can meet your wife in 11-minutes and she really love you!!!!  

🙄

4 hours ago, puukao said:

the pollution will shorten your life, that is a 99% certainty unless you have some bad luck....

but you will save 100 baht!!!  

people are healthier in mild climates with good air...... go figure!!

Yes, that's certainly true....assuming you exercise regularly, don't eat fatty or fried foods, eat your vegetables, avoid sweets, don't smoke, don't drink in excess, don't get stressed out, wear sun protection, get your flu shots, drink lots of water, watch your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, take your vitamins, etc., etc.  Oh nevermind. 

1 person likes this

C'mon mom.  You don't have to do everything in order to benefit from some things. 

ID: 56   Posted (edited)

On 11/9/2016 at 6:45 AM, daveAustin said:

Escaping the Don are we? :tongue:

Lived there for many years. Outside the smokey season, it is no worse than any big city in Thailand. CRai has the same smoke problem at the same time, just quieter. Have a look at Loei

" Have a look at Loei"

Does Loei have the smoke problem as well?

Edited by JimmyJ

The smog problem is not just particularly in CM and CR or generally Thailand. It's the entire South East Asian countries. Personally i feel it's worse south when the Indonesian farmers burn fields bigger than some towns. Cities like SG and KL got hit so bad that it becomes a health hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Loei does get smoke, but the levels are nothing like the upper north. I live one province away from it and was once driving through Loei during the burning season, curious what it would be like. The haze was noticeable. I asked a local about it and they said it was the mist in the air this time of year. I can clearly know the difference between mist and smog unlike this person so it's important to get your information from a reliable source. The other thing about Loei is the city is night and day compared to Chiang Mai. Loei will seem barren compared to what you can find and do in Chiang Mai. Loei is known as the province with the coolest weather. Just note you need to be at high altitudes within Loei to get this cool weather.

Online you can look at current air quality index (AQI) levels all over Thailand and look through historic data for just about anywhere. Just remember that to be within international standards an AQI below 50 is good, above can be harmful to health. Don't let the Thai government sites fool you into believing 100 is quite ok.

I concur with others Kanchanaburi seems a decent choice to throw in the mix.

ID: 59   Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, canopy said:

Online you can look at current air quality index (AQI) levels all over Thailand and look through historic data for just about anywhere. Just remember that to be within international standards an AQI below 50 is good, above can be harmful to health. Don't let the Thai government sites fool you into believing 100 is quite ok.

Nowhere in South East Asia is below 50 the whole year, or even any significant part of the year. 

Do you know how many months in Chiang Mai are below 50?   One. 

And as an aside, do you know how many months in Phuket are below 50?  Also one.  (In a good year, last year Phuket didn't have a month below 50.  Chiang Mai had one. (June))

People need to have realistic expectations, otherwise Asia may just not be a good fit for them.

I suggest a Fjord, with your nose in the Atlantic breeze. Or coastal Australia.  Everywhere else, forget it.

Capture.JPG

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
2 people like this

I liked Yachats, Oregon when i lived nearby. I mean the closet road was 5000 km away, to the west, so the air was pretty good.  Lots of cloud and foggy/rain during the cold winter so  some wood smoke but that too was blown away towards the east.

18 hours ago, jobin said:

I liked Yachats, Oregon when i lived nearby. I mean the closet road was 5000 km away, to the west, so the air was pretty good.  Lots of cloud and foggy/rain during the cold winter so  some wood smoke but that too was blown away towards the east.

5,000 km? I don't think so.

I said Jomtien earlier but want to say the best air and beaches are further south. Live in anywhere south of the Ambassador Hotel...Bang Amphur to Rayong Marriott. I'm moving soon. Jomtien is ruined with speedboats and tractors and Russians. The water south is beautiful green and clear. Jomtien has turned black almost...never go in anymore or get a rental like Acqua with 3 pools. The air is perfect and heat tolerable all year near beach. South Pattaya seafood is the best.

11 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

I said Jomtien earlier but want to say the best air and beaches are further south. Live in anywhere south of the Ambassador Hotel...Bang Amphur to Rayong Marriott. I'm moving soon. Jomtien is ruined with speedboats and tractors and Russians. The water south is beautiful green and clear. Jomtien has turned black almost...never go in anymore or get a rental like Acqua with 3 pools. The air is perfect and heat tolerable all year near beach. South Pattaya seafood is the best.

58ce8d6148000_soi383.thumb.jpg.842707b0f5d66fca51ebdc8a52629499.jpgWant a beach all to yourself in Pattaya? With clean water and views. And some private nooks. Stop complaining about Pattaya and Jomtien, explore Bang Amphur and Soi 38. The secret beach is Soi 38 in Na Jomtien after the Bang Amphur beach and Tony's fitness. Do not drive a car down to the sand. Only motorbikes. If you take a car or songthaew, go down Soi 38 until at the bottom there is a sharp right turn a block from the beach. Find parking before the turn and walk. Songthaew can turn by backing up. Great Mexican restaurant half way down Soi 38. Great hotel Baan Hinwong for the night or weekend on Soi 38. Next to Silverlake Winery road and temples. Bring food. Lady vendor sells water, beer, mango.

soi 38 4.jpg

soi 38 2.jpg

soi38 1.jpg

11 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

58ce8d6148000_soi383.thumb.jpg.842707b0f5d66fca51ebdc8a52629499.jpgWant a beach all to yourself in Pattaya? With clean water and views. And some private nooks. Stop complaining about Pattaya and Jomtien, explore Bang Amphur and Soi 38. The secret beach is Soi 38 in Na Jomtien after the Bang Amphur beach and Tony's fitness. Do not drive a car down to the sand. Only motorbikes. If you take a car or songthaew, go down Soi 38 until at the bottom there is a sharp right turn a block from the beach. Find parking before the turn and walk. Songthaew can turn by backing up. Great Mexican restaurant half way down Soi 38. Great hotel Baan Hinwong for the night or weekend on Soi 38. Next to Silverlake Winery road and temples. Bring food. Lady vendor sells waIMG_1519.jpg.77a5adb7b234ca5b5afa33a3c9ad05ba.jpgter, beer, mango.

Regarding Chiang Mai. If you can see my hospital photo, that's what will happen to you in smokey season if you have lung problems like me. Two times in the hospital near death. Lucky had a good UCLA doctor.

Some helpful tips and the usual "nothing to offer but a sarcastic comment", but you might find this link useful.

http://aqicn.org/map/

Real time air pollution figures from around Asia.

15 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

Is that an outboard motor on the stern of your kayak?

Yes. From Blue Seas Shop in Ocean Marina. 2.5 Suzuki on Hobie Miŕage Adventure. Great boat.

1489966875947.jpg1489966936219.jpg1489966970929.jpg

Medellin, Colombia.

It's what Chiang Mai dreams of being, minus hordes of Chinese and horrible pollution.

A lot more visa friendly too.

6 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Medellin, Colombia.

It's what Chiang Mai dreams of being, minus hordes of Chinese and horrible pollution.

How does cost of living compare?

On 1/7/2017 at 7:55 PM, Shoeless Joe said:

Northampton??

They even have a lighthouse??

before we never had them burning the rain-forests 

to plant palm oil trees

to cook big macs and KFC and coffee for star fluks

57 minutes ago, opalred said:

to plant palm oil trees

to cook big macs and KFC and coffee for star fluks

Sure.  What other reason could there be? :shock1:

ID: 74   Posted (edited)

Cuenca Ecuador?

https://www.cuencahighlife.com/modern-infrastructure-culture-and-convenience-attract-foreigners-to-cuenca-sense-of-optimism-is-also-a-draw/

Last time I checked long term visas for Colombia are certainly not easier than Thailand. 

Ecuador easier than Columbia.

For both there would be a very major hassle of providing time sensitive police record reports from Thailand if you've been living here, translated and apostled. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 hours ago, dcnx said:

Medellin, Colombia.

Your opinion, of course.  I assume you're in Medellin...which makes us wonder why you wouldn't be posting on ColombianVisa. 

There are reasons why expats aren't flooding to South America.