JimmyJ

Similar city as alternative to Chang Mai to avoid air problems?

83 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Your opinion, of course.  I assume you're in Medellin...which makes us wonder why you wouldn't be posting on ColombianVisa. 

There are reasons why expats aren't flooding to South America.

What are some of them?

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Your opinion, of course.  I assume you're in Medellin...which makes us wonder why you wouldn't be posting on ColombianVisa. 

There are reasons why expats aren't flooding to South America.

I'm in Chiang Mai. Probably will return to Colombia within in next year or two if things work out. I enjoy Thailand and have been here for a while but the pollution, terror on the roads, and the fact that it's moving backwards and not forwards, is enough for me to not want to grow old here. I'm in my early 40s, so the thought of living here for 30 or 40 more years sounds like a nightmare. Immigration check-in every 90 days for the next couple of decades, no thanks.  

Expats don't leave Thailand for many reasons, geographical location of another place isn't generally one of them. Being stuck, having a limited budget, having a Thai family, or just too lazy to move, are a few. I fall into the lazy category. Such a move is a big ordeal, especially with a business here. Otherwise, I would have gone back a long time ago.

There is quite a large expat community in both Colombia and Ecuador. Cost of living is just like here, it depends on your lifestyle. You can do it cheap or live lavishly. Visas... there are options and work arounds for long term stays, just like here. 

If you're an anti-social drunk, prefer sitting in a beer bar all day, or simply enjoy the chaos of Asia, I don't recommend the move. Thailand is perfect for those types. But normal gents would find it quite nice and a change of pace after being here for a while. A better place to have a family perhaps, and for sure better schools, safer roads, and cleaner air. If that stuff is important to you. But like you said, this is just my opinion. Those things matter to me more now than ever. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

I'm in Chiang Mai. Probably will return to Colombia within in next year or two if things work out. I enjoy Thailand and have been here for a while but the pollution, terror on the roads, and the fact that it's moving backwards and not forwards, is enough for me to not want to grow old here. I'm in my early 40s, so the thought of living here for 30 or 40 more years sounds like a nightmare. Immigration check-in every 90 days for the next couple of decades, no thanks.  

Expats don't leave Thailand for many reasons, geographical location of another place isn't generally one of them. Being stuck, having a limited budget, having a Thai family, or just too lazy to move, are a few. I fall into the lazy category. Such a move is a big ordeal, especially with a business here. Otherwise, I would have gone back a long time ago.

There is quite a large expat community in both Colombia and Ecuador. Cost of living is just like here, it depends on your lifestyle. You can do it cheap or live lavishly. Visas... there are options and work arounds for long term stays, just like here. 

If you're an anti-social drunk, prefer sitting in a beer bar all day, or simply enjoy the chaos of Asia, I don't recommend the move. Thailand is perfect for those types. But normal gents would find it quite nice and a change of pace after being here for a while. A better place to have a family perhaps, and for sure better schools, safer roads, and cleaner air. If that stuff is important to you. But like you said, this is just my opinion. Those things matter to me more now than ever. 

Fair enough.  Although I realize Colombia is not the same as say Brazil or Venezuela, Latin America in general just seems a tad more dangerous than Asia. 

As far as Thailand, your description may fit Pattaya more so than Chiang Mai.  One can raise a family in a place like Chiang Mai quite well....although it's getting more and more congested each year.  And yeah, the crappy air does wear on you. 

Chiengmai....my living in town was relatively short term for a year or two,  mostly in Chieng Dao for more  than  25 years intermittent years . There was a  time in CM when we would sit and 'watch' traffic go by in Chiengmai and if a white woman walked by,  we would wonder if she was a missionary.  Chiengmai traffic to Mae Rim was a car race even back then, now the race course extends to MaeTaeng. It certainly is not getting better. I am now worried to survive a ride from Chieng Dao to Chiengmai. You folks seem to be worried about smoke and ignore car traffic/ pollution and tobacco and death on the highways. Chiengmai is not a pleasant place to retire in , or be 25 years old in.....except for  few weeks.  ;-).  There are many small Thai cities where people are most pleasant , especially if you learn a dozen Thai phrases to start with. Sure there is agribusiness  burning fields..............but, also just folks who need to replant and harvest the mountain's natural bounty. 'Old world' Thailand does still exist....you just need  to be smart enough to appreciate it when you find it.  It is there and it needn't change.

...Ken ( formally a Teak Wallah)

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What are some of them?

There's the standard grinding poverty, endemic corruption, substandard infrastructure, lack of medical services, crime, etc.  But for most, it's probably more about the personal safety.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Teak said:

There was a  time in CM when we would sit and 'watch' traffic go by in Chiengmai

There was a time when this was called the Chiangmai forum. A few years ago it was changed to Chiang Mai forum.  I don't think it was ever called Chiengmai forum but what do we know. 

Showing results for chiang mai
Search instead for chiengmai

On 21/03/2017 at 1:00 AM, dcnx said:

Speaking of Columbia:

On 3/22/2017 at 0:16 AM, amexpat said:

There was a time when this was called the Chiangmai forum. A few years ago it was changed to Chiang Mai forum.  I don't think it was ever called Chiengmai forum but what do we know. 

Showing results for chiang mai
Search instead for chiengmai

When I first got here in 1911, Chiengmai was the most common spelling.   Chiengmai Gymkhana is still called that. 

1 person likes this