webfact

Immigration police stepping up checks on foreigners in Hua Hin and Cha Am

123 posts in this topic

To the people who are unprepared to invest 3 million baht in a reputable bank this country  to retire here & make this their home I say, "You want the chicken & the egg".

Maybe you should just go home

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

So they go to the computer and generate a list of where the foreigners live.

They should be able to see that their visas are up to date and a valid TM30 is on file with immigration so they then decide to visit the address, to check what ?

They already know the foreigner has complied with all the regulations based on their computer records.

Or perhaps they're only visiting foreigners who they know have not complied with all the rules, like those who don't have a TM30 against their record in the immigration databases - that would make more sense.

Com.. poo.. tar? 

I thought they carved the immigration records into stone tablets here?

10 hours ago, bubba1 said:

A foreigner doesn't file a TM30 against themselves do they? 

The Thai owner of the dwelling must do this not the resident/guest staying there.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Psychic said:

HH Immigration seems to have went off the deep end.

Posted in another thread...last extension brought all the paperwork they already had on file plus the photos around the house of me and the wife together. Got told they'd be visiting.

2 ladies show up and take more photos with us.

I said this seemed kind of pointless..shrug from them.

They weren't happy about it either.

That office also made me go to Chaeng Wattana to get my certified letter of income from the Canadian Embassy stamped.

Something about people faking letters, but then you'd think it would be a national policy.

Apparently the house visits apply to everybody. I was hoping the Tha Yang office for Petchaburi would revert to some sort of sanity but it sounds like they're doing the same.

ive never  received a house  visit from Hua  Hin, told too far away (30km)

A post containing irrelevant assumptions as to where a member is posting from has been removed.  The inflammatory replies about that post have been removed.  

Other off topic posts have been removed. 

ID: 85   Posted (edited)

On 11/23/2016 at 4:53 PM, ukrules said:

So they go to the computer and generate a list of where the foreigners live.

They should be able to see that their visas are up to date and a valid TM30 is on file with immigration so they then decide to visit the address, to check what ?

They already know the foreigner has complied with all the regulations based on their computer records.

Or perhaps they're only visiting foreigners who they know have not complied with all the rules, like those who don't have a TM30 against their record in the immigration databases - that would make more sense.

Hopefully your last paragraph is correct.  But TIT.

Edited by The Deerhunter

I am amazed they changed the rules again , having just spent almost 4,5 million baht on a condo and building a house on leased land ,on top of the house I have in Phuket which I am, selling now for 7 million , my pension is 43,000baht  a month and I make the rest up from money in the bank to just cover my visa requirements. my questions are is this visa going to replace the current 1 year retirement visa ? And why cant they take into account Property owned such as condos or company assets  as part or this 3 million requirement ? What will happen to people who have invested in condos for there retirements . and don't make a 100,000 a month ,  have wife's or long term girlfriends they are living with ? We are not all criminals some of us help Thai families , that we are involved with to improve there lives, I would class myself as one of those people .

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Psychic said:

HH Immigration seems to have went off the deep end.

Posted in another thread...last extension brought all the paperwork they already had on file plus the photos around the house of me and the wife together. Got told they'd be visiting.

2 ladies show up and take more photos with us.

I said this seemed kind of pointless..shrug from them.

They weren't happy about it either.

That office also made me go to Chaeng Wattana to get my certified letter of income from the Canadian Embassy stamped.

Something about people faking letters, but then you'd think it would be a national policy.

Apparently the house visits apply to everybody. I was hoping the Tha Yang office for Petchaburi would revert to some sort of sanity but it sounds like they're doing the same.

Strange, my neighbour (a round 12 extensions, 6 from HH) and I both got visits.

We are both around 30kms from HH Immigration.

The 2 ladies clearly weren't pleased.

I actually felt bad for them, gave them a bite to eat since they had to go back to the office after the visit.

Not their fault that some high ranking  official wants to waste time on this nonsense.

ID: 88   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, shan777 said:

I am amazed they changed the rules again , having just spent almost 4,5 million baht on a condo and building a house on leased land ,on top of the house I have in Phuket which I am, selling now for 7 million , my pension is 43,000baht  a month and I make the rest up from money in the bank to just cover my visa requirements. my questions are is this visa going to replace the current 1 year retirement visa ? And why cant they take into account Property owned such as condos or company assets  as part or this 3 million requirement ? What will happen to people who have invested in condos for there retirements . and don't make a 100,000 a month ,  have wife's or long term girlfriends they are living with ? We are not all criminals some of us help Thai families , that we are involved with to improve there lives, I would class myself as one of those people .

Yes, it makes no sense that they don't take the funds you've already sunk into the country into consideration.

My house and car alone represent far more than the 3M.

To me that's already a big leap of faith since they seem to cling to the idea that I am just some kind of unwelcome visitor instead of a person who wants to spend their life here supporting a family.

I could put the 3M into a bank but I much prefer to have in my home country generating 10% a year and using that income to justify my continued acceptance here.

At least that way I know that if they ever decide they just don't want me I will still be able to access my savings.

Their policies seem to be counter-productive to me.

All of these financial requirements seem to be a way to try and draw foreign currency into the system. And yet, if they'd offer foreigners  some level of security I think they'd  end up with a lot more money here.

I'm small fry but I have several friends who intend to live their lives here who are multimillionaires in US dollars.

They bring enough funds into the country to support a good lifestyle but the bulk remains abroad because ,as they are fond of saying on TVF, they are only comfortable bringing enough that they can walk away from without being devastated.

I think it reflects badly on the policies in place. No matter how long you stay here, even with this new visa where you place a substantial amount of money in a Thai bank you still have to report every 90 days like a criminal on probation.

I've made the decision to spend the rest of my days here and the family I love lives here. So I actually care about the future of Thailand.

The whole ex-pat thing is a small piece of the economic pie but I think it is symptomatic of an attitude that somehow Thailand is in some way superior and can survive alone in a global economy.

I'm not sure if this is the traditional elites attempting to hold on to their traditional position but, if it is, they need to realise the world is changing.

Thailand isn't the single most important outpost of economic investment in SE Asia anymore. 

Tourism has been a big part of their economy but other countries are building an infrastructure to compete.

And as all that happens the Thai government needs to change their perspective.

Edited by Psychic
1 person likes this

14 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We fill out a TM28 for ourselves.

Also, Wife and I went to H.H. Immigration yesterday to do my first one year extension. I was told they would visit in the next three or four days to take pictures of my Wife and I. Guess that is normal for first time though.

They said that to me too , lived there six years nobody ever showed up.

Still, can't beat the crack staff at Ministry of Agriculture,  the wanted to implant tracking chips in fighting cocks.. ouch how painful...5555

1 person likes this

" making visits to foreign owned businesses in the area. " ??

I guess I will just leave a few of my possessions with my relatives,  and only

be a traveler or visitor to Thailand. I will Not be an expat that jumps through

the hoops that they have to just to stay another year is LOS.  It seems that

Thailand TOT, or TAT  or the government in power will never really modernize,

too bad and really sad about that..

Geezer

1 person likes this

"...to ensure that they are only working at the address listed on their work permit ..."

I wonder how some language centers in Thailand are ever going to get teachers in future, or how Thais can have the bare-faced cheek to ask a foreigner to teach them English privately so their "brothers & sisters" can stab him in the back with a knock on the door about work permits.

1 person likes this

Well, when an older retiree has a monthly income of 100,000 Baht that's acceptable. But he will have some problems with the health insurance when older than 72. Another source of income for agents! (issuing insurance policies)

Munotlaw

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, Tiffer said:

I'm torn between tracker chips and ankle monitors...

I'd rather a chip.  Those things you mentioned would clash with my outfits. :shock1: :wai:

On 24/11/2016 at 0:46 PM, hansnl said:

Now, let me see, what else can we do to let the farang feel unwelcome?

Razzia?

Concentration camps maybe?

30-day visit to immigration instead if the 90-day nonsense?

Exactly .  The best thing I ever did is leave that joint . If Immigration followed people  around here there would be an outcry . If they have an overstay problem they should be more vigilant in allowing so many low life's into the country . 

Why anyone would put up with that BS  defies logic . 

23 hours ago, georgemandm said:

That did make me laugh 5555555555

lots of  foreigners think it is ok how the thai  immigration  treats them .

i think it is a <deleted> Joke but I get run down when I say it is a joke .

you should not have  mentioned the ankle monitors on here because if thai  immigration read it that will be next for them to do to full time  westerners .

Just asking but how does Immigration treat you in order for you to think it is a joke?  Now, I not having a go at you, just curious as to the kind of treatment others are receiving.  Touch wood, so far up here in the north east we never seem to experience anything else but courteous treatment.

Yes we have the 90 reporting, all the normal paperwork required and the come back in a month and we given you your extension of stay.  Inconvenience yes, but discourteous or a joke, I don't think so.  it's their rules and after all I elected to live here, I wasn't invited and rules are rules, even if we do not like them, we have to abide by them. :wai:

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Just asking but how does Immigration treat you in order for you to think it is a joke?  Now, I not having a go at you, just curious as to the kind of treatment others are receiving.  Touch wood, so far up here in the north east we never seem to experience anything else but courteous treatment.

Yes we have the 90 reporting, all the normal paperwork required and the come back in a month and we given you your extension of stay.  Inconvenience yes, but discourteous or a joke, I don't think so.  it's their rules and after all I elected to live here, I wasn't invited and rules are rules, even if we do not like them, we have to abide by them. :wai:

I am saying the why you are  treated it is a joke ok you not understand that .

not me ok I leave and come here and have a problem ,but my friends are  treated like criminals ok .

you could be ok but some of the  immigration offices are bad , just read the  threads .

yes there rules , but those rules are a joke and about time thailand gets with the  21st century .

wait and see with this new 10 year vias bs you will not be happy , I not care because I would never live here full time but you will .

hop you have income of 100,000 a month or you will be out of here because the visa you do now will go for sure all about them and not you .

i can see it now , you will have to spend 100,000 a month here and they will want to look in to your bank book to make sure you do , like they do now .

then you will call it a joke .

Ive always believed the visa system here has been reasonably fair whether married, working retired or even as a tourist, however after 15 years of visas, extensions, reporting Im now at the stage especially after this announcement that things will never change. Regardless of having a wife, kids and working, to obtain any kind of permanent status is an exhaustive affair. Neigbouring and worldwide most countries offer some kind of 5 or 10 year visa for retirees or married aliens with very little financial requirements and more importantly the option of working if married. Its good for Governments to protect their own workforce but why oh why cant a married or retired person obtain a long stay visa without the enormous financial requirement and the ridiculous 90 day reporting.

2 people like this