merlin2002

Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

320 posts in this topic

Not in CNX but BKK, busy with some work in Chaeng Wattana, tried a couple of times to get Uber. First thing that happens is that the app rejects credit card payment and defaults to cash, then a driver needs 20 mins to come which is getting rather 40 mins with moving arrival times. One guy called, did not understand the map nor speak english, just canceled and falling back to waive one on the street. Uber is for people who don't know where they are and where they want to go.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite often, more often than not red cars will not accept 20 baht for a fare , Tapae gate to the bus station and they usually ask for 100 Baht , although , if you ask enough of them, you can get it for 50 Baht .

As you know, when they go off route, it becomes a different deal. And even at 100 baht, [$3 US] - it really does not sound expensive to me... but obscene? 

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite often, more often than not red cars will not accept 20 baht for a fare , Tapae gate to the bus station and they usually ask for 100 Baht , although , if you ask enough of them, you can get it for 50 Baht .

Don't ask them how much it is or they'll assume you want a private hire. Tell the driver where you want to go, if he nods get in and give him 20B when you get out. 

2 people like this

WE used GRAB taxi regulary when we lived in BKK. Fantastic. Prior to GRAB's arrival we had to go through the hassle of negotiating off meter prices all the time - and had to get a moto taxi to the end of our soi as taxis rarely cam up it. After GRAB turned up we just had to plug in our details, offer a small tip to increase the drivers interest and we always got a cab to the door whenever we wanted one.  I haven't tried it yet in CM, but will do at some point.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, stament said:

Is that an app Millwall fan?  

GRAB is an app. Yes. 

21 minutes ago, bubba said:

There was another thread running about Uber in CNX, and I posted my recent experience there, so...

I just did a trip to Chiang Mai and had a very good experience using Uber. Very inexpensive to use, good cars and drivers as well. There is a flat rate of 150 baht to the airport, which I did. The driver even had a pass to take a short cut through the RTAF base and with the traffic being horrendous in Chiang Mai this weekend, that saved a lot of time. The driver was female, spoke excellent English and was a real pleasure to talk with for the journey.

A short journey from around Tapae gate to Maya cost me 53 baht. At least for me, well worth the differential from flagging down a Songthaew.

Did you pay by credit card? Is paying by cash an option or compulsory card?

Paying cash ..download and instal the Uber app first, which provided me with the opportunity to select cash as the payment method ... if u just register, not using the Uber app, then only card provided as payment method

Used Uber a number of times in last week .. very impressed and will continue to use them ... also theres been a number of trip discounts on offer, so have taken advantage off these to have a look around.

From the other thread running on Uber in Chiang Mai:

Used Uber again this weekend going from Loi Kroh to Nimman , one time 75 baht , back 60 bath.

Uber gave me a promotion that took 50 baht of from both rides , so i only had to pay 25 and 10 baht , which left the rest of the 100 baht as a tip for the excellent drivers

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/953882-we-are-a-big-hit-in-chiang-mai-–-says-uber/?page=3#comment-11384744

20 baht is an obscene price? 

Try taking a red from town to Hangdong. 3-400. Yes. That's obscene for a crap open air truck with the stupid low roofs. Friend of mine who is actually Thai local copped 400 for Nimman to Hangdong, so it's not a westerner to rip off thing.

Posted using Tapatalk
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Try taking a red from town to Hangdong. 3-400. Yes. That's obscene for a crap open air truck with the stupid low roofs. Friend of mine who is actually Thai local copped 400 for Nimman to Hangdong, so it's not a westerner to rip off thing.

Posted using Tapatalk

It is a negotiated fare... if you find the price too high for you, then don't go... if you find it a crap open air truck, then maybe you should find another way to go... if that road to Hang Dong is a massive traffic jam, then maybe it is not profitable for the driver to make that trip. If it is a breeze, I am sure you will find someone glad to do it for less. It is a competitive market. 

I just did a cost estimate with Uber from Nimman to Hang Dong and came up with 450 baht.

I reckon the extra 50 baht for an air conditioned car is worth it over the price of a songthaew.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Don't ask them how much it is or they'll assume you want a private hire. Tell the driver where you want to go, if he nods get in and give him 20B when you get out. 

Sometimes though, when I get to my destination, the driver asks for more money, say 50 Baht , so I always confirm the fare before I get in .

Sometimes its 20 Baht . 

If theres a few people its usually 20 Baht each , and if Im on my own and no one else gets picked up along the way, they usually want a bit more .

I do think that they are being fair, because some simply refuse to take me places for 20 Baht

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I couldn't agree more.

Red Buses are great during the day for short trips around town, but it all falls apart at dusk, and/or for slightly longer trips.

I don't agree. We've always managed to get a Songthaew to take us back from town to Nong Hoi after midnight. We pay them 100B. They are happy. If they take us right to the door of the condo they get a 20B tip. Far prefer Songthaew to tuk-tuks but will try Uber.

2 people like this

22 hours ago, stament said:

Did you pay by credit card? Is paying by cash an option or compulsory card?

Using a credit card for 53 THB is ridiculous.

BTW, as I mentioned here before, I never use a CC for anything in Thailand other than drawing money out from an ATM (debit card). I don't trust being scammed and having someone jack my card info.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Using a credit card for 53 THB is ridiculous.

I agree entirely but I was told by my friend that paying by cash in CM isn't an option. Paying by card also means sales are tracked etc, and no hiding from the taxman for cash heavy services such as taxis, hairdressers, etc.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, stament said:

I agree entirely but I was told by my friend that paying by cash in CM isn't an option. Paying by card also means sales are tracked etc, and no hiding from the taxman for cash heavy services such as taxis, hairdressers, etc.

For Uber, the credit card information is only with Uber...and it is not very likely that Uber will jack your card.

But then, that 53 baht Uber charge is definitely risky in alerting the tax man to initiate an audit.

ID: 47   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bubba said:

For Uber, the credit card information is only with Uber...and it is not very likely that Uber will jack your card.

But then, that 53 baht Uber charge is definitely risky in alerting the tax man to initiate an audit.

The taxman has a trail then for all journeys if paid by card and can presumably identify Uber drivers earnings. Cash taxi drivers I am sure dont declare all their earnings so lost revenue for Govt. You only need to look what is happening in India to see what I mean. Cash transactions very rarely are fully declared by all.

Thailand is a high risk country for credit card fraud too. Once info stored it can be used fraudulently by others not Uber in certain circumstances and if certain people act fraudulently.

Edited by stament

ID: 48   Posted (edited)

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, sanemax said:

For two sides of the moat I have never paid more than 20B.  never had a problem.  Costs more if I want to go off the main rout but usually pretty reasonable. North of moat to airport I usually pay 120B for a charter.  Seems pretty cheap to me.  Whet I get back to Oz it costs me 3000B for a twenty minute ride and I have to wait ages for a cab, then trick them into taking me by not telling them where I'm going until I get in the cab, otherwise they don't want to take me.  Which do you think I prefer?

I like the idea of Uber for longer trips out of CM.  never really thought of actually using Uber before.  So, I just looked them up for my airport trip in Oz - half the price of a taxi and a thirteen minute wait.  So thanks to TV posters I am now going to start a new mode of transport.

Edited by Mousehound
additional information
1 person likes this

Looking forward to bypassing the Transport Cartel for my now monthly required trips to PromenaDa'.