merlin2002

Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

320 posts in this topic

live in chiang dao but when i go cm i only use uber x now , no more tuk tuk or mafia taxi :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a stupid question, but can we use a debit card to register with Uber ?

 

Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, khunphil said:

Maybe a stupid question, but can we use a debit card to register with Uber ?

 

Phil.

 

 

According to this, you can:

 

How to register for Uber without a credit card

 

Also, I just saw this on Uber:

 

Pay for your Uber ride with cash

 

HOW DOES IT WORK?

  1. Open up the Uber app
  2. Tap the menu in the top left corner and select Payment
  3. Select ‘CASH’ as your payment option
  4. Request a ride 
  5. Confirm your pickup location and payment method
  6. *IMPORTANT* Before you get out of the car, don’t forget to pay the amount shown in the app directly to the driver in cash!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

THIS POST RELATES TO THE TAXI SERVICE 'GRAB' - NOT UBER.

 

Less impressed with it so far. Used it once to arrange a pick up from the airport to Hang Dong. Price quoted on the app was 100-150 or thereabouts. Driver responded, called me back and then told me actually it's 250. Couldn't be bothered to tell him to forget it and mess about booking again.

Can't see the point of the app telling you the price if the driver then comes back with a price almost double. If I'd had more time and wasn't dog tired I'd have cancelled him.

Unlike BKK, where I think the service works really well, there was no 'rate my service' feedback option here.

Not impressed at all.


Sent using Tapatalk

 

Edited on request of the poster.

 

Edited by KhunBENQ
On request of pos
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 56   Posted (edited)

Uber X drivers can't dictate the price, it's whatever the App says. You should have complained to Uber. They will certainly take notice because they will have received only a percentage of what the App says the charge is, not what the driver demanded and you paid. If you pull down "Your Trips" from the = menu bar then you can submit feedback any time you like

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 57   Posted (edited)

Not sure what happened there, SooKee, but the driver has no control over what Uber charges, other than running you around in circles to push the fare up. But then, you would see that on the app's GPS display while you were riding. Also, I always get the driver rating display popup in the app at the end of the trip. 

 

If you think you were overcharged, you can ask for a fare review from the app or by logging in via their website. I had one bad experience in Dubai where for some reason (possibly to run the fare up), I looked up and noticed that we were nowhere near the route to my destination. I told him to stop, got out and grabbed another Uber. I filed the fare review and was given a refund by Uber, no questions asked.

 

EDIT: the poster was in error. His post referred to "Grab".

Edited by KhunBENQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

Aiyoo - my bad!!!  Teach me to wake up before posting!!!  The experience was with Grab.  I'l see if I can get a mod to edit the above comment.  

 

I'm not sure what happened though.  Was dog tired at the time and couldn't be asked to look into it.  Route he took was direct, no messing around, same route I'd have taken.  

 

I did get the Uber receipt saying price of 250 so maybe if I can be bothered I'll try get a feedback dropdown.  I'm outta here in a couple of weeks though so I'll likely just write it off.  

Edited by SooKee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Aiyoo - my bad!!!  Teach me to wake up before posting!!!  The experience was with Grab.  I'l see if I can get a mod to edit the above comment. 

Edited as per your request.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so Uber is good now and everyone is happy?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 61   Posted (edited)

 

I just gave it a test this morning for a run to the airport.  One car.  Uber black choice only.  450 baht.  Hmmmm.  Nothing to rave about by a LONG way and not a patch on BKK, only to be expected I guess.

 

Edited by SooKee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used it last night again, from Nong Hoi to the moat, back again at about 1am.

 

80 Baht each way, less than 5 minutes wait both times.

 

Paid cash, have always paid cash, don't know anybody paying with card, I know about 5 or so people using it regulary.

 

It's an absolute game changer in Chiang Mai, it instantly removed one of the main headaches of living here.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SooKee said:

 

I just gave it a test this morning for a run to the airport.  One car.  Uber black choice only.  450 baht.  Hmmmm.  Nothing to rave about by a LONG way and not a patch on BKK, only to be expected I guess.

 

 

 

Uber Black? In Chiang Mai? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked again.  Hangdong to Night Bazaar.  450B.  Bargain (not!!!).  Regular two drivers I use around 250-300.  Same trip on Grab, with a lot more cars around 116-174 (although with my airport experience from Grab I guess that'd go up by 100 minimum by the time they called back, maybe more.  Be giving Uber and Grab pass here I think.  Might work out OK for some depending where you are I suppose.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE Uber!  It truly is a game-changer!

 

I was an Uber virgin (never used it before CM), and I was concerned the app would be difficult to use, insist on credit card info, or be expensive.

 

NOT!  (On all counts).

 

The  only downside for me is my best Thai buddy is a Tuk-Tuk driver.  We still hang out, have coffee, etc., but I don't call her for rides any more.  I think she knows why, too, but we don't talk about it (!)

 

Just today I called Uber from Worowat, laden with purchases, just too pooped to deal with a red truck.  My driver arrived in 2 minutes, got me home swiftly (in seat-belted, air conditioned splendor!).  50 baht to my place in the Old City.

 

I walk with a cane, and often need transport for even short hops around town.  I find it cheaper than tuk tuks, and not much more than using 1+  Songteaws to get me where I need to go.

 

Especially recommended for night travel, when other transport can get difficult.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just in Chiang Mai, used Uber five times. Out of those five times, two of the drivers told me that with the rates being charged, it was nearly impossible to make much if any profit at all by driving, apart from airport trips at 150 baht. Both said they were planning to give it up. Makes sense to me, as a ride across town taking 20 minutes in the horrible traffic this past week cost me about 35 baht. Added to that, they had to spend time getting to me and then driving around or waiting for the next ride. Uber takes 25% of whatever you pay, so do the math.

 

I am starting to think that unless Uber raises their rates a bit, drivers may begin to get scarce if they cannot make any money at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recall that Miss Thailand, in recent beauty contest, dressed as a lovely Tuk-Tuk and won a big prize for 'outstanding national pride and local color'.  Who could dress as a Mazda and win a prize?

And, maybe more seriously, giving credit card, phone #, etc to online operators simply opens the door to misbehaviour, and eventual sorrow, to you.  I won't do it.

Additionally, returning late at night from a long air journey to CNX and hopping an open-air tuk-tuk home is way better than some common air con car.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was in cm for christmass ; use only uber ,  and fantastic all time ,30 b trip  50 b trip what a lot of money save :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jobin said:

Recall that Miss Thailand, in recent beauty contest, dressed as a lovely Tuk-Tuk and won a big prize for 'outstanding national pride and local color'.  Who could dress as a Mazda and win a prize?

And, maybe more seriously, giving credit card, phone #, etc to online operators simply opens the door to misbehaviour, and eventual sorrow, to you.  I won't do it.

Additionally, returning late at night from a long air journey to CNX and hopping an open-air tuk-tuk home is way better than some common air con car.

 

 

 

I suppose Miss Thailand's costume and its relevance to Uber escapes me. If you prefer haggling and then paying more fare for a tuk-tuk than an air-conditioned car, then that is certainly your option; however that escapes me as well.

 

As for providing your credit card to "online operators", with that paranoia, then you will be better off not having a credit card at all. Each time you use a credit card you provide your credit card data to an online operator. With the example of Uber, only Uber have access to your credit card details and you can be sure they have adequate security since their entire business model relies on it. Besides, you can pay your Uber driver in cash if you prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thai006 said:

was in cm for christmass ; use only uber ,  and fantastic all time ,30 b trip  50 b trip what a lot of money save :P 

 

 

So with Uber's 25% cut, that means your driver earned 22.5 and 37.5 baht respectively. That is precisely why Uber drivers are complaining that they cannot make any money driving for them in Chiang Mai. Hope you left them a tip.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested it , loved it. Nong Hoi to Moat in around 40-50 thb : Honda Civic, H.Jazz, Toyota Altis, comfortable and safe. OK Drivers, I mean they are slow but safe. I paid cash, with always around 15-20thb tip ( 45thb -> 60thb) ... Still better than mini 100 THb tuk-tuk. And they don’t discuss the price, they just say EXACTLY the price (39, 42, etv).

Well satisfied customer ... speaking Thai, I can have a normal conversation. 90% of customers are foreigners, I have been told.

By the way I like the Uber app, clear ans fast.

Phil.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bubba said:

 

 

So with Uber's 25% cut, that means your driver earned 22.5 and 37.5 baht respectively. That is precisely why Uber drivers are complaining that they cannot make any money driving for them in Chiang Mai. Hope you left them a tip.

 

Supply and demand - if the drivers don't make money they won't drive, the service will collapse.

 

But, seems like it's very popular.

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bubba said:

I was just in Chiang Mai, used Uber five times. Out of those five times, two of the drivers told me that with the rates being charged, it was nearly impossible to make much if any profit at all by driving, apart from airport trips at 150 baht. Both said they were planning to give it up. Makes sense to me, as a ride across town taking 20 minutes in the horrible traffic this past week cost me about 35 baht. Added to that, they had to spend time getting to me and then driving around or waiting for the next ride. Uber takes 25% of whatever you pay, so do the math.

 

I am starting to think that unless Uber raises their rates a bit, drivers may begin to get scarce if they cannot make any money at it.

It's common for service providers in CM to complain they don't make enough money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mesquite said:

It's common for service providers in CM to complain they don't make enough money.

 

I do agree with you about that. But in this case, I am wondering whether Uber drivers make anything at all. Think about it - there is a lot of cost involved operating a car, including cost, depreciation (Uber require a late-model car), petrol, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. One driver I spoke with told me that she most often earned about 80 baht per hour, without any airport trips (150 baht flat rate). Sometimes it is zero or 20 baht, with no calls coming in. Subtract all the costs and what is left for the driver? Certainly not a decent living at near minimum wage. Housekeeping jobs at hotels probably pay much better.

 

I really like Uber as well and not just because it is so cheap; however, considering this, I have taken to at least giving the drivers a modicum of a tip. Unless Uber give them a better fare or better share of the fare, I can't imagine how long it will last, with drivers signing up, finding that they cannot earn any money and then leaving, then perhaps some new drivers coming in to have a go at it. There is a limited pool available for this. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 31 March 2017 05:40
Sponsors