John F Gill

Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

216 posts in this topic

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, Naam said:

i don't see any advantage of a box with the drive in a bay over a box with an external drive.

only speed of read and write to the hard drive as all boxes I have are usb 2, all made in Thailand but I have one expensive one with a built in sata interface ( it was about 4000 baht).

4 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

only speed of read and write to the hard drive as all boxes I have are usb 2, all made in Thailand but I have one expensive one with a built in sata interface ( it was about 4000 baht).

USB2 supports 480 Mbps transfer speed, lets say in real life it's only half of that, so 240 Mbps.

The purpose of the HDD is to either transfer a movie file to the media player, and there is no format even 4K that requires such a speed, or to save a downloaded movie file.

I still have to see the first internet connection in Thailand that is able to deliver a download speed from international server of 240 Mbps.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Allstars said:

USB2 supports 480 Mbps transfer speed, lets say in real life it's only half of that, so 240 Mbps.

The purpose of the HDD is to either transfer a movie file to the media player, and there is no format even 4K that requires such a speed, or to save a downloaded movie file.

I still have to see the first internet connection in Thailand that is able to deliver a download speed from international server of 240 Mbps.

I'm not going to get in an argument over read speeds and you're right but usb falls off badly over time as the controller finds something else to do, just watch a usb to usb transfer using usb 3 fall off. I love usb 3 by the way but it for continuous running it doesn't match sata which reminds me I have an unused SSD I brought from the UK the last time I was back. I'm not upto date on actual figures but my own experience is that usb is way slower.

We have TOT fibre to the house and it was brilliant when it was first installed but now the full speed only seems to work  internally to Thailand, I read that one submarine cable was destroyed so I don't know if this makes a difference. We have a new cable receiving station at one end of the beach so hopefully we will get great international speeds again ....

3 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I'm not going to get in an argument over read speeds and you're right but usb falls off badly over time as the controller finds something else to do, just watch a usb to usb transfer using usb 3 fall off. I love usb 3 by the way but it for continuous running it doesn't match sata which reminds me I have an unused SSD I brought from the UK the last time I was back. I'm not upto date on actual figures but my own experience is that usb is way slower.

We have TOT fibre to the house and it was brilliant when it was first installed but now the full speed only seems to work  internally to Thailand, I read that one submarine cable was destroyed so I don't know if this makes a difference. We have a new cable receiving station at one end of the beach so hopefully we will get great international speeds again ....

Please don't misunderstand my comment, I didn't try to argue, as I'm well aware that USB degrades over time.

What I tried to point out is that a HDD connected internal or external to a Android  box has the only purpose of transferring a media file from the HDD to the media player installed on the box, or save the media file downloaded from one of the Kodi addons on the box, and in that case there is nothing that the USB2 can not handle.

It is of course a totally different matter if you're talking about transferring files from your PC to the HDD or vice versa, or downloading torrents on the PC with a super fast internet connection, then nothing goes above SATA III and SSD

8 hours ago, Allstars said:

9 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

8 hours ago, Allstars said:

Please don't misunderstand my comment, I didn't try to argue, as I'm well aware that USB degrades over time.

What I tried to point out is that a HDD connected internal or external to a Android  box has the only purpose of transferring a media file from the HDD to the media player installed on the box, or save the media file downloaded from one of the Kodi addons on the box, and in that case there is nothing that the USB2 can not handle.

It is of course a totally different matter if you're talking about transferring files from your PC to the HDD or vice versa, or downloading torrents on the PC with a super fast internet connection, then nothing goes above SATA III and SSD

@sandrabbit you are absolutely correct. There are huge advantages to having a HD connected via SATA over USB.

It is evident where the emphasis is as more and more manufacturers are including either SATA interfaces or complete enclosures for a hard drive.

In these days of online streaming having a large built-in storage is seen as a cost issue that is not necessarily needed.

Streaming online is the way most of us get our content,  having your own HD space to store your favorites is a nice option. This includes movies, photos, files or just about anything you would ever want to display to your TV screen. And let's not forget the NAS possibilities.
It is also good for those rare times when the internet is down and nothing can be streamed to your box.

To say a "HDD  connected internal or external to a Android  box has the only purpose of transferring a media file from the HDD to the media player installed on the box, or save the media file downloaded from one of the Kodi addons on the box, and in that case there is nothing that the USB2 can not handle,"  seems a bit short sighted. 

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

To say a "HDD  connected internal or external to a Android  box has the only purpose of transferring a media file from the HDD to the media player installed on the box, or save the media file downloaded from one of the Kodi addons on the box, and in that case there is nothing that the USB2 can not handle,"  seems a bit short sighted. 

May be you want to tell us then what the other purpose is,but wait, I think you told us already.

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

In these days of online streaming having a large built-in storage is seen as a cost issue that is not necessarily needed.

Edited by Allstars

10 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

i disposed of one because two tiny cooling fans made a high pitched noise and inspite of the "cooling" the whole box heated up to an unacceptable temperature.

2 minutes ago, Allstars said:

May be you want to tell us then what the other purpose is,but wait, I think you told us already.

That's correct some may find the additional cost unnecessary, while others embrace technology. 

I do believe I pointed out some pros and cons that should be considered when buying a new box.

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Streaming online is the way most of us get our content,  having your own HD space to store your favorites is a nice option. This includes movies, photos, files or just about anything you would ever want to display to your TV screen. And let's not forget the NAS possibilities.
It is also good for those rare times when the internet is down and nothing can be streamed to your box.

an external drive does same same, not different :smile:

1 minute ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That's correct some may find the additional cost unnecessary, while others embrace technology. 

I do believe I pointed out some pros and cons that should be considered when buying a new box.

I understand where you're going, but I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of a internal or even external HDD.

As you will know a set top box is connected to the network, otherwise it would not be able to stream online, and that also mean that it can stream everything that is stored on other devices connected to the network.

As there are PC's and NAS servers, which have a lot of HDD's inside.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

an external drive does same same, not different :smile:

I didn't say you must have an internal HDD or any HDD. My point is, it does have it's benefits and nice to have.

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

i disposed of one because two tiny cooling fans made a high pitched noise and inspite of the "cooling" the whole box heated up to an unacceptable temperature.

I can relate. There are some that do not use a fan and do an acceptable job of keeping the unit cool.

3 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I understand where you're going, but I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of a internal or even external HDD.

As you will know a set top box is connected to the network, otherwise it would not be able to stream online, and that also mean that it can stream everything that is stored on other devices connected to the network.

As there are PC's and NAS servers, which have a lot of HDD's inside.

I not here to convince you of anything. You will do as you please just as others will. This is informational only. Accept it or don't. That your prerogative.

Why you continue to be so confrontational escapes me.

2 hours ago, Allstars said:

I think that what Jeffrey's trying to say is that it is useful to have a HDD attached already containing media files (movies, photos, music etc.) so you can watch something when the internet is offline or not available.

I do exactly the same thing with an external USB drive, but mine is loaded with 1020p movies with DTS sound... a bit better quality than most streaming feeds.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Encid said:

I think that what Jeffrey's trying to say is that it is useful to have a HDD attached already containing media files (movies, photos, music etc.) so you can watch something when the internet is offline or not available.

I do exactly the same thing with an external USB drive, but mine is loaded with 1020p movies with DTS sound... a bit better quality than most streaming feeds.

I understand that Encid, but for that Sata has no advantage over USB2, because the transfer speed USB2 can deliver even at it's lowest possible is plenty to stream those files.

And that is also the point I made in the post Jeffrey picked on.

The other disadvantages of the limited selection of boxes with HDD tray, I already pointed out in an other post.

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

I understand that Encid, but for that Sata has no advantage over USB2, because the transfer speed USB2 can deliver even at it's lowest possible is plenty to stream those files.

I know what you mean... I have even tried that with a simple USB 8GB stick.

Works fine!