snoop1130

Scotland's Sturgeon says: I can win an independence vote

363 posts in this topic

Off-topic posts removed. 

Absolutely true. I read many years ago that from the taxes received via national insurance throughout the UK, Scotland, approx. 9% of the total population at that time, received 25% of the entire UK's welfare benefit schemes.

It also came out last time round, English and Welsh shoppers are subsidising Scottish shoppers.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

2 people like this

On BBC just now was Scottish exports.
63% goes to the rest of the UK, just 16% goes to the rest of the EU.

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Well I have worked for one of the largest integrated oil and gas companies in the world for close to 30 years in various roles in various countries so I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I know more than the OP, and if you think that his comments made sense, then you too.

Only 1 ? that explains why you have tunnel vision,  I worked in Oil and Gas in Senior Management roles for several Makor UK and US companies on 5 continents so come back and give an informed response only once you have adequate experience.  Heard it all before. "I have 30 years experience, I did this, I did " what you actual have is 30 years experience with one company, hardly something to boost about.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Mosha said:

Didn't Blair have the border at the N. Sea altered, in case independence happened?

Not sure but good get quite interesting when you consider the Falklands was claimed by the UK after the Union in 1703.  Wonder how that will be decided  as to whom has authority ? Of course that also goes for the forces of course. Will Scotland have one of note.  Should be a few squabbles there.  Of course it is never going to happen as this is Sturgeons last throw of the dice of her nationalistic agenda. 

2 people like this

10 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You really don't understand how the oil markets work, do you?

Ruamrudy

Word of advice. I know this guy, never hard the privaledge of working for him but I can assure you he knows exactly the markets and he had brought in some of the largest projects around.  That is why the largest oil company in the world aske him to delay his retirement. What he does not know is not worth knowing so as I said take some advice.

Anyway Sturgeon is not going to get her nationlistic ways so all you Jocks can lift up your kilts and flash your disapproval and continue shouting and screaming like a bunch of banshees

Only 1 ? that explains why you have tunnel vision,  I worked in Oil and Gas in Senior Management roles for several Makor UK and US companies on 5 continents so come back and give an informed response only once you have adequate experience.  Heard it all before. "I have 30 years experience, I did this, I did " what you actual have is 30 years experience with one company, hardly something to boost about.

So you agree then with whatawonderfulday that Scottish oil is expensive, and that English consumers will boycott it in favour of cheaper, foreign imports? You and he share a very interesting understanding of the way hydrocarbons are traded.

By the way, I was neither boosting nor boasting, merely pointing out that I do know what I am talking about.

Didn't Blair have the border at the N. Sea altered, in case independence happened?

I am not sure of his reasons, but just prior to the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999, Blair transferred around 6000 square miles of previously Scottish territorial seas to England.

There seem to be many theories as to how binding that might be from an international law perspective but during the 2014 referendum there was little mention of it that I can recall from the SNP so I suspect (but to not know for sure) that they were accepting of its legality, or maybe they were confident that it would be easily reversed through international arbitration.

It is surely a moot point, however. Our UK brothers on TV frequently sneer about how the North Sea is finished and how the oil industry in general is in the doldrums long term. Why, then, should an independent Scotland worry about gifting previously exploited seas to our English friends? Please don't forget to remove the infrastructure there.

59 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not sure of his reasons, but just prior to the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999, Blair transferred around 6000 square miles of previously Scottish territorial seas to England.

There seem to be many theories as to how binding that might be from an international law perspective but during the 2014 referendum there was little mention of it that I can recall from the SNP so I suspect (but to not know for sure) that they were accepting of its legality, or maybe they were confident that it would be easily reversed through international arbitration.

It is surely a moot point, however. Our UK brothers on TV frequently sneer about how the North Sea is finished and how the oil industry in general is in the doldrums long term. Why, then, should an independent Scotland worry about gifting previously exploited seas to our English friends? Please don't forget to remove the infrastructure there.

YOU forgot to mention that Tony WMD Blair and his deputy, Gordon Bigot Brown are also both Scottish. Therefore it's only right to mention that they did nothing for England, apart from damaging the country far more than Adolf Hitler.  

2 people like this

If the Scots eventually do win independence then its only fair that Wales and Cornwall are also given a chance, along with Yorkshire, Cumbria, Tyneside, the Midlands, London etc.

YOU forgot to mention that Tony WMD Blair and his deputy, Gordon Bigot Brown are also both Scottish. Therefore it's only right to mention that they did nothing for England, apart from damaging the country far more than Adolf Hitler.  

I don't think that their country of birth is particularly relevant in the above matter, but history will judge them both. Brown will probably come off less bad than Blair, but the true culprit cast as responsible for the demise of the UK will surely be Cameron?

Its conceivable that UK allows Gibraltar to remain in the EU while remaining an overseas territory. This would allow trade to flourish and kick her chair away at a single stroke.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Or at least wait until oil prices improve?

😆

images (13).jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Well one hears some tripe on here but the above takes the prize for ignorance.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

There not the brightest people (financially wise) the Scots are they ?

I mean to go bankrupt by putting over 50% of all your countries money into trying to build a way to move goods from the east coast of S America to the West coast..... then forgetting just that little item of asking the people that actually owned the land .."is that OK' then ? .......No its not !! ........oh <deleted> -OK then we seem to have lost all our money ...best ask the English if they can bail us out.

When will Scots grow up and accept that they are not always victims, and that their own people messed up and bankrupted their nation. With no option other than to approach their counterparts in England to ask for help. Did they expect all the money for nothing, with no guarantees? The Union did come from the disaster of the Darien Scheme. Hubris does usually have a price!
I bet many Scots people are not even aware of the Darien Scheme. It is high time they learned of it; high time many stopped repeating myths and blaming the English for all their troubles. I won't be holding my breath though........................
:coffee1:

An attempt, called the Darien scheme, sought to establish a new Scottish colony in the New World at the Isthmus of Panama. This scheme is often blamed for the virtual collapse of Scotland’s economy, and is cited as a key factor in the 1707 Treaty of Union between England and Scotland. ..............https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

So you are quoting something from over 300 years ago.....yeah, that has real relevance to today's world................NOT. 

23 minutes ago, Mansell said:

So you are quoting something from over 300 years ago.....yeah, that has real relevance to today's world................NOT. 

I am quoting WHY Scotland ended up being part of Britain--- because there is a lot of Scots ignorance of their own history---Some really believe its because there was an invasion from England--/--Mel Gibson lost the battle etc.etc.

If you do not feel that it is relevant why the two countries are joined together -(BECAUSE SCOTLAND ASKED...Begged would be more appropriate) ---then you are either Scots......or...... .....yes Forum rules , don't let me expand any further.

2 people like this

I am quoting WHY Scotland ended up being part of Britain--- because there is a lot of Scots ignorance of their own history---Some really believe its because there was an invasion from England--/--Mel Gibson lost the battle etc.etc.

If you do not feel that it is relevant why the two countries are joined together -(BECAUSE SCOTLAND ASKED...Begged would be more appropriate) ---then you are either Scots......or...... .....yes Forum rules , don't let me expand any further.

Then why cherry pick to paint us as a failed nation? The failure of the Darien scheme was very nuanced and hardly represented in your biased diatribe.

As for Scotland begging to be let into the union, you make it sound like there was a plebiscite to agree the issue, rather than being a hugely unpopular move by an effete elite.

But you are correct that Scottish history was woefully neglected by schools, at least when I attended in the 70s and 80s. I was forced to learn about the battle of Hastings and the war of the roses but very little about my own country and it's past. I believe the intent was deliberate cultural whitewashing.

But note that Scotland has always been part of Britain and will continue to be so, regardless of how the independence referendum goes. That is less to do with politics and more to do with plate tectonics.

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Then why cherry pick to paint us as a failed nation? The failure of the Darien scheme was very nuanced and hardly represented in your biased diatribe.

RR, If you see my expansion on the reasons Scotland found itself united with England--as a Biased Diatribe.Then my apologies. (but please feel free to elaborate on what part of the explanation on the Darien scheme was Biased) 

The last post was in answer to Mansell telling my that the history of why Scotland is in this position (part of the union) is..Yeah, not relevant in today's world.

45 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

.yeah, that has real relevance to today's world................NOT. 

Scotland a failed nation---no I don't believe I wrote that, (in fact I wrote in agreement with WAWD--that their inventions far outnumber any other sized population)-----I did write about the stupidity of the scheme (as I am sure you know the person who thought it up and sold it --so to speak- never went there. The money didn't come from the working people---but-as always- they bore the burden.

Yes I am a pupuil of the 50s school system, so I can certainly relate to the fact that "our Kingdom done no wrong" attitude.& the woeful lack of facts in the education system.

52 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But note that Scotland has always been part of Britain and will continue to be so, regardless of how the independence referendum goes. That is less to do with politics and more to do with plate tectonics

I don't know if I can agree completely with you on that RR...... Germany is plate tectonic with Poland/France ...... Russia with Ukraine etc.

I think the frustration of late comes from your lady..... there just seems to be no end to the BRExit/Trump .....lets have a vote on it---Oh we lost...lets have another one philosophy.

1 person likes this

I don't have a horse in this race, but I had wished the UK could have negotiated changes to the EU agreement rather than opt out and I would like to see Scotland stay in the EU. That being said, a mention  that most Scots voted in favor of staying in the UK is misleading . A majority of the population of Scotland did vote to stay in the union but native born Scots voted heavily in favor of leaving. Other members of the UK residing in Scotland tipped the scales in favor of staying in the Union. 

8 hours ago, Mosha said:

immaterial... the bubble has burst. :tongue: 

1 person likes this

ID: 72   Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, kamahele said:

I don't have a horse in this race, but I had wished the UK could have negotiated changes to the EU agreement rather than opt out and I would like to see Scotland stay in the EU. That being said, a mention  that most Scots voted in favor of staying in the UK is misleading . A majority of the population of Scotland did vote to stay in the union but native born Scots voted heavily in favor of leaving. Other members of the UK residing in Scotland tipped the scales in favor of staying in the Union. 

Were you outside the polling stations,asking where they had been born?

If you had,you would know that citizens of the Irish republic, plus citizens from all EU countries,resident in Scotland were also entittled to vote. What I do not know,

is if they did.

image.jpeg

Edited by nontabury

The Cranky woman wants the referendum before Brexit so Scotland can remain in the EU...

Can she not understand Scotland is in the EU as part of Great Britain so if Scotland were to became independent it would not be part of the EU so could not remain in the EU, Scotland would have to apply to join the EU.

What she is trying to do is cause trouble while Britain tries to negotiate the best exit deal, I consider what she is doing to be treasonous. 

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

image.jpeg

The Gretna to Glasgow Express...

Will be a climb down after travelling all the way from Brussels on a modern high speed train that stops at Gretna.

26 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Were you outside the polling stations,asking where they had been born?

If you had,you would know that citizens of the Irish republic, plus citizens from all EU countries,resident in Scotland were also entittled to vote. What I do not know,

is if they did.

image.jpeg

We have had more than enough lies from Brexiteers. Clean this up now. Reported.