webfact

Video: Motorway pile-up as "foreigner" kills nurse who came to help

63 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, StefanBBK said:

They don't get the concept of defensive driving. It's all about being fastest and first. No consideration for others.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I can imagine that they don't care about others, But shouldn't they at least care about themselves? 

1 person likes this

If you see an accident, slow the heck down, there are probably people walking around.  And if you ever have to walk around on a freeway, keep an eye on oncoming traffic at all times, especially at night in a dimly lit area.  Its a tragedy about the nurse who was trying to help people.

2 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Well if you change the layout of a road by large scale road works then most normal places would increase the lighting to assist drivers otherwise used to the road of the altered layout. Yes a driver should assess the situation and slow down but since the average Thai driver has trouble with even heeding a red light I don't think relying on good driving skills is going to work in Thailand and even in countries with better driving standards and tests it is not relied on. I think cost and corruption are the major driving factors for not lighting properly coupled with an ignorance and complete lack of thought that goes along with so many things in Thailand hence lighting poles in the middle of roads, parents completely blocked by an assortment if badly designed steps to footbridge, food carts, electric transformers, phone boxes and anything else someone decides to stick on them and sometimes even electric cables hanging across footbridge steps so you garotte yourself trying to use them. These are supporting examples of the Thai mindset in such matters. The death of the nurse is sadder by the fact that incompetence by authorities is passed off onto the incompetence of the driver as an excuse. 

A well delivered assessment. The key words that jumped out were cost and corruption. They seem to run neck and neck. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, hobz said:

I don't know, but why don't people slow down when there is poor lighting in the area... are they dumb, careless or both?

All of the above!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Not every road can have lights every 50 metres.  That's why cars have headlights!  

Negligence and stupidity  are the cause of almost all road crashes/ Incidents, not a lack of lights, or signage, or anything external to the car, and more specifically, external to the driver.

I thought they meant lights in the work area / danger zone.

they have them down at the chalong circle "roadworks".... but... at a height of three feet, which end up blinding you, so are more of a hazard than a help imho.

23 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

All of the above!

Agreed... drive to the condition of the roads.... basic really

1 person likes this

I really feel so sorry to this nurse! She is trying to save somebody life but end up losing her own life. " foreigner kill local nurse " so many comments. I may like to hear if today, this is "a local diver kill a foreigner" and how the TV members comment also.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed... drive to the condition of the roads.... basic really

Its all very easy to say drive to the conditions of the road but what happens when you're driving along a nice straight motorway at 120 KPH
and without warning there is a 50cm deep pothole that rips your front wheel off...or some idiot has left one of those concrete lane dividers with no warning signs or lighting in front of the 50 cm pothole...the internationaly recognised twig with plastic bag attached fluttering in the wind would be more effective,and the favorite one of turning all the street lights off along a stretch of road that's being resurfaced with a non reflective non lighted warning sign of road works placed 2 meters before the roadworks.

6 hours ago, champers said:

Who are scumbags?

Got 30 mins to read the list I'll give you.  :whistling:

1 person likes this

...the headline suggests that 'a foreigner went out of his way and intentionally killed a Thai Good Samaritan'....???

...does this reflect any reality...???

...or....'in a pileup...a retired nurse...who stopped to help...was tragically struck by an oncoming vehicle'.....???

...reading the headline... could it incite violence against foreigners....???

2 people like this

Wish that the foreigner who driving the vehicle have install a dash camera to proof that he is innocent, as in Thailand, drive and have kill people is very seriously, sometimes no ending.............(because, not a local driver)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Then your not really driving to the conditions of the road.... personally, I fully expect these issues, as you describe, to appear without warning.... and rarely ever drive at 120, even during the day.... it's too damn risky on Thai roads

My point being that roads that seem in very good condition can suddenly turn into bomb sites with no warning at all.... even at 50kph it would be dangerous...especially on a motorcycle, I admit that I don't have superhuman vision and am not the world's best driver.

This is tragic but a point every one agrees is lighting on Thai roads is nowhere near enough to stop in the middle of Nakhonowhere. I've been on roads so dark here the only way to find a turn off to a service lane was by gps. 

Thai TV News stated that the 'foreigner' was a Korean national; presumably South Korean.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Not every road can have lights every 50 metres.  That's why cars have headlights!  

Negligence and stupidity  are the cause of almost all road crashes/ Incidents, not a lack of lights, or signage, or anything external to the car, and more specifically, external to the driver.

You must live in denial, may be too long in Thailand, because road works in Thailand are really a disaster.

Road works should ALWAYS have adequate signage and lightning, which I rarely see in Thailand.

I'm very familiar with the road works in question in the OP, and am surprised that not more deaths have been accounted for yet, because in a civilized country the signage contractor would be in jail for attempted murder.

I can imagine that they don't care about others, But shouldn't they at least care about themselves? 

Being invincible is a mental condition, not a physical trait.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Probably some old guy that isn't allowed to drive in his home country.

He was driving pretty fast in a construction zone the only one to blame is the foreigner driving. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Srikcir said:

How so - because no Thai citizen would have had this accident?

- because TNA saw a foreign citizen passport?

- because TNA was denigrating foreigners, ie., as the problem for Thai accidents?

Irresponsibly written but likely within Prayut's standards for "accurate" reporting.

Maybe it was actually responsibly reported simply because it is known that a foreigner was involved, something that no one seems to be disputing (apart from you).

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

Probably some old guy that isn't allowed to drive in his home country.

He was driving pretty fast in a construction zone the only one to blame is the foreigner driving. 

Why is that "probably" the case?

the idiot that caused the collision "killed the nurse".

Headline portrays the foreigner as a murderer. Ridiculous and child like at best.

17 hours ago, AlexRich said:

A complete lack of health and safety understanding in relation to roadworks and traffic management coupled with poor driving awareness ... a recipe for disaster, and so unnecessary. RIP the poor lady that put others before herself.

They make it too easy for foreigners to drive here and rent cars. 

If you can't read Thai, you shouldn't really be allowed to get a license. If you can't read the warning signs you shouldn't be on the road. 

Did they ever catch up with the British merc driver who killed the two Thai women and ran off? CHiang Mai I think it was.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Allstars said:

You must live in denial, may be too long in Thailand, because road works in Thailand are really a disaster.

Road works should ALWAYS have adequate signage and lightning, which I rarely see in Thailand.

I'm very familiar with the road works in question in the OP, and am surprised that not more deaths have been accounted for yet, because in a civilized country the signage contractor would be in jail for attempted murder.

Attempted murder??? TUrn it up. 

What "civilized" country are you referring to?

Not one those civilized countries that has been involved in bombing innocent children in there homes in Vietnam, Laos, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc etc? But in a civil way of course. 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Philthyphil said:

They make it too easy for foreigners to drive here and rent cars. 

If you can't read Thai, you shouldn't really be allowed to get a license. If you can't read the warning signs you shouldn't be on the road. 

Did they ever catch up with the British merc driver who killed the two Thai women and ran off? CHiang Mai I think it was.

No idea how that ended ... if money was exchanged he's probably sitting at home watching Eastenders: this is Thailand.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Got 30 mins to read the list I'll give you.  :whistling:

I have 30 minutes, so please go ahead.

1 person likes this