Jonathan Fairfield

PHOTOS: Fire rips through Walking Street bar

70 posts in this topic

Squirrel blamed for fire guts Pattaya club
By The Nation 

 

42514a5433bd624db8f252ed7ddcc1ee.jpeg

 

PATTAYA: -- A squirrel was blamed for transformer explosion which led to a fire broke out at an entertainment venue on Pattaya City’s Walking Street in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district Wednesday morning.

 

No one was injured.

 

City mayor Pol Maj-General Anan Charoenchasri said the blaze started after a squirrel triggered an electrical problem.

 

Following the fire report at about 8am, Muang Pattaya Police Station investigation superintendent Colonel Chatchapil Pattarasiriporn contacted the Fire Department and five fire engines were dispatched. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed the inside of the Rock Street Pattaya club.

 

A cleaner told police she heard the transformer in front of the shop explode three times before the flames spread quickly in the business and she and fellow workers fled the building and alerted police.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309215

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Squirrel blamed for fire guts Pattaya club
By The Nation 

 

42514a5433bd624db8f252ed7ddcc1ee.jpeg

 

PATTAYA: -- A squirrel was blamed for transformer explosion which led to a fire broke out at an entertainment venue on Pattaya City’s Walking Street in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district Wednesday morning.

 

No one was injured.

 

City mayor Pol Maj-General Anan Charoenchasri said the blaze started after a squirrel triggered an electrical problem.

 

Following the fire report at about 8am, Muang Pattaya Police Station investigation superintendent Colonel Chatchapil Pattarasiriporn contacted the Fire Department and five fire engines were dispatched. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed the inside of the Rock Street Pattaya club.

 

A cleaner told police she heard the transformer in front of the shop explode three times before the flames spread quickly in the business and she and fellow workers fled the building and alerted police.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309215

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-16

Must be "Secret Squirrel"  for those that can remember

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to a certain poster on here (not seen recently) they were all going to be bulldozed anyway in January

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squirrel fled the scene before officials arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Xaos said:

Heres cause

Squirrel did it

a708742fc1f4369ae7706f98afcc3a5a.jpg

 

unfortunately as it was lunch time the squirrel couldn't be held for evidence

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the squirrel absolves the authorities from any responsibility for the fire, and so no compensation to be paid. Clever. Anyone see where they REALLY found the squirrel? Sorry, but when it comes to money and/or accepting responsibility in Thailand it is easy to be cynical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amazing it didn't spread further and do more damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see in the above photo, quite a few musicians lost everything.  They are devastated.  Not only did they lose their instruments, they've lost their jobs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please forgive me for this question, as I have little knowledge of buildings and electrical installations:

 

Is it normal that a squirrel should cause this type of damage or is this something that should be easily avoidable through proper installation procedures?

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP squirrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JayBird said:

Please forgive me for this question, as I have little knowledge of buildings and electrical installations:

 

Is it normal that a squirrel should cause this type of damage or is this something that should be easily avoidable through proper installation procedures?

 

Thank you.

It is very unlikely a such small animal would cause such a fault. First off, squirrels would have trouble reaching from one phase to another, also they jump and do not step across. In my home country where I use to work, we would have trouble with possums causing faults, they can hang on with their tails whilst stepping across to a different phase. If they shorted across the HV they would likely be blown to bits and may blow the HV fuse at the transformer, or set off the ACR (circuit breaker) back at the Terminal / Distribution station. If they shorted across the LV, they may blow the LV fuse at the transformer if on the load side of the fuse. Normally they get burnt to a crisp without causing any real damage.

 

If, as Nvass mentioned in post 16, that they bypassed the fuse (a huge no no), this would indicate an intermittent fault or over loaded circuit. My guess (and it is a guess) is an overloaded circuit / transformer. This comes about because most of the infrastructure was put in place 20, 30 or even 40 years ago and not designed for todays requirements. Over the years with the increase in the number of A/C’s, sound systems, computers, TV’s etc etc. the transformers become overloaded and need upgrading. If not upgraded they can become extremely hot and faulty and you can see what happens.    

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those guys might have been of some help if they actually knew how to use a fire extinguisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 63   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Bill3173 said:

It is very unlikely a such small animal would cause such a fault. First off, squirrels would have trouble reaching from one phase to another, also they jump and do not step across. In my home country where I use to work, we would have trouble with possums causing faults, they can hang on with their tails whilst stepping across to a different phase. If they shorted across the HV they would likely be blown to bits and may blow the HV fuse at the transformer, or set off the ACR (circuit breaker) back at the Terminal / Distribution station. If they shorted across the LV, they may blow the LV fuse at the transformer if on the load side of the fuse. Normally they get burnt to a crisp without causing any real damage.

 

If, as Nvass mentioned in post 16, that they bypassed the fuse (a huge no no), this would indicate an intermittent fault or over loaded circuit. My guess (and it is a guess) is an overloaded circuit / transformer. This comes about because most of the infrastructure was put in place 20, 30 or even 40 years ago and not designed for todays requirements. Over the years with the increase in the number of A/C’s, sound systems, computers, TV’s etc etc. the transformers become overloaded and need upgrading. If not upgraded they can become extremely hot and faulty and you can see what happens.    

I also doubt Cyril the Squirrel did this amount of damage,  I had a golden tree snake climb my transformer pole and get between two phases on the HT side of the transformer, it blew the insulators and cleared the head fuses. 

 

It is very possible an overload condition on the consumer side of the transformer caused the cable to heat up and ignite the 'protective' surrounding plastic conduit if the back up fuses did not clear for some reason.

Edited by CatCage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 64   Posted (edited)

this is more Thai passive aggressiveness.

 

you see it everywhere, in everything in the country.

 

Powerless people, (no pun intended) many who know what is happening is wrong, but just sit back and watch the country burn because it proves them right after being told to shut up. 

Edited by NCC1701A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be an eye sore on Walking Street for quite some time if they don't clean this place up very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 66   Posted (edited)

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, craigt3365 said:

As you can see in the above photo, quite a few musicians lost everything.  They are devastated.  Not only did they lose their instruments, they've lost their jobs. 

 

Damage are not really important in fact. Nearly only the front of the bar burnt.

 

144.jpg

 

On this pic taken yesterday, you would barely notice that they got a fire here !  :cool:

I think it could not stay closed very long.

Edited by Pattaya46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know first hand these guys lost their instruments.  They are now seeing if insurance will cover it.  If not, we'll be having a charity event to help raise funds to replace what they lost.  Tough times for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

skyfall gogo is open again but the front sign is less than perfect.

no work up to sunday on repairs to the rock st music venue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walked past it last night, not much sign of it reopening soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 27 March 2017 05:47
Sponsors
  • Popular Now