55Jay

Villa Markets

45 posts in this topic

Villa Market in Soi 33 is way better than most of the others - has a huge wine section upstairs - expensive but that is because of the government tax more than anything else. they have a good deli section, olive oils, mustards, balsamic vinegar, truffle oil and other such 'must haves'.

Fresh food 'wet market' for fresh fruit ad veg and seafood (local)- the fruit and veg at Villa is expensive and not that fresh

Meat and imported seafood - Central Food Hall in Chidlom A grade beef and lamb from N.Z., Australia, U.S. and usually a knowledgeable farang butcher  -Simon, a great guy who will order in stuff for you. Expensive buut great for the occasional splurge.

Bakery - well we've got Conkey's down at Ekamai Soi 10, and loads of other choices for sale at Villa, Tops,  Foodland, Bei Otto etc.

Online from TESCO for all the rest of the non-fun stuff... tissues, toilet paper, soda water, soap, shampoo and it goes. A great online operation.

Periodic trips to Pahurat (Little India) for wholesale dried fruits, nuts and Indian spices and the best samosas and bajis in Thailand.

Have fun shopping!

Have fun shopping.

2 people like this

Does anyone know of a good Bakery that delivers in Bangkok - breads in particular?

Patrick

how would Foodland on soi 5 compare to Villa? I dropped into Villa on soi 33 on the way to the dental clinic once some years ago to have a look and wan't impressed, poor selection and very expensive...

now, I have broken leg and will be meeting with an associate soon on soi 6...and my wheelchair will not negotiate the pedestrian bridge to soi 5 but I must have my dried garbanzos and other western staples not available to me in my shophouse in Nakhon nowhere and will crawl if I havta...

would my effort be worth it?

I think Topps is the best of the lot. Topps is in several of the high end malls.  Villa is the worst.

There seems to always be a strange odor in the Villa Markets.

I do not believe they do much business in their meat departments possibly smelly rotten meats.

Also, check the dates on items at Villa they have some expired products. 

Better to avoid Villa and use Foodland, or in Pattaya Friendship. I find Villa very expensive.

33 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Do Foodland in Bangkok do frozen pies ,meat pies and chicken pies ?

Nope, not that I can remember. The best source of meat pies is London Pies on Ekamai, just before the Big C Super, which is about 800-900 metres from Suk. However, at this moment, there's an ownership transition going on and stock is low. Best to call. Oh, expensive too. 160 baht a pie. 

53 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Nope, not that I can remember. The best source of meat pies is London Pies on Ekamai, just before the Big C Super, which is about 800-900 metres from Suk. However, at this moment, there's an ownership transition going on and stock is low. Best to call. Oh, expensive too. 160 baht a pie. 

Is there any other places that sells these kind of pies 160 bhat is expensive.

The only reason i still use Villa these days is for the wine. The selection is pretty good, by Bangkok standards. The other advantage they have, from a customer perspective, is that they seem to ignore the 2pm - 5pm no alcohol sale rule.  All the Villa outlets seem to ignore this rule and i have never really understood why they seem able to do this with impunity. By contrast Foodland (or at least the one i use) are rigorous in the imposition of the ban. Do Villa have some sort exemption? 

Edited by wordchild

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

The only reason i still use Villa these days is for the wine. The selection is pretty good, by Bangkok standards. The other advantage they have, from a customer perspective, is that they seem to ignore the 2pm - 5pm no alcohol sale rule.  All the Villa outlets seem to ignore this rule and i have never really understood why they seem able to do this with impunity. By contrast Foodland (or at least the one i use) are rigorous in the imposition of the ban. Do Villa have some sort exemption? 

I believe if you are buying over a certain amount the ban does not apply. From memory the figure is not excessively high, perhaps 4-5,000 baht which if you are buying wine may only be a few bottles or less.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I believe if you are buying over a certain amount the ban does not apply. From memory the figure is not excessively high, perhaps 4-5,000 baht which if you are buying wine may only be a few bottles or less.

There used to be a 10 litre rule but that's no longer in place. 

Any sales outside the prescribed trading hours are against the law. 

21 minutes ago, triplegee said:

There used to be a 10 litre rule but that's no longer in place. 

Any sales outside the prescribed trading hours are against the law. 

Vila sell any amount of booze at any time. The only time I have seen them impose the ban is election day and certain Buddhist holidays.

Just now, MrJohnson said:

Vila sell any amount of booze at any time. The only time I have seen them impose the ban is election day and certain Buddhist holidays.

Like most things - law enforcement tends to ebb & flow in their efforts to enforce these laws. 

Certainly, religious & special days are a lot more high profile when it comes to such matters. 

I think you'll find that the Villa staff will serve based on familiarity with a customer. They won't take the risk with someone they don't know as the penalties are substantial & I am aware of the law having being enforced in recent times. 

Just now, MrJohnson said:

Nope Wrong! I live next to villa soi 11and they imposed the curfew about a year ago,,but it USED to be buy at any time before that.

Milage may vary depending on which Villa though

4 minutes ago, 0U812 said:

Nope Wrong! I live next to villa soi 11and they imposed the curfew about a year ago,,but it USED to be buy at any time before that.

I presume soi 11 may be more strictly covered by law enforcement or the area has a higher proportion of potential reprobates which makes it more likely they are cautious when selling.

9 minutes ago, 0U812 said:

No,, sorry  I was specifically talking about Villa at Soi 11. It is my local and I never had a  problem buying booze there - any time of the day. I'm not trying to be argumentative here but that has been experience.

1 person likes this

The original Villa was like an Aladdin's Cave to me ,no Big C or Lotus back then .Cranberries flown in from the Arctic Circle always sticks in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

No,, sorry  I was specifically talking about Villa at Soi 11. It is my local and I never had a  problem buying booze there - any time of the day. I'm not trying to be argumentative here but that has been experience.

just bought yesterday, at Villa soi 11, 2 bottles of my current favourite sauvignon blanc, time was around 15.00pm.  I am a fairly frequent buyer of wine from that particular Villa, and i have never ever had an issue buying during the curfew.

Edited by wordchild

My first visit to Laksi Villa was during no alcohol sale time.  Didn't see the usual sign posted, so I held up a bottle of wine to the nearby cashier and asked.  She looked at me like it was a dumb question.  Alrighty then!   

No problem buying during prohibition hours during last week's visit either.