khunPer

TACTICS, is Thailand an upcoming hub for higher education?

21 posts in this topic

The Danish Embassy in Bangkok has shared this article about TACTICS today from World Economic Forum – "These countries could be the world's new education superstars" – can Thailand be a future hub for higher education..?

 

lyH6pvZDC9yXDqBm8ZW0jOEt_ydPABOv_MTkJK11

 

»...

Centre for Global Higher Education at the UCL Institute of Education, Times Higher Education has looked at a range of academic and economic metrics like research publication rates, higher education participation rates and GDP per head, and identified seven countries that are in prime position to succeed.

 

We call them the TACTICS.

 

From a higher education point of view, Thailand, Argentina, Chile, Turkey, Iran, Colombia and Serbia have the potential to outstrip the BRICS nations of Brazil, Russia India, China and South Africa – the countries traditionally identified as global rising stars...«
Full Article: "These countries could be the world's new education superstars"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...they meant for private international schools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Surasak said:

Let us know when Thailand gets its lower education off the ground.

In their space program they are working on a rocket to do just that. Stay tuned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Begs to ask the question does the country really want a highly educated workforce well yes but when you leave work leave your brains behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NITL Not in this lifetime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer: No

 

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't look like...The very best Thai university is ranking number 97 amongst all Asean...and...take a look at the rest's ranking...

Thai univ.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, janpharma said:

It doesn't look like...The very best Thai university is ranking number 97 amongst all Asean...and...take a look at the rest's ranking...

Thai univ.jpg

 

Wow. This kind of says it all does it not? And when you consider that tuitions is about $15,000 a year for Chulalongkorn University, not including room and board, it is not cheap to send your kid to a mediocre school here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

 

Wow. This kind of says it all does it not? And when you consider that tuitions is about $15,000 a year for Chulalongkorn University, not including room and board, it is not cheap to send your kid to a mediocre school here. 

 

I looked into doing the Master's program in SE Asian studies at Chula about a decade ago. Total cost would have been around $25,000 back then. Definitely not worth the time, money or effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 15   Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

I looked into doing the Master's program in SE Asian studies at Chula about a decade ago. Total cost would have been around $25,000 back then. Definitely not worth the time, money or effort. 

 

It is up to $12,000 per year now. About 210,000 baht per semester. And that is for a Thai student. A foreigner pays 330,000 baht per semester. Or closer to $19,000 per year.

Edited by spidermike007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

 

It is up to $15,000 per year now. About 225,000 baht per semester. 

 

Wow, that is nuts. You are getting a name on a piece of paper. Of course, if you are going to stay in Thailand and work, it's a good name, but outside the country, who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Wow, that is nuts. You are getting a name on a piece of paper. Of course, if you are going to stay in Thailand and work, it's a good name, but outside the country, who cares?

 

And this was published 2 1/2 years ago:

 

Details of the annual Tuition & Fees estimated are as follows::

Annual Tuition Fee
per Semester
Tuition Fee Payable to
Chulalongkorn University
(Thai Baht)
Special Fee Payable to
Faculty of Commerce & Accountancy
(Thai Baht)
Total (Thai Baht)
Thai Student Foreign Student Thai Student Foreign Student Thai Student Foreign Student
Fall 17,000 61,500 70,000 209,250 329,750
Spring 17,000 61,500 70,000
Summer 5,250 36,750 30,000
 
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grubster said:

I am baffled by this.

you got it.
if one cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

 

And this was published 2 1/2 years ago:

 

Details of the annual Tuition & Fees estimated are as follows::

Annual Tuition Fee
per Semester
Tuition Fee Payable to
Chulalongkorn University
(Thai Baht)
Special Fee Payable to
Faculty of Commerce & Accountancy
(Thai Baht)
Total (Thai Baht)
Thai Student Foreign Student Thai Student Foreign Student Thai Student Foreign Student
Fall 17,000 61,500 70,000 209,250 329,750
Spring 17,000 61,500 70,000
Summer 5,250 36,750 30,000
 

Faculty of Commerce and Accounting the most expensive, interesting. 
All they need is a number of lecturers and an Auditorium.
Wonder what the rationale is behind the pricing.

If I remember correctly usually the Faculty of Medicine takes much higher tuition fees because of the large infrastructure needed for teaching, and the intensive use thereof by students.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, Surasak said:

Let us know when Thailand gets its lower education off the ground.

it will be a "HUB" when the taxi's  do not smell of nasty feet ............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laughable proposition. Quality of education at any level in Thailand needs massive attitude change. Authorities have let down the nation's population (especially the young) disastrously.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 28 March 2017 03:26
Sponsors