webfact

U.S. to ban some airline passengers from carrying larger electronics

80 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I thought it may be because most possible terrorists live in these countries.

Many Terrorists are smart, well funded people these days and they should never be under estimated. If they are going to pull off something 'new' in terms of ways to attack then they only have one chance before their methods are uncovered and steps put in place to avoid it happening again.  I doubt they are going to bring down one of their 'own' aircraft (i.e. an aircraft with 90% Arabic people on board - especially out of a country allegedly funding them) . There is also so much scrutiny in the airports at Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi they would not even try it. They would travel to somewhere innocuous and do the dirty deed from there. The problem is once some over zealous character shouts 'THREAT"! then you have to have balls of steel to say 'nonsense' carry on as normal, as in the event of any future incident full responsibility would bear down on those who refused to listen to the zealot. Believe me, I want security, but I like sensible well considered security. I was a professional pilot, I know the risks and I know the scaremongering. I have had British airport security remove from me and colleagues (on duty pilots) bags sharp pencils because they were a potential weapon! They forget that behind the co-pilots seat there is a big fire axe. If I wanted to do someone harm, I would not piss about with a pencil would I, when I have a fire axe. There is an entire industry now built around promoting fear in travellers and none of the shareholders who make hundreds of millions will allow their profits to diminish by a population believing there is no real terror threat.

4 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Many Terrorists are smart, well funded people these days and they should never be under estimated. If they are going to pull off something 'new' in terms of ways to attack then they only have one chance before their methods are uncovered and steps put in place to avoid it happening again.  I doubt they are going to bring down one of their 'own' aircraft (i.e. an aircraft with 90% Arabic people on board - especially out of a country allegedly funding them) . There is also so much scrutiny in the airports at Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi they would not even try it. They would travel to somewhere innocuous and do the dirty deed from there. The problem is once some over zealous character shouts 'THREAT"! then you have to have balls of steel to say 'nonsense' carry on as normal, as in the event of any future incident full responsibility would bear down on those who refused to listen to the zealot. Believe me, I want security, but I like sensible well considered security. I was a professional pilot, I know the risks and I know the scaremongering. I have had British airport security remove from me and colleagues (on duty pilots) bags sharp pencils because they were a potential weapon! They forget that behind the co-pilots seat there is a big fire axe. If I wanted to do someone harm, I would not piss about with a pencil would I, when I have a fire axe. There is an entire industry now built around promoting fear in travellers and none of the shareholders who make hundreds of millions will allow their profits to diminish by a population believing there is no real terror threat.

I don't think we agree on much so lets just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

I don't think we agree on much so lets just leave it at that.

Not a very comprehensive or convincing answer. Just exactly what do you disagree with? There is nothing contentious in the post, or is it you just can never bear to think you are wrong? How Trumpesque of you.

4 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Not a very comprehensive or convincing answer. Just exactly what do you disagree with? There is nothing contentious in the post, or is it you just can never bear to think you are wrong? How Trumpesque of you.

Just not taking the bait here thats all, good bye.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Just not taking the bait here thats all, good bye.

How bizarre there was no bait.  Yes good bye.