webfact

Birthday boy Prayut tells media "I am what I am"

57 posts in this topic

Birthday boy Prayut tells media "I am what I am"
By The Nation

6959ad10b14662ec38d39838237ee90c.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday thanked Government House reporters for giving him a birthday card and their good wishes to mark his 63rd birthday.

General Prayut admitted that sometimes he became aggressive with reporters but that was due to work-related stress, adding that he held no personal grudge against them. 

“I just want what we are doing to be completed successfully, otherwise we will not be able to move further,” he told the media. 

“We have attained many successes. In some areas, we are in the process of doing [work] and almost succeeding. But in some areas, we are just in the starting point.”

Prayut asked the media to accept the fact prime ministers have different characters. “I am what I am,” he said. 

The PM gave a commemorative coin in memory of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej to each of his media well-wishers at Government House.

On Tuesday morning, he and his family offered alms to nine monks at his residence inside the First Infantry Division to mark his birthday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309752

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-21

Hmm, maybe I should ask him if he want to have a joint birthday part next year...

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

He also said:

Oh I am what I am 
I'll do what I want 
But I can't hide
I won't go 
I won't sleep 
I can't breathe 
Until you're resting here with me
I won't leave 
I can't hide 
I cannot be 
Until you're resting here with me

He was referring to democracy. Not sure what he means by 'resting' though. 

"He also said:....."

I hope he is a Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong fan to have remembered those words., 

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dido/herewithme.html

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Surprised the guests aren't prostrated.......

No, just frequently frustrated.

1 person likes this

ID: 16   Posted (edited)

Ex PM Anand Panyarachun was the most beloved and respected of

all the PM to date, his leadership, although short lived, 1991-1993 was

a good time for Thai politics, but as in politics, good PM don't last,

there's no money to be made for the elite out good times, so he had to go,

as for the current PM, yes he's what he's, and you can't take it away from him,

he could do worse thought.....

Edited by ezzra
2 people like this

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Any 'reporter' giving or accepting gifts from this man ought to be ashamed of themselves. 

Why ? they might not like him but a bit of flattery will help them to do their job better. You don't have to like people who you are dependent on but keeping yourself on their good side is beneficial. If your a reporter and want to keep supporting your family its not smart to destroy your own income. 

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

Sometimes he is aggressive with reporters.

Only when they ask something he doesnt want to answer.

Edited by colinneil
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

There is something called 'integrity'. A commodity that any any journalist / reporter ought to treasure. I mean Judas Iscariot was at least paid 30 coins...

I like your high horse (no insult meant) but integrity does not feed a family if you lose your job. I just see it different,  PM's come and go (especially here) so maintaining a good relation with them is useful. You don't have to really like him but you can at least make sure your in his good grace so you can do your job better.

As a journalist you will have to work with people you don't like personally.. but you can at least make sure there is a good business relationship. 

I prefer practicality and having income over integrity. Do you think reporters that have interviewed serial killers like them.. I doubt it.. but I am sure they would do them small favors to build a relation so they can report good and or write a good book. 

ID: 24   Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I like your high horse (no insult meant) but integrity does not feed a family if you lose your job. I just see it different,  PM's come and go (especially here) so maintaining a good relation with them is useful. You don't have to really like him but you can at least make sure your in his good grace so you can do your job better.

As a journalist you will have to work with people you don't like personally.. but you can at least make sure there is a good business relationship. 

I prefer practicality and having income over integrity. Do you think reporters that have interviewed serial killers like them.. I doubt it.. but I am sure they would do them small favors to build a relation so they can report good and or write a good book. 

Aye, integrity won't feed your family true enough, but it will help you find another job in journalism and perhaps with a better news agency once you have the metaphorical scars that show you have been in the trenches, as it were.

As for interviewing serial killers, I doubt they bring birthday cards and fluffy bunnies into the prison with them...

Edited by baboon

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Aye, integrity won't feed your family true enough, but it will help you find another job in journalism and perhaps with a better news agency once you have the metaphorical scars that show you have been in the trenches, as it were.

As for interviewing serial killers, I doubt they bring birthday cards and fluffy bunnies into the prison with them...

Maybe in an other country, here its not smart to piss off those in power, they have long memories. (if it was easy to get a new job as you say.. sure piss them off and show integrity but not if it really means no income)

As for the serial killers, do you really think there is no tit for tat relation... and of course it goes only that far.. but I am sure that if they let the guy know how much they despise him they wont get a good story. 

I just see things different than you.. have you never worked with an <deleted> of an boss or co worker... i always tried to maintain good relations then. We always bought cake and stuff on birthdays.. even for the <deleted>. No need to make things worse just to take a stand. I feel income and job security is more important (within limits) 

Anyway.. just a bit OT... 

Prayut is a walking media disaster (said it before) but as a general you don't have to coat things like politicians do. I will be happy when his reign is done.