webfact

Birthday boy Prayut tells media "I am what I am"

46 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Any 'reporter' giving or accepting gifts from this man ought to be ashamed of themselves. 

Totally agree. It makes me want to vomit.

2 people like this

ID: 27   Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe in an other country, here its not smart to piss off those in power, they have long memories. (if it was easy to get a new job as you say.. sure piss them off and show integrity but not if it really means no income)

As for the serial killers, do you really think there is no tit for tat relation... and of course it goes only that far.. but I am sure that if they let the guy know how much they despise him they wont get a good story. 

I just see things different than you.. have you never worked with an <deleted> of an boss or co worker... i always tried to maintain good relations then. We always bought cake and stuff on birthdays.. even for the <deleted>. No need to make things worse just to take a stand. I feel income and job security is more important (within limits) 

Anyway.. just a bit OT... 

Prayut is a walking media disaster (said it before) but as a general you don't have to coat things like politicians do. I will be happy when his reign is done. 

I have been pretty lucky regarding bosses, I have to admit. There were ones I would argue with (you will be amazed to hear😆) but they had maturity and depth of character. When the row was over (or not), it would be 'Anyway, how did your holiday go? You weren't affected by that air traffic control strike, were you...?' Work matters were work matters and outside matters were another thing entirely. 

I very much suspect Prayudh is not like that.

As always we shall have to agree to disagree and see what others have to say...

Edited by baboon
2 people like this

28 minutes ago, baboon said:

I have been pretty lucky regarding bosses, I have to admit. There were ones I would argue with (you will be amazed to hear😆) but they had maturity and depth of character. When the row was over (or not), it would be 'Anyway, how did your holiday go? You weren't affected by that air traffic control strike, were you...?' Work matters were work matters and outside matters were another thing entirely. 

Oh I have argued with my boss too (when i still had one). But those were business arguments where I saw things different then him. We both had no problems with that in the Netherlands its not unusual to disagree with a boss. But in the end his word was of course more important. But if it then later went wrong then it was his problem and not mine. 

Prayut is not like that.. he is a typical army man (though here in Thailand the boss seems to always be right) he accepts no disagreement. He is not suited for what he is doing now. 

Yes lets disagree.. I just feel that job-security wins over my personal feeling about someone. Unless it really drives me mad.. but then i first look for something else before i get it off my chest.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oh I have argued with my boss too (when i still had one). But those were business arguments where I saw things different then him. We both had no problems with that in the Netherlands its not unusual to disagree with a boss. But in the end his word was of course more important. But if it then later went wrong then it was his problem and not mine. 

Prayut is not like that.. he is a typical army man (though here in Thailand the boss seems to always be right) he accepts no disagreement. He is not suited for what he is doing now. 

Yes lets disagree.. I just feel that job-security wins over my personal feeling about someone. Unless it really drives me mad.. but then i first look for something else before i get it off my chest.

Hang on a second... We are talking about bosses, but he isn't their boss, is he? Their bosses will be the editors of the media outlets they are employed by. If he was their boss that would mean they were state media.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, baboon said:

Hang on a second... We are talking about bosses, but he isn't their boss, is he? Their bosses will be the editors of the media outlets they are employed by. If he was their boss that would mean they were state media.

No he is not their boss.. but someone they need to work with to do their job good else their boss will have to replace them. Just feel its better to keep him on your good side so they can do their job better. If that means a birthday cake so be it.  But I think our points are not too far apart. I understand what your saying about integrity, just feel job security is more important (unless they have a good backup plan)

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“I just want what we are doing to be completed successfully, otherwise we will not be able to move further,” he told the media. 

In what direction pray tell. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, baboon said:

In my working years I always found that malingerers and corner cutters and people that knew how to beat the system were always made "bosses" 

Oh crap, we share the same same birthday. Way to spoil mine :post-4641-1156693976:

1 person likes this

Just feel its better to keep him on your good side so they can do their job better.

As a journalist, your job is to tell the truth. However, telling the truth and keeping the head of the junta happy are fundamentally irreconcilably goals. Journalists in Thailand need to choose; unfortunately, almost all of them have made the wrong choice, though in their defence, so have almost all of the general population of this country.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

He also said:

Oh I am what I am 
I'll do what I want 
But I can't hide
I won't go 
I won't sleep 
I can't breathe 
Until you're resting here with me
I won't leave 
I can't hide 
I cannot be 
Until you're resting here with me

He was referring to democracy. Not sure what he means by 'resting' though. 

Dido would be proud...........

Prime ministers have many characters, he said.....I believe psychiatrists have a term for that...

1 person likes this

Just thinking would the next Pm be better? With Thailand history of governments maybe not They get into office and become corrupt Maybe the Americans taught them so well to do that I really got no big issue with this guy He goes we probly get someone just as bad Next issue guys  But if he only brought in  a law so Thai drivers knew how to drive properly and the police did there jobs he be my hero forever

11 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Just thinking would the next Pm be better? With Thailand history of governments maybe not They get into office and become corrupt Maybe the Americans taught them so well to do that I really got no big issue with this guy He goes we probly get someone just as bad Next issue guys  But if he only brought in  a law so Thai drivers knew how to drive properly and the police did there jobs he be my hero forever

You are easy to please.

20 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe in an other country, here its not smart to piss off those in power, they have long memories. (if it was easy to get a new job as you say.. sure piss them off and show integrity but not if it really means no income)

As for the serial killers, do you really think there is no tit for tat relation... and of course it goes only that far.. but I am sure that if they let the guy know how much they despise him they wont get a good story. 

I just see things different than you.. have you never worked with an <deleted> of an boss or co worker... i always tried to maintain good relations then. We always bought cake and stuff on birthdays.. even for the <deleted>. No need to make things worse just to take a stand. I feel income and job security is more important (within limits) 

Anyway.. just a bit OT... 

Prayut is a walking media disaster (said it before) but as a general you don't have to coat things like politicians do. I will be happy when his reign is done. 

You are talking ignorant nonsense and the members who have expressed dismay at this charade are absolutely correct.The role of the media is to hold power to account not flatter or simper in front of it.This ridiculous birthday ritual is a disgrace to Thai journalism and those participating in it should be ashamed of themselves.The same comments would apply to the celebration of any PM's birthday whether Thaksin , Abhisit or Prayuth.Of course there should be politeness so far as that is possible but not participation in any activity that implies journalists are part of a cosy establishment.

1 person likes this

The fable of the Scorpion and the Frog comes to mind here.

Also, if our glorious leader was more 'down with the kid's and strret smart, he would have said "i is what i is"

On 21/03/2017 at 11:44 AM, Bluespunk said:

Thought that was Popeye's line...

Don't forget to eat your spinach.