Thailand Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Pattaya expat worries: unofficial survey

Blimey this ones gonna be good.
  3. 'Disaster looms,' says head of UK's anti-Brexit party

You should look this word up in a dictionary. Propaganda is what (Mainly) politicians disseminate eg information of a misleading nature to persuade people a certain point of view. Nigel Farage is a good example of someone who does this. I was just expressing my opinion, not attempting to persuade anyone. The youtube clip incidentally is political comedy, nothing to do with propaganda.
  4. How about doing some real work like police the traffic.
  5. Electrical issues at our house

And since nobody seems to have taken notice of my warning and with apologies to our OP. Closed.
  6. Think you have missed the point.. The regime itself is a major causal factor for splintering Syria into self serving violent factions.
  7. Bit of info for TAT lady Luxury shopping at Bicester Village was full of Asian tourists from early morning to late at night and they where buying high end goods by the bag load, some Chinese walking around with 5 to 10 designer bags on their arms. We asked one of the locals is this a special day today with these numbers, she replied its like this every day here, they love it as they know that there are no fake goods sold here. So those quality tourists are on holiday enjoying themselves, but choose to travel to countries that provide value for money and yes there are coaches but no backhanders as that is corruption and these days a time in the cells awaits those who try it on. Spin that Mrs Tat Lady.
  8. Nico Papke to make first court appearance in October, DNA matches ‘Lek’ Shela Riva German national Nico Papke re-enacts the crime on July 18. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub PHUKET: -- It has been confirmed today that German national Nico Papke, who on July 18 confessed to the murder of his Thai girlfriend, 35-year-old Pischa “Lek” Nampadung, will make his first court appearance at the beginning of October. Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003051-german-national-nico-papke-to-make-first-court-appearance-in-october-dna-matches-‘lek’/
  9. Nico Papke to make first court appearance in October, DNA matches ‘Lek’ Shela Riva German national Nico Papke re-enacts the crime on July 18. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub PHUKET: -- It has been confirmed today that German national Nico Papke, who on July 18 confessed to the murder of his Thai girlfriend, 35-year-old Pischa “Lek” Nampadung, will make his first court appearance at the beginning of October. Meanwhile, it has also been confirmed that forensic results from stains found on a mattress inside in Ms Pisha’s rented room in Chalong and bloodstains found in a car rented by Papke matches that of the victim. Speaking to The Phuket News today (Sept 19), Chalong Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Somsak Sopakarn said, “According to the forensic results, the blood stains inside the rented car matched Ms Pischa’s DNA. Papke’s and Ms Pischa’s DNA were both found in the car and in his rental home. Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/nico-papke-to-make-first-court-appearance-in-october-dna-matches-lek-63954.php -- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-20
  10. If you're interested in gaining facts as opposed to assumptions go to the link below and download the report which provides stats comparing 2015 - 2016 period. As we know Jihadi attacks have increased in the UK during 2017, but the Europol provides good insights, the annexes provide summaries although it is well worth reading the entire report. https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/eu-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report.
  11. Really? How about this... http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mitt-romney-praises-trumps-speech-before-un-general-assembly/article/2634897 Just as I predicted, Romney will be saying good things about Trump! Quoting liberal rags means nothing and doesn't mean you know anything about American politics. Any politician running for office will seek support from others within their party. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
  12. Just read the above link. Notice how the "Atlantic Council" themselves write "most of the country is controlled either by terrorist groups or by a weak, isolated central government in Damascus." Yes, I suppose we'ill have to wait for the weak isolated central government in Damascus to remove the terrorist groups, and then we will see the re-building of Syria.
  13. Pattaya expat worries The key matters concerning long-term farang in Pattaya are visa prospects and their own health care. That is according to a local survey carried out by Pattaya Today with 100 expats, mostly retired British but also involving mainland Europeans, Americans and Australians. Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003050-pattaya-expat-worries-unofficial-survey/
  14. Pattaya expat worries The key matters concerning long-term farang in Pattaya are visa prospects and their own health care. That is according to a local survey carried out by Pattaya Today with 100 expats, mostly retired British but also involving mainland Europeans, Americans and Australians. The newspaper is not claiming this was a scientific survey but was conducted by interview and telephone over a two-week period. Almost all those contacted said their biggest concern at present was the ambiguity which they sensed about future visa policy in Thailand. At present most long-stay farang have a one year extension of stay based on retirement. A new 10-year visa for those over 50 years and their families has been introduced by the government, but the rules are complex – requiring police clearance from the home base and many financial documents – and can only be obtained in the country of origin and not in Thailand. In spite of rumours to the contrary earlier this year, the current retirement visa has been left untouched by the immigration authorities. It requires annual foreign income or cash in Thailand, or a combination of both, of at least 800,000 baht. Yet many expats are concerned lest the rules are changed, for example a doubling of the cash or income requirement or a supplementary rule demanding comprehensive medical insurance. Full story: http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/pattaya-expat-worries/ -- PATTAYA TODAY 2017-09-20
  15. have 2 Daikin units, one being the bedroom which gets used a lot. Had good life out of it and only ever needed cleaning. It replaced a Samsung unit that was a source of aggravation and expense.
  16. First Trip to Pattaya - Have I missed Something?

Oversleeping? Undersleeping?
  17. Teach Thailand without formal Degree

The whole degree debate is worthless due to a lack of parity in international standards. Traditionally in the UK very few people bothered with university due to the expense and the fact that degrees were not required to enter into the vast majority of professions. When I entered the workplace they were actually viewed as an irrelevance and a hindrance, replacing three or four years of valuable work experience (which most employers much preferred). The level of education received at O and A level was often of a higher standard than lots of what I've seen at university level in less developed countries. The reason this rule is enforced here (in recent years especially) has nothing to do with teacher quality, but everything to do with a country that is choking in bureaucracy and red tape, and is obsessed with anything around social status. It's hardly surprising the country scored second from lowest in the whole ASEAN region in English ability when so many hurdles are placed in the way of willing teachers (which would include retirees and those who have settled here with plenty of life experience). Any teaching qualifications that are asked for should be relevant to the task at hand, such as the CELTA or a respectable TEFL course, in which any native speaker who has completed a decent programme will have already demonstrated a certain standard of proficiency. I remember having graduates work under me (not in teaching) and finding them to be no better equipped when it came to common sense than those who didn't have degrees; I also remember the same point of view expressed here in Bangkok in the late 90s from chatting with a school director here, long before the requirements were tightened up.
  18. Just came back from Penang. I went there to apply for a Non-O Visa Single Entry valid for 90 days. I had all required documents, e.g. updated bank passbook with 800,000 BHT for more than 3 months and a letter from my bank, confirming that I have sufficient funds on my bank accounts. I went to Banana Visa Service (recommended) with all my documents and the lady there told me me that I need a letter from my embassy confirming that I'm retired. She said the Thai Embassy is now asking for this additional document, even if you have a bank passbook with a balance of 800,000 BHT and a letter from your bank. I couldn't believe it and I went to Jim's Place and asked him whether it was true that I need a letter from my embassy. He said it's true and the reason the Thai Embassy is asking for the letter is money laundering... I went back to Banana Visa Service and the very helpful lady made some phone calls and she finally arranged my visa at a special price without the letter from the embassy. Before I went to Penang, I was told by an agent in Phuket that all I need is my bank passbook with the required balance OR a letter from my embassy confirming that I receive the required pension of ?? Really confusing.
  19. True Online Upload Speed Problems

Yes I had a True tech not turn up and then lie about it! I too am having speed issues with True to international servers, seems worse at weekends. Can't figure out if they are blocking some streaming or it is a network/gateway issue either. Sometimes switching in a VPN helps but not always.
  20. Army balloon deflated, QUESTIONS remain

Now here was thinking she might be colour sensitive and yellow is her favourite colour. With comments I have seen today (nextdoor) it does make me wonder if the area should be re-named starting with a letter L>>>>>>>
  21. Can I be the first to suggest they have probably played a part, although, probably not donated by the laity ?
  1. Load more activity