The usual caveat....this is only a summary and all is subject to change. Politics, dysfunction and an endemic lack of coordination abounds in the implementation of mass transit policy and projects. Please note that the list numbers only refer to projects/lines or expected extensions based on future plans - numbers have nothing to do with the MOT/OTP M-MAP 10 line master plan (which is currently being reviewed and updated).
1) The main progress since my last update in July 2017 (see #596) is that the Orange line construction is well underway and that the MRT Pink line has also started some site construction work. The MRT Yellow line has some preliminary work underway but proper construction is still at least a few months away. The 1.8km ‘toy’ Gold line Auto monorail line has supposedly also started construction but I’m a little skeptical of that.
Currently, some 140kms of new lines are under construction (The current network is around 113kms of what will eventually be some 540kms of metro and suburban lines)
2) In the first half of 2018, we should also see tenders on the Purple Line southern extension (delayed from last year), the MRT Blue line 7.8km west extension, and also the Western section of the Orange line which Cabinet is pushing as a PPP model.
The SRT Dark Red Line ext to Thammasat Uni and SRT Light Red line to Salaya exts are also expected to be tendered this year.
There is also a small chance that one of the 3 BTS exts may be tendered but given the ongoing standoff between the MRTA and BMA on the current 2 extensions, I don’t see another tender going out until next year.
4) 2018 Openings: The BTS Suk line southern ext from Samrong to Kheha SP will open in December.
5) After nearly 20 years the 2 ‘missing’ BTS stations, S4 & N6, are finally being built. Work should begin in 2018.
Feel free to ask queries as they are a few people here with specialist knowledge but pls don't quote the complete list if you do post a query.
BANGKOK METRO & SUBURBAN NETWORK - UPDATED SUMMARY LIST (Jan 2018)
A) LINES/EXTS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
1) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) Tha Phra & Bang Khae ext: (Civil works progress 97%) a) Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km , 7 elevated & 4 underground stations. Opens March 2019.
Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km, 7 elevated stations, Opens 2020. Website: http://www.mrta-blueline.com/
2) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line Southern Ext) Samrong to Kheha Samut Prakan ext (MRTA): 11.4km, 6 stations. Opens in Dec 2018. (Civil works progress 100%). Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/
3) SRT Dark Red Line suburban line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations* (Started March 2013, opens June 2020 - civil works progress 89%). *SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric.
4) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line Northern Ext): a) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext ( MRTA): 11.4km, 11 stations,
b ) Saphan Mai to Kukot/Lam Lukka rd: 6.8km, 5 stations . (Construction started late 2015, opening in 2019 - civil works progress 51.21%). 1st Phase to Lat Phrao station to open early 2019. Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/
5) MRTA Orange Line eastern section Phase 1: 20km, 17 stations (10 underground, 7 elevated) Thai Cultural Center to Minburi. Construction stated July 2017, to open 2022. (Civil works progress 3.79% Website: http://www.mrta-orangeline.net/ and
6) MRTA Pink Line (Monorail): Khae Rai intersection to Miniburi via Pakred, Chaeng Wattana & Ram Inthra 36km, 30 stations. Construction started Dec 2017, to open April 2021 but expect 2022 as being more realistic. http://www.mrta.co.th/pinkline/index.html
7) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail): 30.4km, 23 stations elevated. Latphrao to Hua Mark to Samrong. Prelim. construction starting soon after public consult., to open April 2021 but expect 2022 as being more realistic. http://www.mrta-yellowline.com/
8) BMA Gold Line (Auto monorail): 1.8km, 3 stations, Krung Thonburi to Klong San. Construction has reportedly started in late Dec 2017, to open late 2019.
9) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE and S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line extension and both SRT Red Lines. (Construction started May 2014, opening 2019/20 – (civil works progress 57.50%).
LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2018:
10) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 23.6 km. 17 stations (12.6km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated). Note: Approved for tender by Cabinet on 25 July. Tender delayed due to PPP proposal. If construction starts by mid 2018, a 2024 is likely.
11) Orange Line Phase 2, west section: From TCC to Bang Khun Non (Charan Sawitwong rd). 17.5km, 13 stations underground. Tender delayed due to PPP proposal. 12) Blue Line west ext to Phutthamonthon sai 4: 7.8km, 4 stations elevated.
13) SRT Dark Red Line north ext suburban line from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni: 8.5kms, 4 stations
14) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya to Siraj, 13km, 6 stations
15) BTS S4 Suksa Wittaya station to be built in 2018.
16) BTS N6 Sena Ruam station to be built in 2018
C) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2019-2020??
17) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line south from Paknam to Bang Pu: 4 stations (planned)
18) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line north ext: from Kukot to Outer Ring rd, 4 stations (planned)
19) BTS Light Green (Silom) line ext from Bang Wah to Taling Chan: 7km, 6 stations (planned)
20) Airport Rail Link (ARL) extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations (much delayed) 21) MRTA Grey Monorail Line: 26km, 21 stations. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra (Completing EIA). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Grey_Line
D) NEXT BATCH OF LINES/EXTs (2022>) - assuming that all goes well in the next 2-3 years 22) BTS Light Green (Silom Line) west: 1-2 station ext west from National Stadium to Krung Kasem rd to link with the future SRT Dark Red Line. 23) SRT Dark Red Line south ext: 59 km, 22 stations a) Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Wong Wian Yai, 7 stations b ) WWY to Mahachai, 15 stations
24) SRT Light Red ext from Bang Sue to Hua Mark, 7 stations (Note: duplicates the ARL line)
25) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) spur line or LRT from Bang Na intersection to Central Bang Na & BKK Airport (planned) E) THEREAFTER OR UNDER STUDY (2025 >)
26) Brown Monorail Line: 20.5km, 21 stations. Monorail Khae Rai intersection along Ngam Wong Wan, Kaset-Namawin to Lam Sali intersection (interchange with Yellow and Orange). (Feasibility study until mid 2018) http://www.brownline-fs2560.com/index.html 27) MRTA Purple Line north ext : 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection (requested by Nonthaburi province but no confirmation). 28) BMA Light Blue Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Monorail. Sathon to Pracha Songkhro. (Status TBC)