Jump to content
BANGKOK 17 November 2018 17:36


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

188 Excellent

About blorg

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

3,339 profile views
  1. Note as well even if you have already extended you can apply for a second extension on your last or second last day. It will be rejected but they will give you seven days more (from the date of application, not your current stamp) to get out. This is cheaper (1,900) than six days overstay (3,000) as well as less legal risk.
  2. For a lot of things, yes, and certainly anything visa related, all those fees are set in USD, as they are in many countries. It may have changed at this stage but when I was there a few years back there were a lot of things you needed to pay dollars for and they would not take kyat. Then it was around 50/50 dollars vs kyat. It's not like Cambodia where 95% of the economy including locals is in USD but more a situation where foreign visitors have to pay dollars for certain things, like train tickets for foreigners had to be paid in USD as did most guesthouses. Many other countries this stuff is set in USD, I have always paid dollars for visas and extensions in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam as well, and the overstay fines in Laos and Cambodia are also specified in USD.
  3. Not in the industry but my understanding is the deadheading cannot be counted as rest time.
  4. This is nothing new. Stay over 180 days and you are Thai tax resident, whatever your visa. But it does not apply to foreign income not brought into Thailand. It does apply to pension income, by default, but some countries have an exception in their tax treaties that the home country will tax the pension. But this is how it always has been, they just have never shown any particular inclination to chase it up. >Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html A "residency certificate" from immigration has absolutely nothing to do with tax residency. It's basically just a certification of your address. You can get a residency cert from immigration (in many provinces) even on a tourist exempt stamp, if you are only here for a week. Don't remember that one. That is nothing new either and is there purely for TAT to use for planning purposes. It's not the "form for the 30 days visa waiver" either, it's the arrival card everyone fills in whatever visa they are on. What is your opinion on contrails?
  5. For the better off, the 1.5% interest For the worse off, they just don't have it I wouldn't be overly concerned about the bank disappearing with your money, or having difficulty transferring it back out... there really is no problem there.
  6. The visa rules are a lot harder for the Chinese, despite the Chinese being the largest contributors both in terms of numbers and tourist $$$
  7. Possibly not just the UK but the colonies as well
  8. I'm not 100% sure what they will take. But I have seen reports from Americans who have got their retirement extensions on the basis of income after they were able to show bank statements (I THINK US ones, not Thai ones) backing up what they declared in the affadavit. Those that only had the embassy affidavit were refused.
  9. @Thaidream it's going to be down to what your specific immigration office wants when you go for the extension. You'll either have it or not have it, but I would not presume they will take printouts of foreign online banking showing ATM withdrawals in Thailand. I'd suggest you find out for sure 100% what they will need to do the monthly income route at least three months in advance, so you have time to "season" the 800k if necessary. If you are rejected for an extension on the basis of monthly income, you can't just bring in 800k on the spot, it has to be there for several months, and in the meantime you will need to leave Thailand. So make sure you find out in advance what they will take.
  10. Chiang Mai immigration no longer accept US income affidavits without supporting documentation.
  11. You can open a Foreign Currency Deposit account in Thailand and have the money transferred as is into that, and then convert it later when it suits you, if you prefer. To be honest "selecting the exchange rate" is overrated, you don't know what it is going to do, it can go up or down and if you could actually predict it coming up with 800,000 would be the least of your worries, you'd be a billionaire. But if it concerns you, and you think there is a benefit to choosing the time you want to convert, just open a FCD account with a Thai bank.
  12. There were probably some people who got the US embassy declaration with insufficient documentation, given that they did not check anything, yes. My point was more that the fact that we have reports that Thai immigration is no longer accepting US embassy income declarations on their own, and the Canadian embassy has reported a similar change, this is clearly a change in Thai immigration policy, not something the British embassy has come up with on its own.
  13. The British government would only have leverage over Thai immigration rules if it had a bilateral treaty with Thailand allowing Thai people to immigrate to the UK under similar rules. In that case, under the principle of reciprocity, governments do have leverage over immigration policy and will actually raise these issues. Unfortunately the UK does not grant similar access to Thai citizens or have any such treaty, so there isn't really much the embassy can do.
  14. Why would you not believe it? With the reported changes affecting US embassy declarations and earlier in the thread someone reporting the Canadian embassy said the same thing, this is clearly coming from Thai immigration, not a change in policy for the UK embassy.
  15. There is no reason why you would have to have your UK bank do the conversion. You can send the money in GBP through SWIFT and your Thai bank will convert it.