Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

336 Excellent

About skatewash

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

3,991 profile views
  1. Housemaster how to do

    Following the letter of the law, your wife should do for your daughter what she should have been doing for you. That is, file a TM-30 with the immigration office, informing them that a foreigner is staying in her house. This has been the law for a long time, however, many immigration offices have only recently started to rigorously enforce it. However, I completely agree with Peter, that as a practical matter you could safely ignore this legal obligation to report your daughter (unless she will have business with the immigration office - such as requesting an extension of stay). Showing up at the immigration office is when this particular obligation can be checked and enforced. If she will not be doing any business at the immigration office (which is likely to be the case for someone only staying a month), then you really don't have to worry about doing any reporting in her case. You, however, are a different matter as you have ongoing business at the immigration office when you do your 90 Day Reports, request your annual extension of stay due to retirement, and if you ever require certificates of residence (say for a driver's license or to register a vehicle). Your wife (or you) should have filed a TM-30 for yourself at immigration. You may very well have done so, I'm just reacting to your last statement about "never having submitted such for my own many years here." I guess that could mean you've never submitted such for visitors to your wife's home before, but there should have been a submission for you. Possible fines of up to 2,000 Baht are possible for not doing a TM-30 submission. Enforcement of this provision may have been lax in previous years, but I think the trend is clear that it is being enforced now. If you haven't done so for yourself, my advice would be to do so now. If you haven't been doing 90 Day reports, I would start doing those, too. It could be that you already are, but in case you are not, I thought it should be mentioned. Also, if you are not doing it it's somewhat puzzling as to how you received your recent extensions of stay due to retirement. Did you use an agent, or do it yourself at the immigration office?
  2. Certificate of Residence

    Wow, you got the handsome man discount! The going (note, not official) rate at Phuket is 300 Baht.
  3. What's the best VPN in Thailand?

    I've read this topic with interest but I'm far from being a sophisticated VPN user. Basically, my use of a VPN is for logging into my US financial institutions so that it appears I am in the US. Occasionally, I find it helpful to use a VPN to play a video (e.g., a clip from a US tv show) that may for some reason be geo-blocked in Thailand. For these purposes, I have been using Opera's built-in VPN facility. Is this a good choice for my situation or do I need to be concerned about using this free VPN? My previous VPN was hola.com which I understood did have some issues. As you may have guessed, I do like the price of Opera's VPN and have been generally satisfied with the speed when accessing US sites. Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated.
  4. It would be great to do the arrival address registration online if the immigration office were willing to allow non-businesses to do so. Maybe you could share how your wife was able to get an account at immigration?
  5. Highly recommend you give the online 90-day report a try: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do?cmd=acceptTerm Successfully completed my 90-Day Report using that in Phuket on 30 August. When it works, it's lovely. Be aware there is a 15-7 day window before your due date during which an application will be accepted. Outside that window, it will be rejected with a non-specific error message telling you to visit the immigration office. Also, sometimes you will not receive the automatic email notice that your application has been approved so you may have to use the site to check on your status to see if has been approved. If it has been approved you need to go on the site and print out your receipt (called Next notification due). If it's after your report date and you still have not been approved after checking your status you will need to visit Phuket Immigration to complete the process. You must do this within 7 days after your 90-Day Report due date, if necessary. Barring that I would submit the 90-Day Report by mail. There are specific instructions for doing this in Phuket and you must mail it early enough for it to arrive in a timely manner. Third, I would do it in person at the main Phuket Immigration Office. Often it is as simple as presenting your passport (which contains your previous 90-Day Report notification receipt and your TM-30 address notification receipt stapled in) and you'll be out in a matter of a few minutes. I would avoid the Patong satellite immigration office like the plague. While there is nothing official that states this I believe the Patong office was set up for the convenience of tourists and that the Immigration Officers who work there believe this to be true and consequently make it difficult for expats and those staying long-term to use that office. Use the Phuket Immigration Office and you may find that all your problems disappear. Or not. This is Thailand, after all ;-)
  6. Except for sinbin. He has successfully persuaded me that it is impossible for him to obtain one. But for anyone else, yeah, I agree they should be able to get one with no problem.
  7. In my opinion, you seem to have set yourself the difficult task of proving a negative. It's a little like getting a Thai driver's license and then developing a notion that the Thai license is good in all Thailand's provinces except for Buriram. Then Googling for a statement where someone says "the Thai driver's license is completely valid in Buriram," and not finding anything like that. Well, why would you find something like that? After all, Buriram is a province of Thailand and there's no particular reason to believe it would be treated any differently than the other 76 provinces of Thailand, in which the Thai driver's license is valid. The interesting thing it seems to me is not that you can't find anything that specifically allows a POA granted by a Thai grantor to a non-Thai grantee, but that you have developed the notion that this would be prohibited. Where does that notion come from? What is the basis for the prohibition? Have you ever heard of someone refusing to honor a POA because the grantee is non-Thai and the grantor is Thai? The easiest thing would seem to me to contact a lawyer and ask would you be able to draft a POA for a Thai grantor with me (a non-Thai) as the grantee? I doubt there would even be a fee for answering that question. Or if you want to avoid dealing with lawyers altogether, maybe go to an international hospital in Thailand and ask if they have or recommend any forms for a heathcare POA so that you as grantee can make legal decisions for a Thai grantor (such as your wife). Henry Ford famously said: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't—you're right."
  8. Have you found anything that states that a POA cannot be issued in Thailand in which the agent is a non-Thai and the principal is a Thai? You might want to ask Siam Legal (https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Power-of-attorney-in-Thailand.php). I would think the presumption would be that it is legal and if it were not legal you would expect to find a discussion of that fact.
  9. I would say that now, at least in Phuket, the consensus of this thread (for what that is worth) is that you would need to report your same 10-year old address to immigration within 24 hours of returning from a trip abroad or risk being fined for neglecting this obligation the next time you have business to do at the immigration office. The immigration office, if it were so inclined (and it now seems so inclined), would be able to tell from your passport and information in their database that you neglected to report to immigration within 24 hours of your return home. As is often the case here, the law hasn't changed but enforcement, it would seem, has.
  10. What I don't understand is why I wasn't asked for a hundred baht in that office a few weeks ago. Well I've only been here for twenty years so I'm probably not up to speed yet. Maybe you qualified for the handsome man discount. Or maybe the employee who charged me 100 Baht has been moved to an inactive post. I don't really know. I've only been here for five years, but it's been long enough to convince me that what happens on a Tuesday might not happen again on a Thursday, and if Gai does something for free Moo might demand 100 Baht. Things change from time to time. Just explaining why I choose to go out of my way to the Phuket Town immigration office rather than using the much closer Patong one. Phuket Town has never charged me for a 90-Day Report and their residency certificates are 200 Baht cheaper. If you want to find consistency Thailand might not be first place you would look
  11. Why would you pay anything to do a 90 day report? Never heard of such a thing. Well, now you have. Glad to be in a position to expand your horizons Went to Patong to file my 90-Day Report probably because the online version was down. After doing my 90-Day Report the woman said that will be 100 Baht. I paid 100 Baht. Got my passport back and left. Haven't returned to Patong immigration since then. I do my business at Phuket immigration where I have never been asked to pay for doing a 90-Day Report and the certificates of residence are 200 Baht cheaper. Not really sure what it is you don't understand?
  12. That's been my experience. Patong charges 500 Baht for a residence certificate, Phuket charges 300 Baht. Patong charged me 100 Baht to file a 90-Day Report, there's no cost at Phuket. While I live much closer to Patong than Phuket I regard Patong as mainly interested in servicing short-term visitors. In other words, they don't really want to deal with me. Long-term expats are much better served by Phuket.
  13. I think some may be misunderstanding the scope of the POA that needs to be signed. It authorizes the agent (presumably you) to file a TM-30 on behalf of the landlord (owner). It is a limited POA for the purpose of submitting a TM-30. Now, whether this can be communicated effectively to your landlord is perhaps an open question. The form to be used is linked to earlier in the thread and is bilingual (Thai and English). It's not like you could go to their bank with this POA and empty out their savings account or go to the hospital and get your landlord removed from a respirator. It's for the sole purpose of submitting a TM-30. Basically, it is getting the permission of the landlord (owner) to inform immigration that you are their tenant.
  14. Well, it's a Wednesday in Thailand so a lot of conflicting information going around Here's my question: does anyone know of anyone who does not own a business successfully applying for the online TM-30 registration account from an immigration office? If so, which office, and what is the process for doing so? I'm the owner and resident of my condo in Phuket. I would like to use the online TM-30 registration capability to report myself when I return to my condo (after I return from a trip outside Thailand, or after I return to my condo from spending a night somewhere else where my temporary address may have been reported to immigration), but I am retired, meaning I don't have a business in Thailand, nor do I work in Thailand. I have no intention of ever renting out my condo either short or long-term. I just would use the online registration to fulfill my legal obligation to inform immigration of my return to my home address. Seems to me this would be a win-win situation. The immigration office gets up-to-date information on my address (in this case, confirmation that I still live in the same place) within 24 hours when I return home yet I don't have to clog up the already busy immigration office with my presence. I realize this makes too much sense to ever likely be implemented, but a guy can dream can't he? Anyone succeed in doing this without being a business owner?