Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

547 Excellent

1 Follower

About Donutz

  • Rank
    Super Member

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

3,499 profile views
  1. Third parties are Always optional voor Schengen member states. You have no obligation to use a service provider such as VFS Global, TLS Contact or BLS etc. See Schengen sticky for details or visit the EU Home Affairs webpage and their handbooks on visa policy. That said, some embassies really try to 'persuade' or push you to their service provider but you don't have to deal with them and thus don't have to pay a service fee unless you chose to use the external optional services. You don't need an adress, though if you alsready have I'd include it. Marriage documents (if written in a language such as Thai: officially translated and also legalized by any EU/EEA embassy. ), the passports (copies) of the European and the alien plus something that makes clear that the couple will head to the EU (written and signed letter from the EU national, but throw in a, optional flight reservation if you wish) is enough to get a free short stay visa under Directive 2004/38. If you do wihs to migrate I'd also get other papers in order such as birth crtificates (and have those translated etc.) because you may need them once you formally indicate that you wish to live there. But for the visa itself you won't need many papers. Some embassies do act ro are dumb and ask for more things such as travel Insurance or what not while they shouldn't ask these things for special applications under Freedom of Movement. Links can be very useful if they point to official and current information. I'd rather trust a link to the EU or EU member state than a long story without any sources to duoble check if the information is 1) correct 2) still correct at this moment and not some outdated information wish is no longer correct. I agree. And I was about to throw in those same links (they are also included in the Schengen sticky but hey) Other useful links are: EU Home Affairs page on Visa policies with 2 handbooks, the large one of 100+ pages has a chapter on EU/EEA family member applications (section 3): https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en The short version for those who don't want to read a lot of background info: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm The EU directive (EU law) that this al derives from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32004L0038
  2. Currently the Thai spouse would have the right to live with the EU/EEA national anywhere in the EU/EEA (except the home country of the European), IF they are not an unreasonable burden to the state or national security risk. These rights are derived from EU directive 2004/38 on freedom of movement. Now with Brexit this may change. But for now, a Briton and a Thai that are married can get a free visa to say Italy (showing their ID/passports, proof of a legal marriage and the European making clear that the Thai travels with or joins the European). This could be for holiday or immigration purposes. To live there the Briton would need some form of income (as not to be an unreasonable burden to the state) and not plot to overthrow the government (national security risk) and they should be fine. Once a non European lives in Europe they generally get more rights the longer they live there. After X years they may get an indefinite/permanent residence permit, after Y years they may apply for citizenship etc. There usually are rules too for if the European dies. Property rights very country specific. No clue about that. But if the Thai person has an income they could always just rent a place even if they couldn't own property.
  3. Debit cards are fine, though you may wish to carry some cash for the first day(s). If the alien carries a copy of all documents that were part of the vida application you should have no issue. I assume that in this case that would be a copy of the handbook with sufficient funds for the entire trip. Not many people would carry thousands of euros cash but rather draw some money from the ATM every X days. This is was the Schengen rules say: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810 --- Article 14 Supporting documents 1. When applying for a uniform visa, the applicant shall present: (a) documents indicating the purpose of the journey; (b) documents in relation to accommodation, or proof of sufficient means to cover his accommodation; (c) documents indicating that the applicant possesses sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to his country of origin or residence, or for the transit to a third country into which he is certain to be admitted, or that he is in a position to acquire such means lawfully, in accordance with Article 5(1)(c) and (3) of the Schengen Borders Code --- The border code says: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32016R0399 --- Means of subsistence shall be assessed in accordance with the duration and the purpose of the stay and by reference to average prices in the Member State(s) concerned for board and lodging in budget accommodation, multiplied by the number of days stayed. Reference amounts set by the Member States shall be notified to the Commission in accordance with Article 39. The assessment of sufficient means of subsistence may be based on the cash, travellers’ cheques and credit cards in the third-country national’s possession. Declarations of sponsorship, where such declarations are provided for by national law and letters of guarantee from hosts, as defined by national law, where the third-country national is staying with a host, may also constitute evidence of sufficient means of subsistence. --- I know, it doesn't mention debitcards but if you would meet a crazy border guard who does not accept the same evidence as the embassy accepted, in theory you could go to an ATM and draw cash etc. But I wouldn't worry too much about facing a crazy official.
  4. Thanks for your feedback. Sounds like the French violate their own instructions (there used to be instructions on the embassy website on how to get an appointment at the embassy), and Schengen legislation (since as you know as a rule they need to let you come to the embassy within 2 weeks unless for unforeseeable legit reasons cannot reach this deadline). Would it affect your application if you reminded the embassy of its own instructions and EU Schengen rules? Unlikely. The people at the front desk are not the same as those deciding over visas in the back office. Even if they are the same person, the appointment would in no way be a thing that is a point of consideration when it comes to checking if you meet the various requirements. Having said that, I can understand that if the French act against the rules it would feel pushing your 'luck' if you insisted (though luck has no role in visa decisions). You may wish to share your experience with EU Home Affairs department: JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu As for TLS. Going through the paperwork to check if it's complete is simply part of the job. Advice on the application isn't (they are just paperpushers, a glorified mailbox). But if the VIP service acts like a Visa Agent would, I suppose that might suit some people who feel more secure by receiving feedback before actually making the application. But it would just be advice, TLS are not officers who rule over application and they don't know the decision og the French officers back at the French embassy. The French officers not accepting fax/mail/e-mail and requesting your financial info and travelstamps are probably due to love of red tape.
  5. Tourist visa to the UK

    French immigration? You mean the French embassy in BKK (or London) or (optionally) the external service provider TLS. In any case, if you are a Briton (or any other non-French EU/EEA national) your wife should be able to get the Schengen visa for free, ASAP and with minimum hassle or documentation (both your IDs, marriage certificate and possible an official translation of it and your written word that she will join you in your trip to France should be sufficient). See the Schengen sticky topic near the top of this forum for details.
  6. Obviously the education minister should resign. He sets a bad example of putting truth, honour and reputation above other things. What might students think? They aren't supposed to think. A good student is an obedient drone, this makes a good citizen.
  7. The Junta has a great sense of humour! Not the one taking flak apologizes, but the one that says he would have done the honourable thing and resigned over this issue. 555555
  8. France to Spain

    The directive itself: it only says marriage is requires, nothing about where it needs to be registered. The handbook for embassy staff on EU home affairs: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en And the sample story on the EU website: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm ------- Sample story Marriage certificate enough to get a visa Thomas is Irish and lives in Belarus with his wife Delia, a Belarusian national. When they wanted to visit Thomas's mother, now living in Spain, they applied for an entry visa for Delia. She included their marriage certificate in the application, but the Spanish authorities also asked for proof of hotel accommodation in Spain and health insurance before they would issue the visa. However, when Delia pointed out that no such additional documents were required under EU law, the Spanish authorities apologised for their mistake and immediately issued her entry visa. ------
  9. France to Spain

    Not only something that doesn't exist but which they also legally cannot ask. It would be a violation of EU law (Directive 2004/38). But the Spainish embassy is rather notorious for breaking the rules and few people complain (it seems) to the EU ombudsmen Solvit or EU home affairs ( JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu ).
  10. France to Spain

    A Schengen visa (or residence permit from a Schengen state for that matter) allows the alien to travel into, through and leave via any and all Schengen member states. So with a French Schengen visa you can fly from BKK to Zurich (Switzerland), spent time in France, travel to Spain and leave the Schengen area via Portugal. You may find the sticky topic on Schengen visas useful.
  11. PM rolls out ‘Thai Niyom’ scheme

    Thai style 'democracy' means father Prayuth will listen to his children, tell them what they actually mean and need and then throw the people some populist bones as long as the submarines come first. The men with lots of medals and deep pockets know what is best. The oligarchy must prevail. So real reforms such as proper taxation of income and property that would mean that the rich actually contribute a fair share to the national budget. Which could then be spent on better education, more independent thinking, access to equal and proper healthcare, assisting in creating labour unions, proper aid for the poor and retired and so on. Democracy will do just fine, it's a universal thing, no need to give a Thai twist to it. And if the west is to be looked at in dispise, maybe have a look at Malaysia, Singapore and Japan to see how nations can prosper.
  12. Italian Schengen Visa

    Most likely yes. Unless you are in a relationship akin to marriage. But for a regularSchengen visa she will need to apply from Thailand (make an appointment with the Italian embassy first or alternatively she can make an appointment to apply via the optional service provider VFS), show a hotel booking, proper medical travel insurance, a flight reservation into & out of the Schengen area etc. The Schengen sticky topic near the top of this forum provides more details and links.
  13. You will only know as soon as you get the passport back and open it. If the visa has been refused there should be a form/letter from the ECO explaining why. The front desk embassy staff (or the staff of the optional external service provider TLS, VFS, BLS) are just there to forward the paperwork so they don't really know either.
  14. Indeed. If you check the topics on a Schengen visa Spain you will see that they make people jump through a lot of hoops. Even though it should be a very smooth, fast, easy process to get a free Schengen visa for a spouse of an EU national (directive 2004/38 on freedom of movement for EU/EEA family members). In theory she can apply while on holiday in the UK, or she could apply while passing through say Russia or Nigeria. As the spouse of an EU national as per the beforementioned directive, any relevant embassy should issue her a visa regardless of her visa/residence status in the country she happens to be applying from. But several people gave reported the Spaniards to 1) insist only those with UK residence status can apply from the UK (wrong, that only applies to regular applications, not the VIP like EU/EEA family member application) 2) make you use the external service provider (wrong, all applicants including of the regular type but especially the EU family member type can apply directly at the embassy by appointment). So if you can, apply for the free visa from Thailand if you can and be prepared to jump through some hoops. But if they really don't give you anything remotely like a free minimum hassle swift visa application experience, report them to Brussels: JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu And check the Schengen sticky if you haven't already.
  15. TLS, like VFS is entirely optional. By choosing to use their services you will have to pay a service fee into of the visa fee. The service fee can be no more than 30 euros (half the visa fee of 60 euros). Many embassies try to push people to an external service provider like VFS, TLS or BLS but applying directly at the embassy with an appointment (which must be granted with 2 weeks of your request) is entirely within your rights. You may find the Schengen sticky useful: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/ If you can supply all documents and a good explanation on reasons if returning back to TH (include a 1 page letter in which you explain the reason of travel and reasons of return etc) you should be fine. 95-99% of Schengen visas are granted. Statistics available at the bottom of EU Home Affairs vida policy page: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en