Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 November 2018 19:31


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

253 Excellent

About KamnanT

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday August 1

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

6,700 profile views
  1. KamnanT

    Exit Visa

    As for a visa for Australia, New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa in advance of arrival in Australia. You will be granted an SCV (special category visa) subclass 444 upon arrival. Technically, you could be excluded under the blanket "health and character grounds" or if you have previously been deported, excluded or removed from Australia or another country. So just don't tell them about your wayward past. If it's true, I'm disappointed that AirAsia directs their customers to a private firm that charges $150 for visa processing. Most visitors to Australia from Western Europe, North America and many parts of Asia (including Malaysia but excluding Thailand) are eligible to apply online for either an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) which costs $20 or an eVisitor visa which is free.
  2. As with many aspects of tax law, technology frequently outpaces legislation. Before credit and debit cards, remittances were in the form of a bank draft, traveller's cheque or telegraphic transfer and were thus more easily tracked. Payment cards and their international networks now mean that tens of millions of international transactions take place every day. While technically using a foreign-issued credit card in Thailand could be considered a remittance (the merchant's bank in Thailand settles the transaction, via a clearing organisation, with your card issuing bank overseas) you are correct in suggesting that it is highly unlikely that the Thai Revenue Department would become aware of these transactions unless there was another reason for them to investigate your circumstances. I take it that, as you have no bank account in Thailand, you are not locally employed or self-employed? If so, you will almost certainly never come to the Revenue Department's attention.
  3. The premiums for life insurance policies issued by Thai insurers (or foreign insurers registered in Thailand) are deductible to a maximum of THB 100,000 per annum. Term life policies with a minimum 10 year duration qualify but any health or accident insurance component of the premium needs to be excluded (a number of Thai insurance companies sold combined policies that were 90% health and 10% life so that policyholders could deduct the premiums under this provision). I am unsure about whole life policies.
  4. Short answer: For salaried employees paid in Thailand, the scope for legitimate tax minimisation is rather narrow. Take best advantage of what few deductions there are (LTF, RMF, life insurance, mortgage interest). Wherever possible, keep income-earning assets offshore and don't repatriate the income to Thailand, at least not in the tax year in which it is earned. Keep in mind that while Thai personal income tax rates are not low, neither are they particularly high especially by European standards. Assuming your gross income (incl. housing allowance) is THB 5.6M, you are single and you take full advantage of the above deductions, your taxable income would be THB 4.31M, on which you would pay THB 1,149,700 in tax, or an overall effective tax rate of about 20%. You would pay more than that in just about any European country (including the UK) and in many parts of the US.
  5. KamnanT

    Ending Work

    If your friend is in Thailand on a multiple entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa that has not been extended by Immigration in Thailand (i.e. he is NOT on an Extension of Stay based on employment), then his Non-Immigrant visa remains valid until September and he can continue to get permission to stay for 90 days on each entry. However, if he received an Extension of Stay based on employment then that extension expired on the day he resigned and, technically at least, he is currently overstaying.
  6. Some might argue that the relatively low number of Thai nationals on overstay is a result of the strict visa regime and not an argument for a more permissive approach. It would be interesting to see these figures restated as a percentage of the total number of temporary entrants from these countries over, say, the last five years.
  7. I know that as recently as late 2010, walk-ins at VFS were tolerated and accommodated, albeit normally with a long wait while applicants with appointments were processed. However, in the interim the language on the VFS site has become more explicit: "Applicants who visit the visa application centre without an appointment will not be able to submit an application, and will be advised to book an appointment online." Not sure if another member has a recent walk-in experience to relate. Your GF can certainly try to visit VFS without an appointment - all they can do is say "No". BTW, I assume your GF is also aware that application forms must now be completed online and then printed - handwritten forms are no longer acceptable. After completing the online form, the website takes you through the process of booking an appointment. I suggest she book an appointment ASAP in case she is not accepted without one.
  8. There is no specific limit or restriction on the number of visa-exempt entries you can receive although on occasion, Immigration officers may ask for clarification of the purpose of your visit if they see a number of sequential 30 days entries. I don't believe I've ever read a report of someone being denied visa-exempt entry by air assuming their passport is in order and valid for at least a further six months.
  9. And no one at his Thai bank thought to ask, "Excuse me, Sir, but where are these funds coming from?" And he was able to transfer these large sums out of the country without question? Every time I want to make a telegraphic transfer from my BBL account, I get an extensive questioning about where the money came from and what the purpose of the transfer is.
  10. KamnanT

    Work Permit &Hiv

    I don't believe the medical examination required for a work permit includes an HIV antibody test, although as already stated it does include a test for syphilis. What might be more of a hurdle is the pre-employment medical exam that many medium/large firms operating in Thailand require. I worked for a number of years at a multinational firm's Bangkok office and their pre-employment medical included an HIV antibody test. I asked the HR Director one day, "What would happen if a successful applicant turned out to be HIV+?" and her response was "Their job offer would be rescinded." I smiled and asked why, as the risk to other staff members would be too small to even contemplate. She was clearly horrified at the suggestion that someone with HIV be employed at this company. But as I had already made my sentiments clear, she avoided a confrontation by saying, "Because we provide private health insurance for our staff and if we hire an HIV positive person, their medical costs will push up premiums for all staff." As in many countries, there is still a harsh social stigma associated with being HIV+ in Thailand.