The topic of DL comes up often enough to warrant a pinned topic on it. I went in to renew my 5 year license today, 1 day after my birthday in order to get 5 years + 364 days. The timing of my experience today will probably not be the norm as it was two days before a 5 day holiday and the place was packed.
1. Arrived at exactly 9:30AM and went to the 2nd floor and got in the long queue to the information desk. She will pre-check your documents and hand you the application form. After filling it out took the documents to window 22 at 9:45AM where they check your document more closely. I supplied them with the application form, copy of my passport, copy of my work permit (address verification in my case) all signed, my DL, passport and work permit. Given a queue number which has two numbers on it. The top one is the queue number used to make your payment and the bottom is the time to go for your physical examination and training video.
2. 10:00AM was called in to the physical testing area. Due to the very large number of people today they only did the color eye test and forgo the other tests. Collect your documents that are laid out on the table.
3. Next, went to the training video room and handed over the documents again. Set through the video but again, due to the large numbers today, they actually cut it short to get the next group in. Collect documents from the table in front and go out to wait to be called to pay. My number was C139, they were serving C52.
4. When called to the window, hand your documents over and payment. In my case it was 500 Baht for the license, 5 Baht for the stamp and an additional 50 Baht for amendment (Changed my address from the last one).
5. Go in to the room and get a queue card to wait for your photo to be taken and DL (plastic) to be given to you. Do not need to bring a photo. There was an additional 10 Baht charge and believe it was for the plastic card holder/protector.
6. DL handed over and done at 12:59PM.
Next post will show photos of most of the procedures outlined above.