Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation


Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

188 Excellent

About taxout

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

4,688 profile views
  1. As said, the turn-around can be about a week for a new passport. To do this, they must electronically transmit your photo and application to the passport factory. No other way it can be done that quickly.
  2. No, this announcement isn't about the requirement to be insured or pay a penalty. It's about the requirement to disclose whether you had insurance, or were covered by an exemption. Those living overseas aren't somehow automatically exempt from the requirement to be insured. They have to file Form 8965 to claim the exemption. Note that if you had Medicare Part A for the year, you were covered by qualifying insurance and don't need to claim an exemption, but you do have to check the "Full-year Coverage" box on line 61 of Form 1040.
  3. Social Security Announces 2.0 Percent Benefit Increase for 2018

    While I believe the Naval Hospital on Guam does not accept Medicare, the public Guam Memorial Hospital and the new private Guam Regional Medical City both do. http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2016/01/17/grmc-now-accepts-medicare-medicaid-patients/78832922/ Of course these are relatively small hospitals without the broad range of specialties or expertise you'd find in a major metropolitan hospital in the Mainland. (Note that HK Express stopped its pretty cheap service between HK and Guam a few months ago, though they still fly to Saipan, where you can also get Medicare coverage..)
  4. HRH The King's Full Name

    In English, that should be "H.M." not "H.R.H." Just as in the U.K., where it's H.R.H. Princess Anne but H.M. Queen Elizabeth. That is, the sovereign of a country is His/Her Majesty, while other members of royalty are His/Her Royal Highness. Thailand follows this convention in English.
  5. Note that for commercial reasons USPS has stopped making tracking information available on ordinary registered mail sent from overseas, except from certain countries that have come to some sort of agreement with USPS. Thailand is on the list of countries with an agreement. https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2015/pb22424/html/info_002.htm
  6. Visa for India

    How long for which type of visa? Quick for the evisa, but for the regular visa you'll have to wait about a week while they cable the Indian embassy in your home country for clearance, if you're not resident in Thailand.
  7. I have had extraordinary problems with mail to the US in the past year. A very important letter to Social Security with a deadline either did not arrive or was lost by SS. Missing the deadline created enormous problems. And like the Post Office, SS does not deal well with problems. So the next time I had a very important letter to the US I registered it. It arrived, but two months to the day after I mailed it. Just unbelievable.
  8. Rabies vaccination schedule

    Rabies vaccine, though, is meant to be kept under refrigeration. When I did precisely this, they -- the Red Cross -- gave me the box packed in ice. Which of course didn't last long. There's some question it seems whether refrigeration is absolutely necessary. But keep the stuff as cool as you practically can, nonetheless.
  9. U.S. Tax Penalty for No Health Insurance

    1. As the IRS says, " U.S. citizens who are bona fide residents of a foreign country (or countries) for an entire taxable year" may qualify for an exemption. But the poster here cannot qualify under this exemption in 2017 because he wouldn't meet the entire-taxable-year requirement. 2. As said above, the poster can probably link together months in 2017-18 to satisfy the 180-day test. If there's a problem doing that for some technical reason, then he can also file with the IRS and ask for a hardship exemption. You need to be resident in a particular state to get Obamacare; no insurer will take you on with a Thai address. Since the poster can't get qualifying insurance living in Thailand, he should qualify for a hardship exemption. Sort of like living in a county where no insurer is offering Obamacare.
  10. Is your comment about Africa based on travel after 11 July 2016, when the new rule took effect?
  11. WHO is clear: "This lifetime validity applies automatically to all existing and new certificates, beginning 10 days after the date of vaccination." http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/
  12. US Territories and Medicare treatment ?

    Hong Kong Express sometimes has very reasonable fares to Guam and Saipan from HK. (They also serve Chiang Mai.) But looking into it, medical care on Guam and Saipan seems not all that developed, so I'd be reluctant to suggest flying there for anything consequential.
  13. Flight time's a bit longer, but Morocco is fascinating and not expensive. Someplace like Guangzhou in S China is relatively near and not expensive; 60 days per stay on a 10-year visa, but easy to reset with a visit to Hong Kong or Macau.
  14. As you probably know, unless you'll be hospitalized for surgery, Part A will not give you much coverage. It's Part B that gives the coverage you need. There's an open enrollment period for Part B that ends three months after the month in which you turn 65. If that period is over and you didn't enroll then, you can normally only enroll later during January through March of any year, with coverage to begin July 1 of that year. This is a harsh rule in your case, and you'll have to explore with Social Security whether any exception applies to you. There are some exceptions permitting late enrollment in Part B outside the January-March period, but most apply to those who were covered by other insurance. So if you've got any kind of medical coverage in Thailand, take the paperwork with you. There's no general exception for expatriates, however. There is, though, an exception that allows returning expatriates to enroll in Medicare Advantage plans. (Medicare Advantage is an HMO-type plan that sort of combines Parts A and B.) You need to be resident in the U.S. to qualify for Medicare Advantage, and I don't know whether your failure to enroll in Part B affects your eligibility for Medicare Advantage. In any event, the window to act is short: if you qualify as a returning expatriate, you need to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan within two months of returning to the U.S. Similarly, a returning expat can qualify for enrollment in Part D, drug coverage, outside the normal enrollment period, but again, you need to act quickly. (As suggested above, a Medigap F policy would be great in your case, but you need Part B coverage before you can take out a Medigap policy.) In terms of timing, a warning that it took Social Security months to process my enrollment in Part B. You send your papers in, and they disappear into a bureaucratic mire; nobody knows where anything is. If the Medicare options don't work out for some reason, of course there are other possibilities, like Obamacare and Medicaid. How quickly you could get enrolled in these I don't know. For something like Medicaid, I presume you'd need to document your assets and income. Any large medical center in the U.S. has staff familiar with the ins-and-outs of insurance programs, since it's in their interest to get you insured as quickly as possible. I think they're usually the first people you see, before the doctor even. As to where to go, a couple of thoughts. First, someplace with good public transport might be important to you. Second, if you need to fall back on public resources like Medicaid, some states are more generous than others. Whether there are issues like minimum residency requirements, I don't know. Finally, I would research medical centers and make contact with them now. I would not simply fly to the U.S. and then start calling around.
  15. Overstays in America

    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94 So you still have the card after leaving the U.S. They say if you departed by common carrier ship or plane you don't need to send it in because your name's on the passenger manifest, but that it would nonetheless be a good idea to have the card on you the next time you enter the U.S. to "help facilitate your reentry." If you left overland (or on a private ship or plane) and still have the card, then you certainly need to send it in, but only to the address given on that website. Otherwise, there could be real problems when you next try to enter the U.S.