Thailand Forum
webfact

Ducati rider killed after crashing into pickup in Pattaya

mikebell    2,680
On 07/09/2017 at 11:50 AM, jvs said:

??????Where did you read that?

In the article - Police took Chatra Ngiam, 29, a Cambodian worker who drove the pickup, into custody for questioning.

richard_smith237    6,328
6 hours ago, The manic said:

No need for these big, powerful bikes to be on the road. 

Spoken by someone who's only means of transport is a little wheeled hair-dryer.

Its not the vehicle, its the attitude of the person who drives it. A little scooter can readily get up to 'bike splitting' speeds.

Perhaps in the future all vehicles will be electronically limited to the speed limits, until then drivers & riders will continue to push the limits of their own stupidity. 

Regarding a previous question: Yes its SOP when a road fatality occurs that the surviving party is taken into custody (and usually bailed by his insurance company if you have 1st class insurance).

• Like 1

garbolino    51
On 9/7/2017 at 0:11 PM, champers said:

I would like to know more. Did the pickup have rear lights working? Did the deceased have brakes in good working order? Was either party tested for drink and drugs?

if rear light not working then the pickup is BIG enough to see it!!

• Like 1

The manic    1,940
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Spoken by someone who's only means of transport is a little wheeled hair-dryer.

Its not the vehicle, its the attitude of the person who drives it. A little scooter can readily get up to 'bike splitting' speeds.

Perhaps in the future all vehicles will be electronically limited to the speed limits, until then drivers & riders will continue to push the limits of their own stupidity. 

Regarding a previous question: Yes its SOP when a road fatality occurs that the surviving party is taken into custody (and usually bailed by his insurance company if you have 1st class insurance).

I do not drive in Pattaya. No need. Plenty of public transport. So you are wrong . However, you are correct regarding the attitude of vehicle owners. Owners of large, loud, unnecessarily powerful bikes often seem to have 'issues' .  The issues include driving at dangerous speeds in built up areas, arrogant disregard  for other people and as demonstrated in the reply above:contempt for other road users. There is no need at all for these large powerful bikes on public roads. However, they do keep the organ banks full!

• Like 2

MadMuhammad    82
12 minutes ago, The manic said:

I do not drive in Pattaya. No need. Plenty of public transport. So you are wrong . However, you are correct regarding the attitude of vehicle owners. Owners of large, loud, unnecessarily powerful bikes often seem to have 'issues' .  The issues include driving at dangerous speeds in built up areas, arrogant disregard  for other people and as demonstrated in the reply above:contempt for other road users. There is no need at all for these large powerful bikes on public roads. However, they do keep the organ banks full!

A bit of a narrow view there mate. A lot of people actually want to get out of Pattaya and see the countryside (as strange as it may seem to some), others including myself,  find it to be impossible to do 100's of kilometres on a 100cc scooter at highways speeds. And many people have different tastes, wants and needs. 

Any motorised vehicle has the capacity to be used incorrectly by people who let their confidence outdo their ability especially cars that invariably have the capacity for mega speeds.

Attitude is by far more  a societal issue than something that is specific to a certain demographic. 

Furthermore, I'd be confident in saying a large majority of bike deaths in Thailand are by people operating 150cc or less bikes. 

• Like 2

thaibeachlovers    9,421
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, champers said:

I would like to know more. Did the pickup have rear lights working? Did the deceased have brakes in good working order? Was either party tested for drink and drugs?

All irrelevant.

The party that hits the vehicle in front is at fault. One should always drive expecting some idiot ahead to do something dangerous.

In this case the pickup was 100 meters along the road, so probably not just pulling out without looking.

IMO, probably bike rider's fault.

Must have been doing some speed for the bike to break in two.

• Like 1

thaibeachlovers    9,421
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, MadMuhammad said:

Furthermore, I'd be confident in saying a large majority of bike deaths in Thailand are by people operating 150cc or less bikes. 

Probably true, but how many are hit by cars and trucks?

Ace of Pop    8,901

Why does Ducati ,BMW,Hi So, manage to grab headlines, yet the Hundreds of splattered Joes on a Chuck Chaser never get a mention after the most horrific of accidents ..[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Joebuzz    92
On 9/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, champers said:

They are both guilty of driving in Thailand.

Far too many times I have been driving along minding my own business on a straight piece of road with no one behind me for a long long way and some jerk will pull out in front and crawl along at snails pace until they think that they are to speed causing me to have to brake to avoid hitting them, and I can assure you that I do not drive fast especially in and around town, maybe 60 kmh at most, so I reckon Somchai saw the bike but just kept on going out of the junction and the bike, unfortunately had nowhere to go. Sad, very sad.