Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Soi Dog Foundation expands canine sterilisation, vaccination programme

Good job and kill those that are sick and feeble (the dogs not the owners - although both options are tempting sometimes).

Edited by LannaGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They should come to Pattaya and expand their services to include taxi drivers, ladyboy thieves, and beach vendors.

Not this nonsense again, these people are not helping the situation. While they might stop a few hundred mating, a few million more are shelling out puppies daily. It's like trying to stop a flooding boat from sinking by using a spoon to bale out the water. Extermination on a massive scale is what is needed to solve the problems these pests create.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, loong said:

Although this is admirable, I wonder whether this will ever make more than a temporary dent in the number of strays.

If 80% are sterilised, how long will it take the remaining 20% to fill the gap?

Between 3 & 5 years judging by the last time this kind of action was undertaken.

I think they, and similar organisations (Koh Samui Animal Sanctuary etc.) do a great job! Years ago these "soi" dogs were a real pest, especially when in  packs, but the situation is now a lot better, especially in beach areas. I think it is mostly due to the  sterling work done by these organisations and every time I have a few baht loose change in my pocket, I put it in the "doggie box on the bar"!

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I thought that your question was a good one, so I did a quick search on-line for an answer. Unfortunately, I did not find a clear answer regarding the effectiveness of these programs, and certainly no specific numbers/data.

In the various articles that I read, there are three items which seem to be needed for an effective program:

• Catch/sterilize/release
  • Control of food supply (garbage)
  • Public education

I am not really sure what to say about these three items.

If they manage to achieve the 80% target (especially in females), then there should be a noticeable difference in a relatively short time. And logically, it will take a while to "fill the gap" again. Further, we are on an island, so the physical barrier will make this kind of thing much more effective; one article noted that some programs failed because (dogs especially) will roam far to find a bitch in heat.

Food supply/garbage. What can I say? We all see loads of garbage on the island, so I think there will be an adequate food supply for a long time. Perhaps if they fix the bloody incinerator sometime, that will help!

Public education. Again, what can I say? I think some Thais would be happy to have their pets spayed, but aren't willing to spend the money to do so. And, some don't seem to care if their pets get knocked up. Public attitudes will be hard to change.

In spite of the above, I think this is a great program and needs to be done, even if there will need to be a return visit by the Soi Dog Foundation in a few years. We humans helped to create this situation, and we have a responsibility to help fix/mitigate it. 

Any members knowledgeable about these kinds of programs? Or any members better at finding answers on-line?

Cheers

Very good post, and may I suggest that you check out  "Koh Samui Animal Sanctuary" and "The  Dog Rescue Centre, Samui" They also do good work!

P.S. You are spot on about the incinerator!

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

P.S. You are spot on about the incinerator!

Water content would be high so cheaper to bury them.