Thailand Forum
rooster59

Resort hotel in Hua Hin alleged of cheating holiday-goers

rooster59    2,229

Resort hotel in Hua Hin alleged of cheating holiday-goers

hotel.jpg

A group of about 10 holiday-goers yesterday lodged complaint with the Consumer Protection Police Division (CPPD) accusing a resort hotel in Hua Hin of fraud.

The group led by Thanat Waranont, 37, told Pol Maj-Gen Prasert Pattana, CPPD commander on Sept 8 that they bought the resort hotel packages at a tourism fair organised by the Tourism Authority of Thailand and a pet fair at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre in May this year.

The package deal cost 999-10,000 baht, depending on the days of staying, and is valid for one year. But what attracted to buy the package deals was because it allowed pets in.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/resort-hotel-hua-hin-alleged-cheating-holiday-goers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-09

nausea    1,043

The hotel won't be defrauding anyone, it's closed down (source article). I suppose the point is that you'd expect a TAT organised fair to host legitimate operators.

neeray    303

There is an English saying, "shit happens"!! If the hotel is out of business, depending on how insolvency took place, 60% is a pretty good refund. 

• Like 2

toofarnorth    538
2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

And yet the consumer protection police division can't/won't name the hotel due to absurd defamation laws and therefore are unable to protect consumers from further scams. Utterly ridiculous.

I lived in H/H several years ago , had I stayed at this resort ?  I thought I would look to see, nup , time wasted.

hhinhh    68
5 hours ago, Gregster said:

If they paid with a credit card they will get a full refund

Probably not, it is not the credit cards business to check wheher you bought something sustainable. Only if you have a special insurance you can expect a refund.

• Like 1

Gregster    109
Probably not, it is not the credit cards business to check wheher you bought something sustainable. Only if you have a special insurance you can expect a refund.

You're wrong.

FYI If a merchant does not provide advertised goods or services your bank can reverse the credit card transaction.

Google "chargeback".

Hope this helps.

inThailand    987
15 minutes ago, Gregster said:

You're wrong.

FYI If a merchant does not provide advertised goods or services your bank can reverse the credit card transaction.

Google "chargeback".

Hope this helps.

Do you get the same protection from a credit card issued by a Thai bank?

neeray    303
6 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Do you believe everything you read on Thaivisa?

Maybe we will hear from some one with actual experience? 

Whether or not a credit card offers that facility may be a moot point. If the resort has gone out of business, the merchant services (credit card facility) would have been cancelled. Thus, the credit card company may deny a refund. Also, I believe there is a time limit on chargebacks. And if there is no company to charge back to, the OP may be SOL. There are too many unknowns here. 

inThailand    987

My home country cc would issue a full refund for product or services not provided, and not of my fault.

Using my home country cc here and getting a refund typically takes 4-6 weeks. Back home immediate or at most a day or two.

Why get a cc from the micky mouse banks here when you get a real one back home?

jacko45k    4,594
37 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Do you get the same protection from a credit card issued by a Thai bank?

Well on the slips I sign they have especially printed 'NO REFUNDS' in English which makes me doubtful from the get go.

Gregster    109
Well on the slips I sign they have especially printed 'NO REFUNDS' in English which makes me doubtful from the get go.

Chargeback is available in Thailand. It's part of Visa's standard operational policy.
  • Like 1