Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
bkk7

Changing old $100 bill in BKK?

bkk7    6

Where can I change an old USD 100 bill? It's a 1991 bill. Not ripped, in good shape.

bkk6060    635

You may try Super Rich but I have to tell you I have tried to exchange much younger bills then that, and it is a no go.

Just check around at some places and good luck..

samsensam    3,012

i'd guess not, my thai friends often give me plies of old notes to take home and change for current ones

blackcab    1,757

You need to find an American person who is going home.

None of the banks or exchanges will touch it.

nisakiman    1,151

I'm not American, so I rarely use Dollars, but I'm intrigued to know why banks and money changers in Thailand won't change old notes. That same thing doesn't apply to Pounds or Euros, as far as I'm aware (although the notes aren't dated), so what is it with US Dollars?

Jdietz    848

It's because everybody and their sister prints those things, IIRC 1991 was a famous year for counterfeits.

samsensam    3,012
29 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

I'm not American, so I rarely use Dollars, but I'm intrigued to know why banks and money changers in Thailand won't change old notes. That same thing doesn't apply to Pounds or Euros, as far as I'm aware (although the notes aren't dated), so what is it with US Dollars?

yes it does apply  to uk withdrawn banknotes as they cease to be legal tender. however they maintain their value indefinitely and can be exchanged, in the case of uk banknotes, by commercial banks (usually where you have an account) or by the bank of england.

Xaos    322

Thai banks dont take notes older then 1996.

U might get like 1000thb for it if u lucky.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

blackcab    1,757
On 10/09/2017 at 11:00 PM, nisakiman said:

I'm not American, so I rarely use Dollars, but I'm intrigued to know why banks and money changers in Thailand won't change old notes.

Because the currency wholesalers they sell the cash to don't want them. All they can do is hold on to the old note and give it to someone who wants dollars and who isn't fussy.

The thing with currency exchange is that the margins are thin. It's all about volume. So converting good money into an old note that has to sit on the shelf makes no sense at all.