Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

1 dead 2 injured as motorbike crashes into parked bus on Jomtien second road

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

True, the parked buses were not doing anything illegal.  And, that, of course, is the problem and safety issue.  Way too many roads allow parking  when they should be marked no parking.  Much of Jomtien Second Road is a good example.  An even better example is Jomtien Beach Road where it narrows down at the southern end.  Barely wide enough for 2 car lanes, even it is not marked for no parking. 

I think very much NOT so important...... Young guys out partying all night and racing along could smash into an Electric Post........ It just happened to be a parked bus but could have been a trash truck picking up rubbish..... Or ANYTHING.......... People on motorbikes driving sensibly don't smash into stationary items when driving with 'their full facilities'............

Look at the bright side, now there are a few less 'irresponsible ' Thai guys to get Thai girls pregnant and fail to look after them and their children....... I think 3 Thai girls out there 'have been blessed'.............

20 hours ago, nasanews said:

Definitely speeding was the cause but tragic RIP young man.

And no headlight

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Like I have said, employees of such businesses begin work at 5am, and not riding their motorcycle 3 astride on the road.

More grist to your "Mill of Denial":

Mae Wilai Market Until Dawn

Every day, 24 hours

Pattaya Rak Center (Seafood)

Every Day,1am -10am

Theprasit Night market

Every day, 5.01 am - 12pm.

And countless other places that, unlike these three, are "not in the book".

I would stick to the property if I were you.........you come across as quite "normal" when you do.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

More grist to your "Mill of Denial":

Mae Wilai Market Until Dawn

Every day, 24 hours

Pattaya Rak Center (Seafood)

Every Day,1am -10am

Theprasit Night market

Every day, 5.01 am - 12pm.

And countless other places that, unlike these three, are "not in the book".

I would stick to the property if I were you.........you come across as quite "normal" when you do.

Back to my question. What business establishment begins at 6am?

Even shift work have these timings:

Two-shift - 7am to 7pm eg security

Three-shift 7am, 3pm and 11pm eg factory

Thus, the 3 on that motorcycle were probably on the way back from an outing, and not on the way to work.

Edited by trogers

Heartless of me, but absolutely no pity here.

When Thais have near misses with me I can see them smiling and laughing all the way down the road.... while I deal with a heart attack.

Hope they don't sue the bus owner.

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, trogers said:

What business establishment opens at 6am in Jomtien or Pattaya?

A hundred or so warehouses that supply drinks, ice, produce to shops and restaurants. Plus numerous repair facilities for bikes and cars.  Schools, hotels, shops that have morning staff before it opens to the public. 

Life is very active before the bar opens.

2 minutes ago, JayBird said:

A hundred or so warehouses that supply drinks, ice, produce to shops and restaurants. Plus numerous repair facilities for bikes and cars.  Schools, hotels, shops that have morning staff before it opens to the public. 

Life is very active before the bar opens.

Sure there is, but what business requires staff to clock in at 6am?

I have stated the businesses that needs clocking in before 5am and 7am. Can you name a business in that area that stipulate 6am.

There is in Bangkok - the mass transit system.

I recall a story of an Expat in Phuket facing charges for having parked on the side of the road and a girl rode into the back of his car killing herself...   I'm not certain of the outcome....

I wonder whether or not the bus driver will face similar circumstances.

While it is plainly obvious that the motorcycle riders were a fault for the accident when hitting a stationary object, the bus may have been parked illegally in an area of low / no light and thus be somewhat complicit. 

A vehicle cannot simply be safely parked in a 'traffic' lane.. If said vehicle is broken down measures should of course be taken to clearly mark the vehicle for the safety of others approaching. 

As far as I am aware there is no restrictions to parking on Jomtien second road except at a few places where they have the red and white stripes on the kerb mainly at junctions. The photo shows no red and white stripes and it doesn't look near a junction either... motorcycle totally at fault.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Prairieboy said:

Wherever they were going it is amazing that they couldn't see a parked bus!  Why were there 3 persons on the bike?  I see no evidence of helmets.  Karma!

The dark sunglasses and lack of headlight may have been an issue.

They were probably drunk and stupid, a lethal combination .