Thailand Forum
webfact

Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

webfact    24,332

Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

X2.jpg

Image: Facebook

PATTAYA: -- Mystery surrounds the death of a 28 year old Russian tourist found dead in Soi Bua Khao, central Pattaya this morning.

Local police chief Apichai Krobpetch led Sawang Boriboon medics to the area of a hotel where they found the body of Ekaterina Butakova.

The Russian was staying with a female compatriot at the hotel that was not named. They were staying in Room 617 on the sixth floor.

Police found a shoe belonging to the victim on the balcony.

Both women had been out to Walking Street. The victim's friend had come back first.

She was unable to shed any light on the incident.

The body was sent for autopsy. Police said that she may have tripped or decided to jump, reported the "We Love Pattaya" page on Facebook.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-11

cyberfarang    3,440

Police said that she may have tripped or decided to jump.

Of course, what else could it have been? Case closed.

• Like 1

Maggusoil    1,095
3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Police said that she may have tripped or decided to jump.

Of course, what else could it have been? Case closed.

Can we have pushed? Yes decided to jump. Oh well. My God, the profundity of it all. 

Poor woman. 

observer90210    1,218
2 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

Balconies with Dwarf proof height of the railing. With glass windows with warning signs in red and yellow on them?              Perhaps its because there is no Thai Visa Forum in other countries but it seems to me, anecdotally at least, there are a very high proportion of these deaths in for example Pattya and say, Bangkok.     Is this a Thai thing? Or is it common elsewhere? Do any of you balcony experts know the answer to this?

IMHO I am tempted to say that the heigh of the railings cater the Thai anatomy and height, and are maybe not adapted to western anatomy and taller builds as much for men as for western females.

• Like 1

Shiver    540
1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Better change the law in Pattaya and construct hotels with only 1 floor above ground level!!!!!

RIP to the poor girl....

Condolences to her family.

As I read the headline and thinking 'oh no, not again', I'm wondering why with the frequency of these events of falling, that balconies aren't modified to make it more difficult to have an accident (an actual or a postured one).

marquis22    221
37 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

Balconies with Dwarf proof height of the railing. With glass windows with warning signs in red and yellow on them?              Perhaps its because there is no Thai Visa Forum in other countries but it seems to me, anecdotally at least, there are a very high proportion of these deaths in for example Pattya and say, Bangkok.     Is this a Thai thing? Or is it common elsewhere? Do any of you balcony experts know the answer to this?

Difficult to know about 'elsewhere' as many countries do not allow probably suicidal deaths to be broadcasted like they are in Thailand.

• Like 1

masuk    1,732
42 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

IMHO I am tempted to say that the heigh of the railings cater the Thai anatomy and height, and are maybe not adapted to western anatomy and taller builds as much for men as for western females.

Australian/NZ standards:

The height of a Balustrade or Barrier must not be less than:

• 1m above the floor of any access path, balcony, landing where it is not bounded by a wall and its level above the surface is 1m or more than 4m where a person is able to fall through an open window
  • 865mm above the floor of a landing to a stair or ramp where the balustrade or other barrier is provided along the inside edge of the landing and is not more than 500mm long.>