Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

A few points. First regarding ATM machines before immigration for those who wanted to get money out. I asked and there is not any - however at the Bureau de Change if you hold an account with the particular banks (certainly Kasikorn and SCB) then can use ATM card to withdraw funds. I inadvertently passed through immigration on the way out of the country and realised I had not taken out enough money and went to the Kasikorn BdC and no problem to take money out of the account. There is also a kasikorn before immigration as wanted to convert dollars back into baht on arriving back into Thailand to make sure that I had the 20k in Baht (I know that any denomination should be acceptable but wanted to have it in Baht). The second point was that immigration was significantly improved regarding processing. Before reaching immigration, there is staff to check that everyone has properly completed the TM6 (arrival/departure card) thereby reducing the delays caused by people doing them at the immigration desks. Also rather than a scramble to select which booth to go to, a snake system is in place and then an official directs people to available immigration desks. It was such a pleasant contrast to previous experiences as I was through in no time at all. Came in on a non-imm B and no request to show money but not sure of what was the case for others as the process was so streamlined today that I didn't have the opportunity to observe other people's experiences. 

• Like 1

Good to hear things have improved. I deliberately booked flights via Swampy recently to avoid Don Mueng and paid a higher price for the convenience.

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Good to hear things have improved. I deliberately booked flights via Swampy recently to avoid Don Mueng and paid a higher price for the convenience.

I wonder if lots of others have as well as when i went there two days ago it was exceptionally quite. Very quick and no hassle.

Edited by jeab1980

Really?? I entered through Don Muang just a few weeks ago and I am not kidding I had to wait in the immigration Que for more than an hour. All counters (around 10 - 15 of them I think) where open that I could see. I arrived in late afternoon and the place was absolutely packed with people. My Wife and Daughter went through the Thai passport counters and it took less than a minute, she then had to wait for me for another hour.

It seems it depends on what time of the day you arrive.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Confused 1

It's improved from what it was sure (the snake system was in place from May this year at least) but it's still an airport that I make sure I arrive at at least 3 hours prior to departure. Be unlucky enough to catch a few Chinese flights and, as last time, it took 55 minutes to clear outward immigration. The problem rate with incorrectly filled in departure cards or passport issues seems to increase dramatically with some nationalities!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Really?? I entered through Don Muang just a few weeks ago and I am not kidding I had to wait in the immigration Que for more than an hour. All counters (around 10 - 15 of them I think) where open that I could see. I arrived in late afternoon and the place was absolutely packed with people. My Wife and Daughter went through the Thai passport counters and it took less than a minute, she then had to wait for me for another hour.

It seems it depends on what time of the day you arrive.

If you had family you could have gone through thai lane with them i always do.

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

If you had family you could have gone through thai lane with them i always do.

Wow, didn't know that. reason I didn't try was I saw some other people try to sneak through there and they where stopped, I didn't want to loose my place in the Que....

• Like 1

Wow, didn't know that. reason I didn't try was I saw some other people try to sneak through there and they where stopped, I didn't want to loose my place in the Que....

Except that where the Thais now use the biometric scanners to get back in , we foreigners cannot. Had this at Swampy 2 weeks ago. Wife thru ages before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Othello said:

Except that where the Thais now use the biometric scanners to get back in , we foreigners cannot. Had this at Swampy 2 weeks ago. Wife thru ages before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep there is that when they are working of course. Mrs just goes to booth if im with her IO seems to realise and stamps us both in.

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Just follow behind your wife, when she has finished with IO ask her to let the IO knows that you are her husband/freang,

most if not all will allow you...good luck next time...

Just now, thairookie said:

Is it the law that "every tourist" must carry 20,000 baht in order to enter Thailand?

Slightly of topic but i belive for certain visa's the IO can ask you to produce 20k bht or other currency to the same value. Not heard of any holiday makers coming in on Exempt being asked to show.

It would be really nice if they called us aliens over to the Thai desks when they have no Thai 'customers', instead of just sitting there watching aliens queue for up to an hour. But they don't care about us as we aren't Thai. It can't be because they can't speak English if needed, because none of them can.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1