Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Bangkok Barry

What visa options are available?

A Dutchman who has recently reached retirement age is living with my sister-in-law and supporting her and her two sons. He has so far been surviving on 30-day tourist visas as well as making a trip or two to KL, but he's now running out of visa options. He does not want to marry as then he loses a large percentage of his Dutch pension.

What are his options, please?

Thai Elite visa it depends how much money he has to spend or willing to pay for it as there is many options.

Just now, paul18620 said:

Thai Elite visa it depends how much money he has to spend or willing to pay for it as there is many options.

Thanks. But I doubt that he has the money up-front for that.

if this is what you are saying then I guess the retirement visa is also a no go as he needs 800,000 that in a bank account for 3 months before he applies for it.

but if you know the right people there is ways around this as many people don't have this kind of money to qualify for this visa and they can get it but there is a fee for this kind of service.

I think he has been getting 30 day visa exempt entries. A tourist visa allows a 60 day entry.

If he is 50 or over he could get a one year extension based upon retirement. He would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

If he cannot qualify for the extension he should be getting single entry tourist visas which would allow him a stay of 90 days by extending the 60 day entry for 30 days.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If he cannot qualify for the extension he should be getting single entry tourist visas which would allow him a stay of 90 days by extending the 60 day entry for 30 days.

I think that's what he's been doing, but isn't there a limit on how many tourist visas he can have?

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think that's what he's been doing, but isn't there a limit on how many tourist visas he can have?

You wrote 30 days which is not a entry from a tourist visa.

The only limit on getting tourist visas is how many you can get at one embassy or consulate.

Okay. His problem recently was that he looked on the Thai government website to check what was required but when he got to Savannakhet there were new rules posted on the window re the 20,000 baht & ticket out stuff that was introduced at the beginning of this year. The website hasn't yet been updated, or so he told me. He printed out the page that is now on the website but it makes no mention of the above. The girl he spoke with there was very pleasant about saying no, though.

He is getting 60 day tourist entries and goes to Sakon Nakon to get another 30 days added, and is content to do that for now. So ubonjoe #5 above nailed it. Thanks. The way the rules are constantly revised though makes him nervous.

I wonder how many people there are in Thailand who, like him, support a Thai family but there is no visa that is properly relevant to them. I guess maybe not many, as most are willing and able to marry a local. It seems silly to me that he has to rely on tourist visas when he isn't a tourist. In a year or two, when he's cleared some debts in Europe, he'll go for the retirement visa.

If all else fails, a marriage in Thailand, not registered with the Dutch authorities, would give him more options.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If all else fails, a marriage in Thailand, not registered with the Dutch authorities, would give him more options.

Interesting thought.

"A Dutchman who has recently reached retirement age is living with my sister-in-law and supporting her and her two sons. He has so far been surviving on 30-day tourist visas as well as making a trip or two to KL, but he's now running out of visa options. He does not want to marry as then he loses a large percentage of his Dutch pension.

What are his options, please?"

Marrying or not has no bearing on his pension, it is the living situation that counts. That means he is in violation already, and would officially have lost a part of his pension when he started to live with her.

Marrying would be a good idea, since that would help his visa situation here, and as long as he does not tell Dutch authorities the practical situation has not changed (so he would still be cheating the Dutch system, same as he is now).

Edit: just noticed BritTim is giving the same suggestion.

Edited by stevenl

Tell him to go chat with a visa agent and see what they come up with.

5 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Tell him to go chat with a visa agent and see what they come up with.

No many of them up here in Isaan.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He is getting 60 day tourist entries and goes to Sakon Nakon to get another 30 days added

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No many of them up here in Isaan.

Doesnt need to be a agent in issan (there are a few) Skype one in pattaya. Join Kk expat comunity on FB  a good few advertising on there.

Edited by jeab1980